Moto Z2 Play- screen goes black during call, will not come on until call ends
bogler
Enthusiast - Level 1

Moto Z2 Play- screen goes black during call, will not come on until call ends. I can not hang up, use keypad, or even turn phone off. If i call someone and they do not answer, it leaves a 5 minute message on their phone, then stays on when it asks me if i want to send the VM or redo it.

I can flip the phone, take it away from my ear, etc etc, screens still black. Please help. This piece of junk phones about to get sent back. Thankfully I won't have to pay the $35 restocking fee.

Labels (1)
Re: Moto Z2 Play- screen goes black during call, will not come on until call ends
bogler
Enthusiast - Level 1

More specifically, Ever since I bought the Moto Z2 Play last week,  my phone screen won't light up during a call. The screen goes black and unresponsive even when I move the smartphone away from my ear. The only way to get the screen back is if the phone call is terminated by the other caller. There's no way to dial into an automated system cause I can't see the keypad and I always end up leaving a message in everyones voice mail cause I can't hang up the phone call.

Re: Moto Z2 Play- screen goes black during call, will not come on until call ends
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I apologize for the issue you're having with your device going blank during a call, Bogler. Let me see what's going on and get your screen to stay on. Do you have a case on your phone that covers the proximity sensor? When you hold your phone to your ear, the touchscreen goes dark to avoid accidental touches. When you move the phone away from your ear, the screen lights up again. Don’t use covers or screen protectors (even clear ones) that cover the proximity sensor above the touchscreen.

Thank You,

EdwinW_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
SimplyFy

Edwin, I have the same issue with my LG V10 phone and this only started after the recent software update.  It was NOT occurring before that update and I've had a case and no screen protector for all the years I've owned my LG phone.  The screen should stay active when receiving a call and it immediately goes black.

0 Likes
TREV1534

I had someone with this issue the today, we fixed it by going into settings then going into notifications. Looking through the list we went into the phone app. There there was a few settings with on/off sliders. The app had the silence or do not disturb slider on. We turned those off and it worked fine. It was as if the phone call was a notification and would allow the screen to turn on. Don't know if this will help but might be worth a shot.

0 Likes
Binarytornado
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have the exact same issue on my wife's phone which is also a Motoz 2 Play. This just started happening recently. The phone will go black after making a call and once the call dials the number it will go immediately black and all buttons will stop working. This is NOT present intermittently as it happens every single time. I have over 20 years of experience working with computer systems and software and In my professional opinion I have concluded that this has been caused by a software update to the phone of some type. Please fix this Verizon! What happened to Quality Control on the software department? We the consumers are NOT your test subjects to be used for "scream tests" such as this one! In the Army we used to say, If it ain't broke, don't fix it. well, that holds true today as well! The phone was not broken before the change to the software, so where is my rollback function to fix your screw-up? Where can I go to remove your software update that turned my wife's phone into an expensive brick?

NOT, NOT, NOT cool Verizon!!!

Ryan

DESHEB22

This just happened to my iPhone 8! I updated and now my phone is a brick. Took it in to see if they can fix it and since I replaced the screen at a non apple place the update made my phone unusable. I am so done with Apple!!!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

DESHEB22,

Having a working phone is a must in our book. Help is here. Do you have a working phone? What options were provided?

KatiM_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I realize how upsetting it is to have a phone become unusable and appreciate all your efforts, DESHEB22. I don't want to see you give up on Apple products though. While replacing your screen at a third-party vendor will create a bit of a speed bump in the replacement options, I want to make sure we've tried everything possible to restore your phone's functionality. Can you tell me a little more about exactly what's happening with your iPhone 8? Did you take it in to Apple directly or a Verizon location?

JenniferH_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
luvs2su
Enthusiast - Level 1

Apparently VERIZON has no fix for this issue, making these phone useless for making/receiving phone calls?

Spent an hour with 'tech support' without any resolution.