message app icon not showing # of new text messages
REGCEC61
Enthusiast - Level 3

I just updated my operating system this am (8/29/2017) on my moto droid z force. I use the verizon messaging app, and when i get new text messages, I receive a notification in the notification bar, but the actual app icon does not show any new messages.  I have multiple group messages on mute, so the only way to know if I have any new ones is to open the app now.  Used to show the count in the right lower corner of the shortcut app icon. I have already restarted my phone. The app does not require an update, and I cannot uninstall and reinstall either. 

Labels (1)
Re: message app icon not showing # of new text messages
posies
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have the same problem! Hopefully Verizon will fix this soon. I have a notification showing on my emails that has been stuck there since a previous update and now message+ won't show notifications at all. I hear the sound, pops up in the notification bar but shows nothing on the app icon. All of my setting are correct. It's getting so updates scare me!!

juand_vzw
Verizon Employee

I'm so sorry to hear this. I know it's important that you receive all of your notifications. I will be happy to help get this fixed. Have you tried to remove the application and re-install the app? Any other notifications not appearing on your phone?

REGCEC61
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hello. It is a verizon stock app, therefore it cannot be uninstalled then

reinstalled. However, I disabled then enabled it so it went back to a

previous version. When on previous version the notification count showed

on the icon that i had an unread messages, but as soon as the app was

updated to its current version, it no longer shows the notification. It is

definitely a verizon app issue. I have no new apps installed, nor do I

have any competing apps running.

On Wed, Aug 30, 2017 at 10:26 AM, juand_vzw <forums@verizonwireless.com>

0 Likes
TOMMCN79
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have the same problem as well......it seems like every time there's a software update, I end up having to relearn or debug this phone Smiley Sad

REGCEC61
Enthusiast - Level 3

Right. You'd think that these "updates" would be tested before rolled out

to the masses

On Wed, Aug 30, 2017 at 12:05 PM, TOMMCN79 <forums@verizonwireless.com>

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

REGCEC61, we want to get things back to the way that it use to be on your device. Do you hear a notification sound or get an alert when using the text messaging feature on your phone? Let's check your notification settings in Settings>Notifications>tap the Verizon Messages application. You will be provided with the option to customize your alert settings.

0 Likes
posies
Enthusiast - Level 3

Please reread the comments we have made. We have already said, yes we can hear the notification but it is not showing on icon as an unread message. Shows on the notification bar, not the app. Have been through all of the settings. Have no competing apps installed. Cannot uninstall, since it is preloaded and Verizon app. Have tried disabling and re-enabling. Have cleared the cache. Sorry I'm sounding irritated...it takes days to get a response and when we do, it's not informative, just more questions about things we have already answered. I would really appreciate any additional suggestions you have! Thanks!

REGCEC61
Enthusiast - Level 3

Settings are all correct. I hear an alert and see the top notification but

the icon does not tell me how many text messages I have. When conversations

are muted no alert will sound (which is as designed) but the icon is

supposed to show how many messages are available. It is because the update

did something to the app programming. Like I said earlier when I disabled

it and then re-enabled it , which put it back before the update , it worked

fine. As soon as the app updated it stopped snowing the number of unread

text messages

On Sep 1, 2017 11:49 AM, "vzw_customer_support" <forums@verizonwireless.com>

runningcoach
Enthusiast - Level 2

Same problem with messsges. Only change was software update 2 days ago. Verizon, please fix this problem  quickly. Also, speakerphone does not work properly; can only hear conversation  with phone to my ear. This has been on-going and Verizon has not fixed this at stores. It seems like they just want to make another sale and refer issues to tech support