What Phone Has Reliable Wi-Fi Calling?
abbatemp

A lot of background with a question at the end:

Moto Z2 Force. Replaced the old S3 because I needed wifi calling when I began a contracting gig in a 60000 sq ft all metal facility (big faraday cage) that has no reception when you get more than a few feet from one of the 4 windows in the building.

It worked, but when in the office with windows the mobile reception was marginal at best, and handoff to wifi was terrible, calls would regularly drop. So, I forced airplane mode and enabled wifi and that worked very well for about 2 months.

About 3 weeks ago I realized after a few hours that people couldn't call me, and I couldn't call out because I was being told that I couldn't call while in airplane mode.

4 hours on the phone, trip to store for new sim, reset all network settings, re provisioning advanced calling etc etc etc. Ticket was created and I was escalated to tier 2. Time passes, I then spend 2 hours in a text message exchange retracing all the steps, after which it was escalated further. 2 days pass, I get a call from a network tech (not 100% sure about the tech levels). After a couple more hours the tech is scratching their head, says will talk to engineers and we schedule a call for a sunday morning.

That sunday morning, just for laughs, I put the phone in airplane mode and voila I can make and receive calls. I speak with the tech later that morning and he is still scratching his head because they've done nothing, nor do they understand why wifi calling in airplane mode had stopped.

Of course, a week or 2 later it fails again and no amount of fiddling, provisioning etc has brought it back.

So a couple of days ago a new ticket was opened and I got back on with a tech.

This time the party line was I must factory reset my phone. Doing that guarantees another wasted 3 hours of my life restoring everything, accounts, certs etc.

And, asking a customer to do that, without being able to explain exactly what the reset will fix and how it will address the problem is horrible engineering. If one of my engineers came to me and said there was a customer problem that they couldn't figure out and they wanted the customer to wipe the entire recorder without knowing what they were fixing I would throw them out of the office and tell them not to come back until they duplicated the problem in the lab.

As far as updates go, there have been 2, but after each update I immediately checked wifi calling while in airplane mode and it worked. While on with a tech we also did a system install (but not the full factory reset).

They seemed to suggest this was a moto / lenovo issue that was out of their control, so I requested a new equivalent phone from another manufacturer where wifi calling actually works reliably. I am now waiting to be contacted by someone with the authority to do the phone replacement.

After all that, my question is which verizon phone does have reliable wifi calling?

If none, what carrier should I be looking at as an alternative? I'm into this for literally 9 hours now, and at least 3 more when I have to deal with a new phone.

Appreciate the help, thanks for listening to the rant from a very unsatisfied verizon customer.

If any verizon reps participate here I can provide the ticket numbers.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: What Phone Has Reliable Wi-Fi Calling?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Abbatemp, we appreciate you taking the time to give us some background information on your situation. Let's dive in to see what's gong on. Wi-Fi Calling allows you to make and receive calls over a Wi-Fi network if cellular service isn't available. The benefits of Wi-Fi Calling include:

It's included at no additional charge with your existing voice plan and compatible device.
You can make and receive calls with Wi-Fi using your phone number.
Wi-Fi calls to US numbers are free, even while traveling internationally.
Video Calls no longer need an LTE connection to be initiated in Wi-Fi.

Here is a complete list of our phones which are eligible for Wi-Fi Calling: https://www.verizonwireless.com/smartphones/wificalling/ and your phone is listed on here. Also for more information on WiFi Calling: https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/wifi-calling-faqs/

TakendraW_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this.

0 Likes
abbatemp

As I said in the post, wifi calling is NOT working on my phone, and 9+ hours with verizon has NOT been able to resolve the problem, and others appear to have similar problems. Furthermore, on Sunday Nov 19th I was told I would get a call back from a Verizon rep that would be able to get me another phone. It is now 3 days later and I have not gotten a call back to deal with this.

Why have I not gotten a call back from Verizon to deal with this problem?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

abbatemp-

Your concerns are not taken for granted and I appreciate the details you've provided regarding your WIFI calling issue. I'm truly sorry to learn we have not followed through as promised. Please respond to my private message to further assist.

CarmenT_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this.

0 Likes
janhworth73

I am having the same issue with my Galaxy A23 UW.  My office is in a metal building. I can somewhat text and use the internet but my wifi calling does not work at all.  I have called tech support multiple times with no results and promises of a return call.  Verizon tech support is a joke.  Can someone please tell me what phone I need so my wifi calling will work?  I have to have a cell phone for work.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We understand the importance of being able to call. Please tell us, does this happen only while being connected to that Wi-Fi network? What happens when you connect to other Wi-Fi networks? ~Geo

0 Likes