Z2 Play - Oreo 8.0 Update - Boot Loop with Verizon Solved
DJMAudio
Enthusiast - Level 2

VERY IMPORTANT!

Confirmed on multiple phones......

The October 26th 2018 Oreo release to the Z2 Play CAN/WILL Cause a boot loop if you have a Verizon Phone and you update the Security and Privacy App.

IF.... you get stuck in a boot loop on your Z2 after updating to oreo or updating your Security and Privacy app you unfortunately have to factory reset your phone, then disable/force quit the security and privacy app that defaultly is installed on the Verizon phone. 

To factory reset:

- Press and hold the power and volume down button at the same time to enter the boot loader.

- Select Recovery Mode

- You'll then get the android symbol with "no command" on the screen.

- Hold down the power button and tap the volume up button to get to the android recovery screen.

- On that screen select "wipe data/factory reset".

- Be sure to select "userdata + personalized content" to start fresh.

- After the wipe, select "Reboot system now".

Now that you're starting fresh go through your normal Google Login to get to the main screen.

VERY IMPORTANT... On all Verizon phones the Security and Privacy app comes installed and turned on by default.  DO NOT UPDATE IT, or you'll run into the same boot loop issue after a restart/power cycle.

Be sure to disable/force quit the Security and Privacy app before updating anything, either OS or other applications.  With the Security and Privacy app disabled the phone is running as it should on Oreo and I can update all of the other apps.

COME ON VERIZON... STEP IT UP... 3 DAYS OF FIGURING OUT THE EXACT ISSUE... VERIZON SHIPPED ME A 2ND PHONE BECAUSE THEY THOUGHT IT WAS HARDWARE AND THE IDENTICAL ISSUE HAPPENED.  WHAT DID THEY DO NEXT?  VERIZON SENT ME A 3RD PHONE WHICH IS PRESENTLY ON IT'S WAY TO ME.

EITHER STOP THE OREO UPDATE ON THE Z2 OR FIX THE SECURITY AND PRIVACY APP (WHICH WHO EVEN USES ANYWAY?)

I HOPE THIS HELPS PEOPLE.  GOOD LUCK!!!

Labels (1)
Re: Z2 Play - Oreo 8.0 Update - Boot Loop with Verizon Solved
Cjlupo
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank you so much for posting this. I have a bricked Z2 and a replacement phone, at a cost of $13 for "insurance". I almost installed the update again.

I will try your process to revive my original phone.

Verizon tech support knows nothing about this at all. I have spent over 4 hours on the phone with them since Friday.

0 Likes
Cjlupo
Enthusiast - Level 1

Follow Up:

I followed your directions and I was able to get back into my original phone.  The only thing I would note is that while it did wipe all the user data, the Android 8.0 update was already applied when I started up the phone.  I immediately force stopped and disabled the Verizon Security and Privacy app.  I have reapplied nearly every app I was previously using, and so far all is well.

Once again, thank for posting clear directions.

0 Likes
DJMAudio
Enthusiast - Level 2

Glad to help.

Yes I noticed too that if Oreo successfully installed on your phone and you do a factory reset, Oreo does remain.  All signs point directly to the Security and Privacy app.

God Speed!

0 Likes