Moto Z Force with Android 7.1.1 battery life
DROIDDON
Enthusiast - Level 2

About a week ago software version NCLS26.118-23-13-6-5 was loaded to my Moto Z Force.   Ever since the battery life has been horrendous.   I can barely get 6 hours of life when I previously could get a full day oof usage.   This accelerated battery discharge occurs even if when all applications have been closed.   For example, the battery life went from 17% to 8% in 15 minutes today - with no applications running.    Can I backout this software update?

Labels (1)
Re: Moto Z Force with Android 7.1.1 battery life
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Having a drastic battery change can be a hassle for anyone. I would feel the same way if my phone were not working as it should after the update. With regard to the device let's review a couple of steps to see if we can get it to operate properly.l To clarify do you have the latest updates for your applications? Are you connected to WiFi or any bluetooth devices with your phone? 

JasperM_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Software updates are meant to make the phone work better not worse Droiddon. I know how important it is to have a long battery life, and we will get this resolved. There is no way to back out any software updates. 

Currently, how often do you use your device?

Heavy User

• Frequent use of streaming services (i.e. Pandora, YouTube, Play Music, etc.)
  • Frequent use of applications (i.e. Games, Facebook, Instagram, Maps, etc.)
  • Frequent web browsing, texting, email, or phone calls.
  • Frequent use of Bluetooth, GPS, or Wi-Fi.

Moderate User

• Occasional, light, or no use of streaming services (i.e. Pandora, YouTube, Play Music, etc.)
  • Occasional or light use of applications (i.e. Games, Facebook, Instagram, Maps, etc.)
  • Occasional or light browsing, texting, email, or phone calls.
  • Occasional or light use of Bluetooth, GPS, or Wi-Fi.

Light User

• Very light, or no use of streaming services (i.e. Pandora, YouTube, Play Music, etc.)
  • Very light to no use of applications (i.e. Games, Facebook, Instagram, Maps, etc.)
  • Very light to no browsing, texting, email, or phone calls.
  • Very light to no use of Bluetooth, GPS, or Wi-Fi.

Have you updated an app or installed a new one since the update? Has there been any physical or moisture damage? 

AmberF_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
DROIDDON
Enthusiast - Level 2

I consider myself a moderate user and will explain below.   Regardless, nothing has changed about my usage pattern since the latest software update when the battery life dropped dramatically.   For background, here's how I would describe my usage:

• Little to no use of streaming services (i.e. Pandora, YouTube, Play Music, etc.)
  • Occasional use of Games and Maps (I understand Maps can draw down battery life more quickly but that hasn't been in use during this time period)
  • Frequent web browsing, texting, email (but no material change in usage over past month)
  • Occasional use of Bluetooth, GPS (but no material change in usage over past month)
  • Almost always connected to Wi-Fi (but no material change in usage over past month).

With regards to application updates - the answer is undoubtedly.   Application updates come in daily (or at least every few days) and they automatically update.   Again, no change in that behavior or pattern overlapping the time period where battery life has dropped.

0 Likes
DROIDDON
Enthusiast - Level 2

Today's experience.   My phone was unplugged from the charger at 645am.   At 1145am it's down to 14% remaining battery (remember I used to get at least 1 day out of a single charge before the last Verizon software update).    Here's the battery usage analysis from 1145am.

No system or display settings have been changed by me since the software update

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you so much for those details, DROIDDON. I completely understand how concerning it can be when your device's battery is behaving like it used to after a software update. I will make sure that we are on the right path to getting this resolved. This software update is actually from the manufacturer being Motorola and the software developer being Google. Is there any kind of damage to your device at all? You can click on the link below to view the steps on how to run a My Verizon Health Check on your device. This will help us with diagnosing the root cause of this issue. Let me know what results that come up. 

http://spr.ly/6581Dk6gR

BrettA_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
DROIDDON
Enthusiast - Level 2

No damage to the phone.  Results of health check posted below.

As a side note, a friend has the same phone and is experiencing the same accelerated battery drain since the software update.   Just FYI

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

DROIDDON,

I appreciate all of your efforts & the helpful screenshots. Let's keep moving here. Our goal is to make sure your phone stays charged as it should. Please view this link: https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-205173/ to view the battery status. Are all of your apps updated in the Play Store?

AliciaS_VZW

0 Likes
DROIDDON
Enthusiast - Level 2

With regards to App updates - see my April 2nd reply - all Apps auto update so I'm getting updates every day or 2 (at the most).   I can confirm all Apps are updated.

Is this more of a Motorola topic?   Should I contact them directly?   I'm at the point I feel like I need to escalate or get a different phone - this lack of battery life isn't workable for me.    Should I visit a Verizon store?   Can I send the device somewhere to be checked?   

I know there are at least 2 of us with this same device on the Verizon network that are having this exact same issue.   2 occurances (out of a population of 2) tells me, it's highly likely, others are probably having this issue as well.   Is Verizon aware of this on a larger scale?   Does Motorola acknowledge there's battery life performance issues following the last SW update?

I appreciate the efforts to diagnose the problem but answering another round of questions every 2 days doesn't seem to be getting us to a solution.    Help.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

The feedback we’ve received after the Moto Z Force update last month does not show any known issues with the update causing the battery trouble you and your friend have experienced. This being said, the problem is still present on your equipment, and we’re not giving up.

We must perform a Factory Data Reset of the Moto Z Force. I don’t take this lightly. I know how long it takes to restore everything. Here are the steps to reset:
https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-205215/
Before going forward on this though, be sure everything is backed up. How do you currently back up your device?

We are just one component of the Verizon Wireless support team, and if preferred we can continue here.

DavidH_VZW

0 Likes