New to Verizon but being charged an upgrade fee?
JJett74
Enthusiast - Level 2

My issue is that I'm being charged this fee when I'm a new customer. I have never had a phone with Verizon, but I'm being charged to upgrade? That doesn't make any sense.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: New to Verizon but being charged an upgrade fee? DEV PYMT UPGRADE FEE
JJett74
Enthusiast - Level 2

Issue resolved by Verizon Customer Service (contacted through this community social media). The issue was caused by a clerical error made by the indirect retail sales associate (I suspect a lack of training). If you have a similar item on your bill and you're a new customer, it will look like this on your bill: 

dev pymnt upgrade fee.png

Or like this: 

dev pymnt upgrade fee3.png

The folks here can take care of it, but you have to be persistent and make sure they understand that this is not an activation fee. 

Showing images like these to them was all it took to get this fee removed (that is, a credit was applied to my account).

Good luck fellow Verizon users.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: New to Verizon but being charged an upgrade fee?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

@JJett74 wrote:

My issue is that I'm being charged this fee when I'm a new customer. I have never had a phone with Verizon, but I'm being charged to upgrade? That doesn't make any sense.

All new lines are charged a one-time activation fee. This has been standard practice for over ten years now. It is clearly stated on the website and promotion materials in the store. The other carriers also charge an activation fee for new lines. 

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

Re: Fee
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We can certainly try to assist, and look into what is going on. When you activate new services with us you will receive an Activation Fee, if you Upgrade a phone through us, you will receive an Upgrade Fee. If neither of these occurred you should not receive the fee. We can certainly look into it with you. Please send us a Private Note, so we may be able to assist.

*Gert

0 Likes
Re: Fee
JJett74
Enthusiast - Level 2

I activated a new line (new customer). I didn't upgrade. I bought a new phone with you; I've never had a phone previously.

0 Likes
Re: New to Verizon but being charged an upgrade fee? DEV PYMT UPGRADE FEE
JJett74
Enthusiast - Level 2

Issue resolved by Verizon Customer Service (contacted through this community social media). The issue was caused by a clerical error made by the indirect retail sales associate (I suspect a lack of training). If you have a similar item on your bill and you're a new customer, it will look like this on your bill: 

dev pymnt upgrade fee.png

Or like this: 

dev pymnt upgrade fee3.png

The folks here can take care of it, but you have to be persistent and make sure they understand that this is not an activation fee. 

Showing images like these to them was all it took to get this fee removed (that is, a credit was applied to my account).

Good luck fellow Verizon users.

0 Likes