Incredibly frequent system updates and not on wifi
tinytabletop
Enthusiast - Level 3

I bought a Moto Z Force ten days ago and have already had five or six system updates and one unexplained restart. It is currently asking to install v. NCLS25.86-11-4-6-8. And the updates start downloading automatically even if I am not on wifi. Setting/System updates does not include a "download over wifi only" button. So my questions are:

1. Is there a security issue going on I should know about? I have never had so many system updates in such a short amount of time and these are all on a brand new phone.
  2. What was the restart about? I checked  "LAST SYSTEM UPDATE" immediately after and it was not an update.
  3. Am I eating up my data on these long downloads?
  4. How do I tell my phone to download over wifi only?
  5. BONUS QUESTION OR POSSIBLY A CLUE: A quick search for "NCLS25.86-11-4-6-8," the version my phone is currently asking to install, says it was put up March 1, before I had the phone. Why did it install all those previous versions and am I now up to date or are there more of these to come?

I think that's it. Perhaps those should have been five different threads, but they all seem to be related.

Thanks,

Martin

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Incredibly frequent system updates and not on wifi
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi, Tinytabletop, congratulations on your new device! The Droid Z Force is an amazing phone and I'm sure you'll love it. Software updates can be concerning, especially when you get a bunch of them at once. I can confirm that the one you shared is the most recently released update, and you can stay on top of any new releases here: https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/motorola-moto-z-droid-editions-update/ You will often see quite a few updates go through on a new phone, because it is catching up with any that have been released since it was put in the box, as well as the manufacturer putting out updates for all of the feedback they've gotten since the phone was first released. It's likely you will see more updates in the future, but no security concerns to worry about.

In regards to downloading the update over cellular, what are you seeing that indicates it's doing this? Generally, OS software updates require a Wifi connection to download. Installation can happen at any time after it's downloaded, so sometimes it seems like it's going over cellular data even when it's not. Have you had any issues with data usage or connectivity with your Wifi?

I also want to reassure you about your phone restarting. Unless you see this happen frequently, a random restart can happen for a multitude of reasons and don't indicate any inherent problems with the phone itself. If it has reoccurred since your last post, what is the phone doing just prior to the restart?

KarolineD_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
tinytabletop
Enthusiast - Level 3

Karoline,

"In regards to downloading the update over cellular, what are you seeing that indicates it's doing this?"

There is a message in the top menu (not really sure what that's called, but the pulldown information at the top of the screen) that says an update is downloading and a downward pointing arrow animates indicating a download is happening. This occurs while there is no indication that I have a wifi connection (either the wifi icon is grayed out or does not appear at all). In addition to this there is nothing under Settings/System updates that allows me to designate to download over wifi only.

"Have you had any issues with data usage or connectivity with your Wifi?"

While I can't be certain about usage, I feel like I blew through a lot of my data pretty quickly this month; I haven't really knowingly used much. Interestingly, and very possibly unrelated, yesterday I was repeatedly informed on Google maps that I was offline and so couldn't do any searches. I dropped into a Verizon store and the very knowledgable guy there couldn't get me online via data or wifi either. A quick restart seemed to resolve this, but I've never encountered that problem before.

Martin

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you so much for your clarification, tinytabletop. Let's look in another place to check on that usage. I'd like you to look under Settings> Data Usage> Mobile Data Usage. In this screen, you have an option to set your cycle period in order to get a good idea of how much data was used on which app during that period of time. If system updates are occurring over mobile data, it should show here. By tapping on System Updates, you'll also have the option to restrict background data over the mobile network (which most updates run in the background) or completely restrict mobile data in conjunction with the Data Saver setting. This is admittedly in a different place than prior settings options to restrict software updates over cellular data, so I appreciate you bringing this to our attention.

Another useful option in the Data Usage screen is towards the bottom, Wi-Fi Data Usage. By tapping on this, you'll be able to see how much data is being used while connected to Wi-Fi on which applications. This will help us determine if your Wi-Fi connectivity is working as it should.

Let me know what you find in these screens, tinytabletop.

0 Likes
tinytabletop
Enthusiast - Level 3

Verizon Wireless Customer Support wrote:

I'd like you to look under Settings> Data Usage> Mobile Data Usage. In this screen, you have an option to set your cycle period in order to get a good idea of how much data was used on which app during that period of time. If system updates are occurring over mobile data, it should show here.

OK, well I'm not seeing system updates listed here so I'm guessing it wasn't using up my data.

By tapping on System Updates, you'll also have the option to restrict background data over the mobile network (which most updates run in the background) or completely restrict mobile data in conjunction with the Data Saver setting. This is admittedly in a different place than prior settings options to restrict software updates over cellular data, so I appreciate you bringing this to our attention.

If I go to Settings>System Updates, there is no option for restricting background date over mobile network. All there is here is "Check for system update," "Show system update history" and "LAST SYSTEM UPDATE." And none of these lead me to anything to prohibit data download.

Another useful option in the Data Usage screen is towards the bottom, Wi-Fi Data Usage. By tapping on this, you'll be able to see how much data is being used while connected to Wi-Fi on which applications. This will help us determine if your Wi-Fi connectivity is working as it should.

Let me know what you find in these screens, tinytabletop.

The second largest usage under this is com.motorola.ccc:10001. I'm guessing that was system downloads?

Martin

0 Likes
tinytabletop
Enthusiast - Level 3

Sorry, forgot this. I would like to restrict downloads to when I'm on wifi. I really can't find this anywhere on this phone with this OS.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Tinytabletop, thank you so much for clarifying this for us. I know how important it is to have this WiFi setting to prevent data usage. Here's detailed information on how to restrict data usage by app on your device. http://vz.to/1Fy2R5Z Please keep us updated with your progress and let us know if you have additional questions for us or visit our support page. http://vz.to/1s96X1K

GersonG_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the  Correct Answer  button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
tinytabletop
Enthusiast - Level 3

Here's detailed information on how to restrict data usage by app on your device.
http://vz.to/1Fy2R5Z

GersonG,

That link took me to Data Usage FAQs. Though you would think that might be a helpful link, I can't figure out where on that page to find out how to restrict data usage. Several Qs talk about monitoring usage and #3 "What is indirect or background data usage?" even says, "you can adjust these functions in your device Settings." But nowhere in my setting devices can I find any such opportunity.

So my question stands: how on a Moto Z Force running NCLS25.86-11-4-6-8 can I restrict any and all downloads to wifi?

Thanks,

Martin

0 Likes
elfaure

Hey buddy-

I have the same issue and figured it out. TS sucks these days and Google gave me no joy on this search.

So go Settings > Apps | Show System (Upper Right 3 dot menu) and scroll down and find Device Management (blue icon) > Data Usage.

Open it and find two sliders "Use background data " and "Use unrestricted data usage (applies only when using Data Saver)" and turn one or both off. Notice below that Moto Update Services are controlled by this Device Manager. Viola system updates now will only download over wifi.

0 Likes