Save/transfer notification sound from old Moto Z Play to my current Moto z4, how?
MLueck
Enthusiast - Level 3

I really liked the notification sound on my old Moto Z Play called "Moto Z Droid".

How may I obtain the sound file of that so I may use that on my current Moto z4?

I am thankful,

Michael

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Save/transfer notification sound from old Moto Z Play to my current Moto z4, how?
MLueck
Enthusiast - Level 3

I added yet another file manager app, and was able to obtain access to my old Moto Z Play's internal storage, finally! I tried a couple, duds... finally "File Explorer: Show Hidden File" at least allowed me to access the phone's storage itself... I navigated to the folder which had the audio clips in it... could not straight copy from there... so ended up emailing it as an attachment to myself. Using my new phone I was able to receive the GMail message, detach, then use my "yellow/white" File Browser to move it from the place GMail detached it to, over to the folder Message+ looks for custom audio's in.... aaaahhh, finally a pleasant new message arrival tone! Thank you!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Save/transfer notification sound from old Moto Z Play to my current Moto z4, how?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

MLueck, I truly understand how you feel and I know how important that feature is to you. However, the notification sounds are a part of the software. If that tone is not available on your current device we have no way to add it. I recommend making sure your device is up to date with the current software version. I have included a link below containing information on the latest update for your device. Does this help? 

http://spr.ly/66061QY4n

DiaS_VZW

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

@MLueck wrote:

I really liked the notification sound on my old Moto Z Play called "Moto Z Droid".

How may I obtain the sound file of that so I may use that on my current Moto z4?

I am thankful,

Michael

You need to download a file explorer from the Play Store if you don't already have one installed. With the file explorer, navigate to the phone's internal memory space. You will be looking for the notifications folder where you should find mp3 or oog  audio files. Using the file explorer, you can share the files to your email address to send them to the new device. The alternative is to copy those files to your computer when you have connected the phone  to the computer using the USB cable that came with the phone.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

@vzw_customer_support wrote:

MLueck, I truly understand how you feel and I know how important that feature is to you. However, the notification sounds are a part of the software. If that tone is not available on your current device we have no way to add it. I recommend making sure your device is up to date with the current software version. I have included a link below containing information on the latest update for your device. Does this help? 

http://spr.ly/66061QY4n

DiaS_VZW

That is completely false information. I have copied over my notification tones from all the smartphones I have had since 2010 all without modifying the software. It is basically a matter of accessing the correct folders in the phone's memory.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
MLueck
Enthusiast - Level 3

Good morning Ann154,

My Moto z4 phone has both File Manager (yellow background icon with a white file folder) and Files (I believe a Google official app).

I have navigated all through the Local \ Internal Storage folders... cannot find the built-in media that came on the phone. I only see the couple of media files I have added to my phones.

I suspect I need to be browsing the firmware side of the phone's storage, not the Internal Storage side which I would presume to be the memory chip that came plugged into the phone from the factory, no?

I am thankful,

Michael

0 Likes
MLueck
Enthusiast - Level 3

I added yet another file manager app, and was able to obtain access to my old Moto Z Play's internal storage, finally! I tried a couple, duds... finally "File Explorer: Show Hidden File" at least allowed me to access the phone's storage itself... I navigated to the folder which had the audio clips in it... could not straight copy from there... so ended up emailing it as an attachment to myself. Using my new phone I was able to receive the GMail message, detach, then use my "yellow/white" File Browser to move it from the place GMail detached it to, over to the folder Message+ looks for custom audio's in.... aaaahhh, finally a pleasant new message arrival tone! Thank you!

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I'm glad you were able to find the correct folder on your old phone. I was just about to fire up an old Moto X to see if the filing system was slightly different from my current phone. If it was, I would have written up additional directions.

Again, I happy to hear that you figured it out. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello, being on top of your notification sounds is vital, especially if you are looking to save them. 

Have you attempted to save the ringtone/notification sound to the Internal Storage/Ringtones section to later move it?

Follow these the steps on this link: https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-206524/. Let us know if afterwards you can find the ringtone/notification on your File Manager (Internal Storage/Ringtones section).

GilbertoL_VZW

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for keeping us posted. We are glad you were able to get access to your old Moto Z Play's internal storage and find the audio clips. It was a pleasure interacting with you. Remember, we are always here for you. Have a great day and stay safe.

GilbertoL_VZW

0 Likes