Moto Z4 black screen on phone--can't call or receive calls
RockyKeel
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am unable to make calls or answer calls on my Moto Z4. As soon as the phone connects to ringing, the screen goes black and unresponsive.  Once the call hangs up, I can get the screen back.  Email and other apps work just fine, it's just when using the phone. Have been on hold FOREVER with Verizon, even after I had them schedule the call back--no live person yet.

Labels (1)
Re: Moto Z4 black screen on phone--can't call or receive calls
Scott5337
Contributor - Level 3

Sorry to hear that. Unfortunately this seems to be a pretty common issue with ALL Moto Z phones, going back to the Original Moto Z. If you search the Moto support forum you will probably find many of posts about this, and no real solution. I know that doesn't help much now, but don't waste your time on hold with Verizon tech support, they wont know how to fix it either. About all you can try is: back up all personal data somewhere safe off the phone > factory reset > start over fresh & clean and hope the problem does not re-appear. The same issue happened to both of my kids with their original Moto Z Droid phones years ago. A factory reset helped for a while and the issue eventually returned.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

RockyKeel-

Making sure that your phone works without any hiccups is very important. When did this issue begin? Has the phone been dropped or does it have any liquid or physical damage?

-CarmenT_VZW

0 Likes
RockyKeel
Enthusiast - Level 1

The phone has been in a good case, and has not been dropped.  It turned out to be the proximity detection that wasn't working.  Verizon shipped me a replacement phone.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

RockyKeel, that is great to hear that you were able to get a replacement sent to you.  I personally rely on my phone for everything in my life and I need to make sure I can use the other functions of my phone when I am on a call.  If this issue would happen to me I can honestly say my life would be in chaos.  Keep a close eye on the replacement and make sure you do not have the issue happen again.  An issue like this should not happen to multiple phones.  If it does we will have to do more troubleshooting and it would be more focused on what is on the phone that would cause an issue like this.  In my experience issues like this with the proximity sensor are normally caused by cases or screen protectors.  If the issue does happen again on your replacement attempt to use the phone with your case off to see if it persists.  If that is the case it will be something with your phone and your case.  Thanks for being a part of the Verizon family and have a great rest of your week.

SantoC_VZW

0 Likes