Moto Z2 Force - NFL app & Projector
PalabraJot

So, a few months ago when I was looking to buy a new phone, the local Verizon store folks talked me into the Moto Z2 Force, along with it's promotion at the time for the free projector - which they had on display at the store playing the NFL app.  Since we're cable-cutters at home and don't get channels like ESPN for example, this was the #1 selling point for me to go with this flagship phone as opposed to a more inexpensive phone...being able to project every NFL game without cable/satellite at home was going to be awesome!

However...something changed and now the NFL app won't let you use the projector anymore.  It's been like this for the past few weeks...and yes, granted this season is about to be over - but what about the future?

I feel like I've been sold out.  If it wasn't for this feature for which I locked into a contract for a ~$800 phone, I'd have been perfectly happy with some $100 phone on a pre-paid plan.

I really just kind of want my money back at this point.  I've seen threads around the internet for a number of apps that don't let you use the projector, and especially without the NFL app, I see no reason to be paying through the nose for this thing.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Moto Z2 Force - NFL app & Projector
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

This has generally been always the case. The NFL app doesn't allow streaming to another device. The projector was probably a loophole that has since been closed.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
PalabraJot

Well then what possible use is the projector if it can't be used with any apps?

Regardless, Verizon was using the NFL app explicitly as a demonstration and selling point in their own Verizon-owned stores (not 3rd party stores).  So "closing a loophole" doesn't really cut it - it's a bait & switch.  I bought a phone and a service explicitly because it provided the NFL app and the ability to project it as demonstrated and assured by Verizon staff.  Now it's gone.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

The app itself is still owned by NFL.  They dictate the terms, and the way the projector works is by invoking the HDMI standard through the pins.  NFL does not allow MHL or any content through HDMI for a long time now.  You'd have to convince NFL to change that stance.

PalabraJot

No, I don't have to convince the NFL of anything.  I need to point out that Verizon uses deceptive sales tactics and advertising for things they don't have the ability to follow through on.

If Verizon couldn't be assured that the NFL app would always work via the projector, they shouldn't have ever been showing it and using it as a sales pitch in their stores.  At no point did anyone say, or post a sign saying that "BTW, this might stop working at any moment."

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Here's the problem...

Everyone can't know everything about every product.  The projector works for Netflix, but doesn't work for Hulu.  Unless a person owns the product and actively use every streaming service they are not going to know.  Not surprisingly there is not a whole lot of information as not a lot of people have bought the Z Force line.

Also Verizon can't know exactly what NFL mobile will do.  They don't know if Netflix will change their mind on streaming through MHL or HDMI.  At no point they have a crystal ball that will tell every rep or the company what any other company they have no control over will do.  That seems like unrealistic expectations.

PalabraJot

Say you buy a hybrid car.  After some period of time, it stops running on the battery and instead only works with the gas engine.  Is it OK with you that the dealer says something like "Well, something about the battery system wasn't under our control, and now it doesn't work.  You'll just have to run on gas from now on."  Or were you thinking that being able to run on battery was kind of a key reason why you bought the car...and now that the battery function doesn't work, you feel cheated - even though you can continue to use the car?

If the usefulness of the projector was subject to the caprice of content providers, Verizon would have always known that - and shouldn't have been using the demonstration of such functionality as a key selling point in their stores.  Because just as you wouldn't buy a hybrid car with a disclaimer that said "BTW, the whole battery thing might stop working at some point," I also wouldn't have bought this phone if I was told "BTW, app owners may decide at any time that they don't want to work with the projector, so that feature may stop working at some point."

You're trying to absolve Verizon of any responsibility for having actively advertised, promoted, and used as a sales tool the feature of using the projector with the NFL app (or any other app, really).  They don't get that absolution.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

PalabraJot wrote:

Say you buy a hybrid car. After some period of time, it stops running on the battery and instead only works with the gas engine. Is it OK with you that the dealer says something like "Well, something about the battery system wasn't under our control, and now it doesn't work. You'll just have to run on gas from now on." Or were you thinking that being able to run on battery was kind of a key reason why you bought the car...and now that the battery function doesn't work, you feel cheated - even though you can continue to use the car?

If the usefulness of the projector was subject to the caprice of content providers, Verizon would have always known that - and shouldn't have been using the demonstration of such functionality as a key selling point in their stores. Because just as you wouldn't buy a hybrid car with a disclaimer that said "BTW, the whole battery thing might stop working at some point," I also wouldn't have bought this phone if I was told "BTW, app owners may decide at any time that they don't want to work with the projector, so that feature may stop working at some point."

You're trying to absolve Verizon of any responsibility for having actively advertised, promoted, and used as a sales tool the feature of using the projector with the NFL app (or any other app, really). They don't get that absolution.

That would be up to the company that MADE the car, not the company that SOLD you the car.  Like I said Verizon didn't make the app and the services NFL makes.  You could sue the dealership, but you can ask an AG about this and they'd tell you to go after the maker and not the dealership because they have no control of what the auto maker does and doesn't do.  So then the AG is also trying to absolve Verizon of responsibility as well? So explain how the dealership is going to know everything the maker is going to do? 

0 Likes
PalabraJot

You're not making a valid point - if you want to swap out "dealer" for "manufacturer" go right ahead.  The issue is that at no time was I dealing with a non-Verizon agency.  So there's no middleman here to blame.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Good luck with that. A court of law would agree with me. Verizon has no control what a company does with their products.

With that in mind if you went to the NFL page and looked for ways to troubleshoot their product you may have found a potential fix to your problem, but it's easier to blame the carrier right?

Screencasting – NFL Digital Care