Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
iPhone 15 Plus. Newphoria. Get it on us with select Unlimited plans. New line req'd. No trade-in req'd. Online only. Ends 3.31. Buy  |  Details.
end of navigation menu
3.2M Members 4,383 Members online 268K Discussions 44K Solutions
I have a moto z2 play that just upgraded to oreo and is now in a boot loop
BBMAC7

It won't finish it's initial boot. Any suggestions?'

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: I have a moto z2 play that just upgraded to oreo and is now in a boot loop
DJMAudio
Enthusiast - Level 2

Identical issue here with my Z2.... Happened on Friday... Verizon shipped me a replacement on Saturday.  Same thing happened to my second one.

Went to the Verizon store, they couldn't help me and were about to ship me a 3rd one...

I DID HOWEVER SOLVE THE ISSUE!

During the bootloop hold down the power and volume down button to get into the bootloader.

Once in the bootloader select recovery mode.  You'll get the android symbol with no command.  Press and hold down the power button and a second later tap the volume up button.  This will give you the ability to factory reset your phone.  Sadly this was the only way I could find to get back to normal.  HOWEVER... Once factory reset and you get to your main setup screen, follow everything that gets you logged into your Google account and the phone to the main screen.  DO NOT UPDATE ANY APPS.... By default there was 41 apps on the phone included with Verizon. 

The issue is the SECURITY AND PRIVACY app once updated.  You have to force stop and disable the security and privacy app... It's latest version is what's creating the bootloop.  Once you disable the security and privacy app you can update everything as normal.

Pretty crazy that verizon's own app caused such a headache.  They were just going to keep throwing the same model phones at the problem replicating the same issue over and over.

Hope this helps... GOOD LUCK!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for reaching out. To clarify, how long ago did you update.

DillonY_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZSupport.

If my response answered your question please click the Correct Answer button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from out conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this! 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

BBMAC7, we want to make sure that you can stay connected on your device. How long has it been since you updated the device? Have you attempted any troubleshooting steps?

JoseL_VZW

0 Likes
BBMAC7

Did online support, did not help. Went to store, they will replace phone. Based upon above comment, don't expect that to work either. They gave me a loaner for now.

0 Likes
BBMAC7

The power button with the volume button did not do anything on my phone

0 Likes
DJMAudio
Enthusiast - Level 2

Verizon did email me saying that they are looking into it.
Here's what I posted to them:

VERY IMPORTANT!

Confirmed on multiple phones......

The October 26th 2018 Oreo release to the Z2 Play CAN/WILL Cause a boot loop if you have a Verizon Phone and you update the Security and Privacy App.

IF.... you get stuck in a boot loop on your Z2 after updating to oreo or updating your Security and Privacy app you unfortunately have to factory reset your phone, then disable/force quit the security and privacy app that defaultly is installed on the Verizon phone. 

To factory reset:

- Press and hold the power and volume down button at the same time to enter the boot loader.

- Select Recovery Mode

- You'll then get the android symbol with "no command" on the screen.

- Hold down the power button and tap the volume up button to get to the android recovery screen.

- On that screen select "wipe data/factory reset".

- Be sure to select "userdata + personalized content" to start fresh.

- After the wipe, select "Reboot system now".

Now that you're starting fresh go through your normal Google Login to get to the main screen.

VERY IMPORTANT... On all Verizon phones the Security and Privacy app comes installed and turned on by default.  DO NOT UPDATE IT, or you'll run into the same boot loop issue after a restart/power cycle.

Be sure to disable/force quit the Security and Privacy app before updating anything, either OS or other applications.  With the Security and Privacy app disabled the phone is running as it should on Oreo and I can update all of the other apps.

COME ON VERIZON... STEP IT UP... 3 DAYS OF FIGURING OUT THE EXACT ISSUE... VERIZON SHIPPED ME A 2ND PHONE BECAUSE THEY THOUGHT IT WAS HARDWARE AND THE IDENTICAL ISSUE HAPPENED.  WHAT DID THEY DO NEXT?  VERIZON SENT ME A 3RD PHONE WHICH IS PRESENTLY ON IT'S WAY TO ME.

EITHER STOP THE OREO UPDATE ON THE Z2 OR FIX THE SECURITY AND PRIVACY APP.

I HOPE THIS HELPS PEOPLE.  GOOD LUCK!!!

0 Likes
BBMAC7

I posted my response online. I’m getting a new phone but do not expect it to work for the update.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

0 Likes
BBMAC7

I updated right away on Friday. It appears that the Verizon security app is causing this problem for me and others too.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We're glad to hear a replacement is on the way for you, BBMAC7. Please let us know how the replacement works for you.

Danielle_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes