Microphone not working for outbound calls/snapchat
Mouse_vs_World

Weird problem with my Moto Z Play -- not sure when it started because I mostly just text.

When I make outbound calls, or try to answer a call, no one on the other end can hear me.

If I try to record a video on snapchat [camera facing either way], it records awful static.

If I try to record a video through my phone's camera, or through instagram, the audio is crystal clear [camera facing either way].

If I have headphones with an inline mic, I can record VERY quiet audio on snapchat and make calls.

Any suggestions?

I have tried:

-Restarting my phone

-Removing snapchat and restarting my phone

-Removing other apps that access my microphone and restarting my phone

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Microphone not working for outbound calls/snapchat
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Mouse.vs.World, we understand the importance of correcting the issue that you are having with your Snapchat application not being able to make phone calls, and we would be glad to help you further troubleshoot, and find resolve your issue. To confirm, does your microphone work correctly when you make a phone call without using Snapchat?

David_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Mouse_vs_World

Hello! Thanks for replying!

The microphone doesn't work when making/receiving regular calls [I can hear THEM just fine, but they just get static or silence].

I don't use Snapchat to make calls, but when I try to record a video to send to someone, it picks up awful static instead of my voice.

However, when recording video through the default phone camera, and even Instagram, it will pick up my voice perfectly.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I see, thank you for verifying those details for us Mouse.vs.World. To confirm, for how long have you had this issue with your device, and also just to confirm has your device ever been physically damaged, or dropped in any liquid?

David_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Mouse_vs_World

Hello! I tried to respond to this on June 19th, via email--but I'm guessing it didn't go through. Here is the reply:

I've fumbled it a few times from, just like, hand/pocket height but not recently. No damage beyond some scuffing at the corners. It's never fallen in liquid.

I first noticed it towards the beginning of June. I don't make a lot of phone calls or record video on Snapchat very frequently though, so I'm not sure how accurate that is.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Let’s keep working at this, Mouse.vs.World. When you go to your apps, you will see one called “Device Help” .

Open this up and tap on “Fix” . Select “Hardware Tests” then "Microphone". What are the results?

David_VZW

0 Likes
Mouse_vs_World

Thanks! I ran the hardware test and the result is "Failed".

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for that information, in this case the best next step would be to perform a general reset of the device. Make sure that the phone information is backed up before following the next steps. Go to the Settings>System>Reset>Factory Data Reset>Reset Phone>Reset Everything. 

Alfredo_VZW

0 Likes
Mouse_vs_World

I did the factory reset [I backed up everything on the cloud, but may have done it incorrectly and lost a bunch of stuff--so I'm a little upset!]

But anyway, I have done the factory reset.

I went back into Device Help app and tested the microphone after the factory reset and it still registers as "failed".

0 Likes
Mouse_vs_World

Hello! I did the factory reset on July 17th but haven't gotten a a reply yet!

Testing the microphone after factory reset still got a "failed" result. What is the next step?

0 Likes