Slow hotspot on Moto Z Play
smith_madelyn

I recently got a Moto z play Droid with the unlimited data package with 4G LTE. I used the hotspot feature and connected my home computer and the download speeds were very slow (0.12 Mbps). Is this a normal download speed? I had read that 4G LTE should produce download speeds of 5-12 Mbps and that it could support downloading from Netflix on a computer. I tried general web surfing and a couple YouTube videos, but the speeds with the hotspot are too slow and kept buffering. Any way to speed it up?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Slow hotspot on Moto Z Play
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Have you used 10 GB of hotspot data already?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
smith_madelyn

No. I just got the phone last week and was trying it out for the first time. My phone shows 1.4 GB data used.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Is this a brand new line of service?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
smith_madelyn

Yes. I set it up last week.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

It is possible that your hotspot data allowance is restricted because of a short billing cycle before you start your first full billing cycle month. For example if you started your account on the 5th of May, it is likely your first full billing cycle will run from the May 11th to the 10th of June. That means from May 5th to May 11th, you have prorated billing cycle. The hotspot data is restricted to 10 GB of LTE high speed for the full billing cycle on the new Verizon Unlimited Plan. With prorating, that is approximately 1.67 GB (10 GB ÷ 30 days per billing cycle x 5 days on the partial cycle) of the LTE high speed hotspot data before you are slowed down to 3G speeds for the remainder of the billing cycle.

0 Likes
smith_madelyn

I don't think so, my phone shows I'm on 4G currently. I paid for a full month at sign up.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

@Ann154 thank you for those suggestions regarding what could be causing the slow speeds. We appreciate your help.

Smith.madelyn, we want you enjoying your speeds not concerned with it. When not using your hotspot and using your phone data only, how are your speeds? If you don't know, please click here to run a speed test: http://bit.ly/1KwazW2  and report the speeds back. Also, does the slow speeds happen indoor, outdoors, or both?

KatrinaN_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
smith_madelyn

On my phone, download speeds are 4.8 Mbps and 0.43 upload.  I haven't really had issues with my phone being slow. I've had issues using my phone as a hotspot for my home computer. I ran a speed test on my home computer and download speeds were 0.14 Mbps. I was inside at my house.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Paid for a full month at sign up? Is this a prepaid account?

0 Likes