Moto z3 - no sound when connected to car via bluetooth
bobmeister9

When my z3 is connected to my car via bluetooth, I get no sound through the car speakers or the speaker on the phone.  Voice commands look like they are being recognized (hey google, how's the weather, hello moto, etc), but no sound at all.  Phone calls seem to be the only thing that do work.  Turn off the car, the bluetooth connection drops, and everything works through the built in speaker.

Moto z3, Android 8.1.0

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Moto z3 - no sound when connected to car via bluetooth
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Good morning, bobmeister9, and thank you for taking the time to reach out to us. Though we never want to hear that it's for this reason, we'd be more than happy to take a look into the performance of your service as well as your device. To start, let's get more details pertaining to your current situation. How long has this been happening for? Also, has there been any recent construction or severe storming in your area that may have caused an effect on the service? Last, don't feel as if you've made any negative impact if you haven't, but to ensure we save you from having to repeat yourself, can we have you confirm any troubleshooting steps you may have taken to try to fix this on your end? 

0 Likes
bobmeister9

It's hard to say if the problem was caused by a recent update because I have not been using this feature until recently.  I live in Atlanta, so there's always contruction and we've had tons of rain, but it's hard to see how that could be related to the problem I've described.  

As far as troubleshooting, I tested the feature in my house (no bluetooth connection) by saying "OK google, how's the weather."  Google replies with the weather, both text and sound.

I do the same test, sitting in my car, with bluetooth connected for phone calls, and I get the text reply, but no sound.  I turn the car off, ending the bluetooth connection, and sound works again.  BTW, phone calls work just fine.

I have also run this test in safe mode, but same results.  

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for filling me in on those additional details, bobmeister9. I rely on all those great hands-free options Google offers, especially when I'm in my car. I'm confident we'll find out what's causing you not to be able to hear the sound through Bluetooth after you say commands. Something similar happened to me, so I'd like to have you check the one thing that helped resolve my audio trouble in my car. While you're connected to the Bluetooth in your car, use the steps in the "Adjust usage settings for paired device" section at https://support.motorola.com/us/en/products/cell-phones/moto-z-family/moto-z3/documents/MS130106 to make sure Media audio is selected. Also while still connected, use the steps at https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-219642/ to ensure your Media volume is turned up. This setting will generally change when you're connected to Bluetooth versus when you're just using the handset. If those are all turned on and up, please test out the voice commands with a different Bluetooth headset or device connected to your phone if possible. Just let me know the outcome of all those steps so we can make the best next step together.

Thank you

JenniferH_VZW

Please follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes