Message+ doesn't respond to voice
Namahage

I have a Moto Z 2 play with the 7.1.1. operating system.

The Message+ app (and the Message app) will not respond to my voice.  When i receive a text it announces the text, but then doesn't respond when I answer "yes" to hear the text.  It finally says "I'm having trouble, lets talk later."

Voice commands do work on my phone.  I can use the standard voice commands such as "Show me my Calendar", "Show me the Weather", etc.

I visited two Verizon stores to get technical support.  One technician told me the phone didn't like my voice.  Another told me it was a problem with my car's Bluetooth even though I told him it wouldn't recognize my voice even without Bluetooth.

I've have checked all the settings but obviously there is something I've missed. 

I've not seen anyone posting with this identical problem.

Anyone got any ideas?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Message+ doesn't respond to voice
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, Namahage. We certainly want the voice commands to work properly for you. Let's work together on getting this resolved. When did this issue start happening? Have there been any recent changes to your device (Software updates, new apps, games, etc.? 

GersonG_VZW    

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thank in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Namahage

There have been some apps added, but this was after I realized the voice response to text messages was not working.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for clarifying Namahage. I am sure we will get to the bottom of what is going on with your voice command and talk to text. We will work on one issue at a time since they both require different troubleshooting steps. Are you able to browse the internet or use the app successfully? Please do a device health https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-206364/ check and let me know if anything yellow or red comes up.

AmberF_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Namahage

Device Health Check was run and came back clean.  Just a couple of non-critical issues about battery usage and not having WiFi calling turned on.

Still unable to have the Moto Z2 Play properly announce texts and read texts as my Droid Turbo did.

The Droid Turbo had Moto Assist which is how I set up the ability to have the texts read.  The Moto Z2 Play has no Moto Assist, only Moto.  I'm wondering if the Moto Z2 Play even has the ability to announce and read text when triggered by driving. 

I'm about ready to take my old Droid Turbo with the broken screen back in and ask to have it reactivated and throw this new Moto Z2 Play in the trash.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I commend you for the legwork you’ve put in thus far, Namahage. We’d like for you to be happy with your device, and I agree that a new phone should at least perform the tasks of its predecessor. Let’s continue to eliminate culprits by placing the device in Safe Mode.

https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-212976/

What’s your experience when the phone is in this diagnostic state?

DavidH_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Namahage

I feel like I've fallen down the rabbit hole in Alice in Wonderland!  There simply isn't any way to get there.  The phone by all accounts is working properly.  Verizon has very simply removed the ability to have texts read aloud while driving!  When you turn on the driving mode now it mutes and/or auto-replies. 

You can turn on read text but it is on all the time not just while driving.

Looks like it's time to visit A T & T.  They will buy out my contract. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Just as Alice found her way through the looking glass, I’m sure we can reach an answer too, Namahage. What were your results when using it in Safe Mode? Using this link, are there any updates? If not, then uninstall and reinstall Moto: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.motorola.moto

After it’s installed again or updated, what settings are enabled in the Moto app under Talk to Me?

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes