Unlocked MotoZ2 play ..No Advanced Calling Menu or WiFi calling
EUGWAR78

Just wondering if there's anything planned for Verizon to address the software update needed for unlocked z2play too enable Wifi calling with Verizon? I bought 2 phones with the expectation that it worked for the unlocked version  from Motorola but found out my expectation was wrong..Guess you have to buy the overpriced Verizon version with the bloatware in order to have WiFi calling with Verizon.Works fine with T-Mobile...very disappointed because nothing's being done when both Verizon and Motorola know about the issue.I have contacted Verizon..advanced calling is activated...Its a software issue..There are other people on android sites that also have the same problem with the z2play.. Verizon tech 2 couldn't find solutions.. there's no Advanced calling menu in settings...tried the test screen..*#*#4636#*#*... turned on WiFi calling provisioned and soon as you leave the test screen it goes back off... same as video calling provisioned... I have 2 of these phones both same issue.. My iphone works fine .Software issue!!!!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Unlocked MotoZ2 play ..No Advanced Calling Menu or WiFi calling
deloused
Master - Level 3

Your phone would need the Verizon software version to be compatible with the Wifi calling protocols they use. As you mentioned though, the unlocked version doesn't have that.

You don't have to buy an 'overpriced version however, as at launch the Moto Z2 play unlocked version was $91 more than Verizon's-

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.androidcentral.com/you-can-now-order-unlocked-moto-z2-play%3Famp

And currently while Motorola sells the unlocked Version for $499, while the Verizon version is priced at $240 from the carrier, and at $72 at Best Buy

0 Likes
EUGWAR78

First off the Verizon version is only a 3gig 32ram memory...which is half full from the bloatware...The unlocked version from Motorola is a 4gig 64ram memory and they had it on sale for $349...They advertise its compatible with verizon which I guess you can say it is but neglect to tell you all features don't work with Verizon.. I'm going to T-Mobile which all features work so doesn't matter now..Been with Verizon many yrs but they have lost my business... Goodbye ...

0 Likes
EUGWAR78

Just to update...Switched to T-Mobile and WiFi calling works great!!! Verizon needs to quit worrying about pushing their own overpriced phones and start taking care of unlocked market.. Loosing customer's..I have 4 lines of unlimited service for $140 with free Netflix..They also have kickback which gives you $10 back for each line that uses under 2gig data each month..I only have one line that will go over 2gig so makes my bill $110 per month for 4 lines.. Verizon is loosing customer's..like me...LOL..

0 Likes
SMDELANEY

As EUGWAR78 noted the biggest advantage of the Unlocked XT1710-01 version of the Z2 Play is the additional RAM and storage that you can't get from Verizon on this flavor of the Z2. I could put up with the bloatware if I had the extra storage...at least it can be disabled. What I would like to know is if it is possible to load the software for the Verizon XT1710-02 variant on my Unlocked XT1710-01 and if so, how?  If it can be done what does that mean for future OTA updates?

I don't think Verizon is so much concerned about selling the phones as they are with pushing their software and related premium services. Why would they care who provided the phone if they can lock in the software and continue to push adoption of their pay-as-you go products? At least give us the OPTION of loading Verizon's software so we can take advantage of otherwise supported features like Wi-Fi Calling.

--Steve--

0 Likes