Oreo for Moto Z Force
mcjunkin

When will Verizon release Oreo for the Moto Z Force? It's been out forever. The only response I've seen from Verizon points to the updates page, but this doesn't really answer the question of 'when' or even 'if' it will be released for this model. The Z2 already has it..

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Oreo for Moto Z Force
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Motorola is the one who writes the update. They have different schedules for different device models.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

@Mcjunkin We know how important it is to have the latest and greatest software update available. At this time we don't have a specific date of when this will be available so the best option would be to view our updates page periodically as you mentioned https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/software-updates/ or you can register to stay in the loop https://forms.verizonwireless.com/dgf/optin/2012/08282012_general_optin/

JoelD_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
JGwiz
Contributor - Level 1

When you go to Motorola's page they say...

"moto z force droid

This device will be upgraded to the Android 8 (Oreo) release of Android, pending partner support."

Clearly, it is Verizon that is holding up this update.  Motorola has Oreo ready.  Verizon is slow to roll because of the bloatware they want to bake in to the OS before releasing it.

It is not factual to say that we are waiting for Motorola to release this.

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon Wireless isn't the only "partner" that Motorola has to coordinate with.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

Tidbits
Legend

JGwiz wrote:

When you go to Motorola's page they say...

"moto z force droid

This device will be upgraded to the Android 8 (Oreo) release of Android, pending partner support."

Clearly, it is Verizon that is holding up this update. Motorola has Oreo ready. Verizon is slow to roll because of the bloatware they want to bake in to the OS before releasing it.

It is not factual to say that we are waiting for Motorola to release this.

For reference PARTNER SUPPORT means parts manufacturers, and carriers have less to do with updates like people make them out to be.

For reference for the unlocked z2Force for example it says the same thing.  Bloatware the reason why it takes so long is the greatest fib ever told.  Sony and Google did this AOSP project long ago and the longest any carrier had been involved with is 1 month, and the average was a 2 weeks.  Delays are not from carriers, but more government regulatory things as well as manufacturers licensing agreements, and testing which during that test took 8 months on average.  Google made the PDK to shorten the time of this.  They even further shorten the time with Oreo.  However older devices more than likely won't support Treble but newer devices that come with Oreo out of the box must support Treble.

z2.PNG

joey2007ua64
Contributor - Level 3

JGwiz wrote:

Motorola has Oreo ready.

Yes, for exactly one device.  The Verizon variant of the Z2 Force.  They don't make one generic version that magically functions on all devices.

oreoz2.png

While the unlocked retail variant(sold directly by Motorola) says this.

oreo.png

So which carrier do you think is holding up the release on the carrier independent model?

Device manufacturers always prioritize updates for their current flagship devices(e.g. Z2 series).  The previous generation(e.g. Z series) will get it weeks or months later.  Motorola is still better than Samsplode and LG about updates. 

If immediate updates are important to you, buy Apple and Google devices.  My next device will be a Pixel, but I'm waiting for one that supports T-Mobile's new spectrum.

Lijave

I guess it is my last Motorola phone ever...they are always so late with upgrade that upgrade has no sense at all...last time they upgraded software lake two years after... regardless  is it Motorola or Verizon it is obviously not eorwork

0 Likes
coastiedan81

I went from the Nexus 6 to the Moto Z Force a bit over a year ago. When I heard that it was going to get Oreo i was stoked. It's now been since September (now it's February) and still no Android 8..

What gives Verizon? If it's released by Motorola/Lenovo, then it's ready for release by Verizon...

This was not the case with my Nexus device. I got the Nougat update the day after release by Google. I may have to go pixel to stay current... Or was that what they (Verizon) wanted all along?

Can we get a real answer about Oreo, please?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We understand how eager you are for the latest Android release, coastiedan81. I too am excited for its release as well. Regrettably, we don’t have any access to when new updates will become available. As JoelD mentioned previously, the best way to be the first to know about when an update will become available is to visit this link periodically: http://vz.to/1RHc98R and check the date for the latest update.

Are you currently experiencing any issues with your device?

JosephE_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes