Re: How fix severe battery drain since 7.1.1 update?
CholinMS
Enthusiast - Level 3

So the issue was not really resolved on the original hardware but I was able to do a warranty replacement and my battery is again lasting most of a day unless I use a taxing app or stream video continuously. Based on the behavior I saw from the phone and the testing that I did on it, when 7.1.1 was installed on the phone something changed in the way the phone managed the charging and being plugged in. Do to that the battery reached the end of its life much sooner than originally projected, considering a full charge only gave about an hour of use or less by the time I received my replacement.

Now this is all speculation at this point but Verizon/Motorola should be able to test this out and validate my theory.

simplem
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have followed all the troubleshooting steps for poor, erratic battery life with no success.  Right now, I cannot use the phone off of the charger because it dies within 5 minutes of unplugging.  None of the clear cache, safe mode, FDR, or Battery calibration steps help.  The battery appears to be failing.  The inability to fully charge the phone, the slow rate of charging, the erratic battery level after restart, and unpredictable nature of the battery level when the phone automatically shuts off makes it seem that the battery is the problem.  There is a 200+ page thread in the Motorola forums about this issue and MANY of the 2016 Moto Z Droid phones are having these problems.  It makes me think there was a bad batch of batteries or a design flaw.  I also wonder is the turbo charge (rapid charging) damages the battery life.  I would love to return the phone and get a replacement but I'm a few months out of warranty.  I don't want to pay $150 to have a battery replacement.  What is my best course of action?

MADMAXMUTT
Enthusiast - Level 3

vzw_customer_support

"simplem, We want to make sure everyone has a working phone. Your battery life is important, and we will look into this for you. I know that you stated that you tried some troubleshooting steps, but I need to make sure they were the right ones. Follow this link for instructions on how to extend your battery life: Extend Battery Life - Moto Z Droid Edition / Force | Verizon Wireless

Ralpht_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!"

LOL!  Not only have you not read all these problems in this thread that are unresolved by any provided troubleshooting, but you provided a dead link. Verizon should be buying all these broken phones back, providing stiff discounts on replacements or repairing them for free. You have no answers for the update that ruined our phones except patronizing statements, like "We want to make sure everyone has a working phone."

I had to go purchase a new phone because of this with no help from Verizon or Motorola/Lenova after the update.

Thanks A LOT!

jonasnoble
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've been following this thread for months hoping for a solution that didn't require going without a phone for weeks while mine is being repaired. I see now Verizon and the software developers have done nothing to correct a problem they induce. I'm surprised a class action hasn't being initiated, but I'm watching and ready to join when I see one.

In the meantime, has anyone heard a release date for Oreo 8.0 on this phone? And is there any chance it may fix what they broke in 7.1.1?

0 Likes
JGwiz
Contributor - Level 1

Verizon is deaf on this problem, and apparently dumb, as well.  For months now we have had a notice on our phones that the Oreo update will be coming in a few weeks.   LOL, the joke is on Verizon customers. 

And the battery drain?  Deaf and dumb. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

JGwiz, we understand how important it is to know when to expect a new software update for your phones. Please click on the following link to get all the updates and know when the new software release will be available for your phone.

https://forms.verizonwireless.com/dgf/optin/2012/08282012_general_optin/

Also to address your concern about the battery drain. The last thing we want is for you to be without of a phone because you ran out of battery. To better assist, could you please elaborate more on this issue?

Monica_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
joeducati

The exact same battery drain on my Moto Z, it shuts down randomly now, can't count on the phone being alive off the charger at all now.  I just did the Oreo update at work and the same random shut down is happening.  I'm frustrated with this phone beyond belief!  I've owned several Motorola phones over the years and this will be my last one!!

0 Likes
joeducati

My Moto Z is doing the exact same thing!  I've cleared cache, done a factory reset twice, tried to condition the battery, nothing is helping.  I even bought a moto mod battery pack and the phone battery does not even take that charge anymore!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

joeducati, we want to make sure you have no problems with your phone battery and we'll definitely do everything we can to help you. We have some troubleshooting steps for short battery life you can follow on our website for the Moto Z. I'm sure these will help with your battery life. https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-83067/

Jesus_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
DEANOR15
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just saw this post. I read through like 11 pages of responses to your post and never saw anything but completely useless replies from Verizon. My Moto Z started doing this about a month ago, I called Verizon, and was told the phone had a defective battery. And apparently they have known this for a while. They replaced my phone immediately with a phone that is supposed to have a good battery in it - like sent it overnight and I had it the next day. I didn't read the last couple if pages, but in what I read, I never saw a response from Verizon telling you about the defective battery. That would have been a lot simpler than the run around you got from the online "customer service". Hope this helps!