Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
iPhone 15 Plus. Newphoria. Get it on us with select Unlimited plans. New line req'd. No trade-in req'd. Online only. Ends 3.31. Buy  |  Details.
end of navigation menu
3.2M Members 5,575 Members online 268K Discussions 44K Solutions
Upgraded to Oreo (8.0). Now no available wifi.
KATKAT21
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have a Motorola Z Force Droid phone, and have updated to Android 8.0 (Oreo). The phone now has no wifi connection. I can turn on wifi, but it immediately resets to off. There are no Saved Networks listed, and there are no options to search and detect available networks to connect to. It's like the wifi capability has been wiped off the phone. Please help!

Labels (1)
Re: Upgraded to Oreo (8.0). Now no available wifi.
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

KATKAT21,

Oh no! Not to worry, let's take a look at what is going on. How many other devices are connected to the Wi-Fi network? Can you try restarting your wireless router by unplugging it from the power outlet for about 30 seconds and then plugging it back in. If you are using security, please make sure you password / passkey on both router and device are identical.

0 Likes
KATKAT21
Enthusiast - Level 2

Tried this recommendation - the problem is with the phone and not the wi-fi. Other devices are connected with no problems. The phone is not detecting any sort of wi-fi network at all. There is no menu option to add a network.

I contacted Verizon Customer Service, and was referred to a Motorola service agent. She recommended some troubleshooting methods (which I tried) and then recommended I perform a factory reset on the phone. I did this, and the problem is still there. Also, the bluetooth is not working, and a dialog box appears stating the bluetooth has stopped working (even though it is disabled) and the dialog box continues to reopen after I close it, rendering the phone unusable and I have to shut it off.

I'm not happy with this, as Android 8.0 Oreo has seriously messed up my previously working phone. The new OS was pushed by the Verizon network. I'm still making payments on a phone that doesn't work, and after years of being a Verizon customer, I'm ready to switch to a new carrier.

BKIMLIN
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm in the same boat exactly! Yesterday my phone was great today I wake up and it's crap!! Nothing works after this Verizon pushed upgrade! It has ruined my phone!

Everything has changed.. not happy! No one has answers, they just keep passing the buck! It's bull!

KATKAT21
Enthusiast - Level 2

I totally agree!! Verizon has passed the buck onto the phone manufacturer. Many other Motorola and other phone brand owners (Samsung, etc.) are also having similar problems (I checked the Lenovo, Motorola, CNET, and Samsung community forums and chat boards). Verizon and Google/Android need to man/woman up and own this situation and fix it. It's not Motorola's doing. It's like the upgrade was specifically geared for Google phones only, and other Android phone brands be damned.

I love my Moto Z phone and the Moto Mods, and the Motorola service agent actually tried to be helpful (unlike Verizon), but I'm ready to pack it in and take my business to Apple and Sprint.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello, KSTKST21.

We have left you a message in your private mailbox.

Tina_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

BKIMLIN, 

We want to make sure you have a working phone. We know how frustrating it can be to have trouble with your phone. Let's get some information. What is happening with your phone? Can you make or receive calls? Can you use data or WIFI? Please provide as much detail as possible.

Jenelle_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
RANDUN82

Moto Z Droid (2 years old)

Configuration version: F16.MOT.XT1650.0

It started with the 7.1.1 upgrade. the battery would drain severely and it

would freeze and constantly reboot over and over until I plugged it in to

the power source. and the Wi-Fi connection would fade in and out but would

connect. now since the 8.0 upgrade everything works except the Wi-Fi. it

will search for the network, see it, look like it will connect then it will

either say not in range or disabled, then start looking again (I have the

phone sitting beside the wireless so I am not out of range). all my other

wireless things see it and have connected. also if the battery is below 80%

and I am attempting to find the Wi-Fi, then it will freeze and reboot, over

and over again until I plug it in to the power source. If I keep the Wi-Fi

off then the phone doesn't reboot over and over again, and the battery does

not drain. I have done everything but a factory reset and from what I am

reading that is NOT the problem and doesn't work anyway. the phone will be

paid off in August and I am NOT happy with this situation. I do NOT want to

use all my data for my updates and such. this needs to be fixed, I don't

believe that it is my phone I feel it is connected to the last 2 updates.

I even update to a newer wireless and everything else is working just fine

I have echo dot, cameras and smart switches that need to be connected or

monitored and I cannot without Wi-Fi on my phone.

0 Likes
KATKAT21
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi BKIMLIN,

Have you gotten any resolution on the issues with Oreo? I have not heard back from Verizon Customer Service, and my phone has gotten worse with bluetooth issues. Apparently, even though the bluetooth is also inoperative along with the wifi, an alert box continuously pops up stating that the bluetooth has stopped working, and there is a close icon ("x") to close the app and the alert box. The alert makes it impossible to use the phone, or to go to any settings to see what app is running, and the battery gets very hot while the alert is appearing, which is all the time. The only recourse I have is to turn off the phone.

Factory resets, clearing the cache, Verizon health check, and the Verizon repair SUA tool have not worked. The phone is basically a glorified hockey puck! I'm done w Verizon.

0 Likes
BKIMLIN
Enthusiast - Level 1

I went into Verizon Sunday.. their reply, "sorry you can't undo an update and it appears there is no way to fix it". "But... We can upgrade your phone with a new three year contract for the low low price of $700 bucks for a new phone! Well take the payments out monthly with no interest!!"

I've lost all faith in Verizon and I guarantee I'll never allow updates on any phone I get!

[removed]

Content modified as required by Verizon Wireless Terms of Service