Re: How fix severe battery drain since 7.1.1 update?
CholinMS
Enthusiast - Level 3

As a follow up my phone died this morning at around 67% and would not turn back on until I plugged it in again, at which point the battery reported 67% charged. When I got to my office it had gone up to 88%. I then rebooted the phone and it came back up at 8%. 2018-05-08 09.05.39.png2018-05-08 09.10.04.png

As my screenshots show there was less than 4 minutes between screenshots and the only thing I did was reboot the phone.

Once the phone is back to 100% I will start taking more screenshots of the battery status page on the phone.

VERVU26
Enthusiast - Level 2

My XT6150 (Moto Z Force Droid) is having battery issues like no other. My Incipio battery pack died on me (which I have no idea why) and also my phone shuts off immediately at 15% where before it would shut off at 1%. This is ridiculous and frustrating to the nth degree.

scphil
Enthusiast - Level 2

I also have a Xt6150.  Here is the problem. I tried this with my phone and my daughters' who has the same one.

If you have battery draining (after 7.1.1 upgrade), your battery will not be calibrated.

here is how you can get you phone working for more than 20hrs at one charge :

Go to recovery mode (vol down, power ) at menu scroll down with vol down to recovery mode. when phone comes back, press power key and tap power up key ) menu will appear, you choose delete cache.

when it reboots, turn power off . put phone on your charger. let it charge( not turned on) until it reaches 100%. Actually it is not 100% it thinks it is. Now turn on your phone again. you may see only 68% or so. That is because turbochargers only charge till 70% then switch to regular mode, but this mode does not work when the phone is off. so you have to charge the remainder 30% when phone is on.

you can plug it back in and charge like this, until it reaches 100%.  I personally turn it into airplane mode.

when the other 30% is charged on the phone,  (unplug, and check %. if its not yet 100 when you unplug, charge it some more ) it will discharge at regular rate till empty . In my case this is always around 25 hrs or so. with some phone use and browsing.

I also recommend letting it discharge in airplane mode completely before you start re-using the phone.

If you don't, the phone will discharge quicker, and not recalibrate fully.  I also recommend swithcing on the battery saver (in the battery status screen)

Screenshot_20180507-072326 (1).png

You can monitor discharge with the free ampere app( download it) the free one has ads) .

you can see how much your phone charges or discharges. usually, with heavy use, you wil be negative, even while charging. That is why the battery calibration can't fully work if you keep on using your phone while doing this. Be Patient and let it discharge without much load, ( It may take 24 hrs or so , but its worth it). Do this during  a weekend or so.

once fully discharged, you can plug your phone in, let it charge offline first, then, restart and recharge the remainder 30%.

That's it your phone battery should be recalibrated.

Note : people recommend to do this procedure maybe every 2-3 months but not more, as it burdens the battery more than it would do good concerning the lifetime of the battery.

Screenshot_20180507-104345.pngScreenshot_20180507-104519.png

Here you see : after 14 hrs in mostly airplane mode (during recalibration process). still 6 hrs left.

Screenshot (May 7, 2018 9_40_01 PM).png

remember : if you start using the phone at great discharge during the recalibration process .. after a while, it will degrade rapidly, because it has not fully recalibrated yet.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for sharing those screenshots with us today, CholinMS. We’ve almost exhausted all of our troubleshooting before we explore warranty replacement options. We do have one last thing to test, however. What happens if you restart your device in safe mode? Do you notice any change in the battery drain? Here’s how to restart in safe mode: https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-205258/

Safe mode will disable any 3rd party applications that may be impacting the battery life on your device. We recommend leaving your phone in safe mode for a full charge cycle.

JosephE_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
MADMAXMUTT
Enthusiast - Level 3

vzw_customer_support

I understood what you were asking. I didn't try to remove Google Play Services. I tried to disable it, which is locked out for some reason.   No joy.

0 Likes
MADMAXMUTT
Enthusiast - Level 3

@CholinMS 

Exact same symptoms for the most part.

We have noticed that at times it lasts a few minutes, but mostly it shuts down when the first app is opened immediately. No matter which app is opened. And this phone lasted a day or more until this update was recieved. Now it is less than a half hour no matter what.

0 Likes
MADMAXMUTT
Enthusiast - Level 3

Recovery mode only says "no command" waits a minute or so and reboots.

0 Likes
MADMAXMUTT
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thank you for sharing those screenshots with us today, CholinMS. We’ve almost exhausted all of our troubleshooting before we explore warranty replacement options. We do have one last thing to test, however. What happens if you restart your device in safe mode? Do you notice any change in the battery drain? Here’s how to restart in safe mode: https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-205258/

Safe mode will disable any 3rd party applications that may be impacting the battery life on your device. We recommend leaving your phone in safe mode for a full charge cycle.

JosephE_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

I have tried safe mode a dozen times. No difference.

MADMAXMUTT
Enthusiast - Level 3

His phone now says "We're planning an Android 8.0 Oreo update for your device . . . check back in a few weeks"

Seriously hoping this update resets whatever the 7.1.1 update messed up on this phone. Too much money spent on these devices for the MFG to mess them up with poorly validated updates!!!

0 Likes
CholinMS
Enthusiast - Level 3

I did the testing in Safe Mode as you mentioned and took screenshots during the process. My battery life only increased by a few minutes and a 100% charge only lasted a little more than an hour.2018-05-10 09.32.16.png2018-05-10 09.41.16.png2018-05-10 10.47.29.png2018-05-10 10.47.38.png2018-05-10 11.23.30.png

Just after the 42% the phone died and would not turn on again until it had been plugged in.

scphil​: I also ran through your suggestion and according to the AccuBattery App that had been recommended in  another forum my battery capacity was Estimated capacity 527 mAh of the Design capacity 3000 mAh.2018-05-09 05.31.10.png

After the recalibration my battery is now reporting 233 mAh as the estimated capacity.2018-05-10 14.12.35.png.

0 Likes