Moto Z Force not reading Micro SD card
SLB63

My moto z force will not read the micro sd card. The card is a kingston XC 128gb class 10 which is recommended for the phone. The card works in every other device i have, so we know the card is good. The phone will read my 16gb class 4 card, but not the 128gb card at all.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Moto Z Force not reading Micro SD card
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

SLB63-

I'm a mom who takes way too many photos, so I know how vital it is to have an SD card. I'm on the scene and confident we will get this resolved. How long has this been happening? Has your device ever been able to successfully read the 128GB SD card? What happens when you insert the SD card into the phone, do you see any errors?

AmberK_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

SLB63, help has arrived. My goal is to make sure that your device is able to read your SD Card without any issues. Has your phone be able to read this SD card before? Are you getting any errors on the device when you have the SD Card in the phone? Please keep me posted.

KevinR_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
TroyVelie

I have the same problem.  Using a 128Gb Samsung Evo, it worked fine when I bought it but now having issues.  VLC is able to read all songs I have on it, but Android Photos can't read any photos and File Manager also will not recognize the SD card.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

TroyVelie -

Losing access to your SD card is never fun. I have a lot of memories on mine as well. Have you attempted to try using the SD on your computer to see if the files can be read? Have you tried a new SD card in the phone to see if it may be an issue with the card reader on the phone?

EricaC_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
TroyVelie

Thanks for the reply. Yes I have tried it in my laptop and the laptop can read everything on the card just fine, all of my pictures, music and Amazon movies that are saved. It seems to be a problem with the phone. I try using the android file manager, or the camera and it says sd card not detected. Would saving things to the PC and reformatting the SD card help or can the phone be fixed/replaced?

The phone internal memory has 10gb free and the SD card has 90gb free (of 120), so there should not be any issue with space.

Troy

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

That's excellent that you're able to recover the files using your PC, TroyVelie. You're spot on with that next step, saving them to the PC then reformatting the SD card in the phone. Once it's reformatted on the phone, test the SD card. If you can save to it, then you can also use the PC to reload the items you want to the card. Let us know if you continue to have issues with the SD card in the phone.

GeorgeS_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the “Correct Answer” button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
sdrolz
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have this same problem.  Using a SanDisk Ultra 64GB microSD XC1.  My card is formated to be used as phone memory so it cannot be read in a pc without reformatting it first. I would lose all of my music video and pictures if I did that. I do not understand the others that say their cards can be read on a computer unless they did not format the card for their phone to use as memory. 

Regardless, this card has been working in my phone for the past 3 months, then just stopped working last weekend. The phone still recognizes the card is there as it see's the extra memory space, but it cannot read the card or anything on it.  This is preventing me from taking app updates, any new video or pictures or listening to the 10Gb of music I have saved to the card.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We want to make sure that your concern is properly looked into, sdrolz. Concerning your SD Card, is it able to be utilized in another device? Have you tested another SD Card to rule out the possibility of your SD Card becoming faulty?

HarleyE_VZW Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the Correct Answer button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
ROSMEH35

I have the same/similar problem with my Moto Z. All my photos are getting stored to internal memory and I can't move them to the SD card. I can see the SD card and the items that are on it already, but cannot seem to move my images to the card. If I select the images and select "Move", it doesn't show the SD card to move to. If I go directly to the SD drive (from Storage), select Move Media, it acts like it's moving the pictures (shows a progress bar and a message to not remove the SD card) but nothing is actually moved.

I had used the SD card in this phone before and also on a previous Samsung phone. I think it was working fine on this phone before. I also see no way to set the SD card as the default storage destination in the camera app (I think I had set it before, or maybe it was only on the Samsung) but I seem to have photos on there that were taken with this phone.

0 Likes