Re: Advanced Calling on the Moto X 2014?
4ringsnbr
Enthusiast - Level 3

You (nor ANYONE at Verizon or Motorola) have failed to tell us WHEN our phones (Moto X 2nd edition XT1096) will no longer be crippled requiring us to hang up a call to receive an MMS message or use LTE data.  These phones were designed like the Droid Turbo to use VoLTE (Advanced Calling) to allow simultaneous data & voice use.  While the turbo was upgraded to allow this functionality in December 2014 (about a month after its launch), our phone which is almost identical to the turbo has not received this since its September 2014 launch.  No one at either company despite multiple contact attempts has even confirmed that we ever will get this feature for which our phones were designed.  They do NOT function properly on Verizon's network without this functionality since the MMS messages are carried via IMS (on the LTE network), and they cannot maintain an LTE connection while in phone service since they don't have a separate CDMA transmission circuit nor VoLTE functionality despite the hardware support.  Bottom line is that if you don't tell XT1096 owners when they can expect the software upgrade to enable this built-in function of the phone to work, we will all likely leave or at least change phones to something that isn't crippled.  9 months is way too long to wait for an essential feature!

BringTheRain403
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm with you.  I'm extremely frustrated with this.  When I bought the phone I was told it would be updated shortly to support simultaneous voice and data.  Honestly I could care less about the HD calling I just want to be able to use data while making a phone call.  This is not what I was told when I bought this phone.  There are cheaper less advance phones that have this basic functionality but we are stuck with top of the line phone that doesn't even allow us to perform simple tasks.  I want to know when this functionality will be available.  Will it be available with the upcoming 5.1 update?

Also, I hope the upcoming 5.1 update fixed the battery bug where it reads that there is still juice left in the batter but the phone shuts down as if the battery is dead.

webrobby1327
Enthusiast - Level 2

This article on DroidLife says that Verizon has finally released Moto X 5.1 software update today but stripped this of VoLTE/HD Calling that we have all been waiting for since the phone launched.

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/06/29/verizons-moto-x-2nd-gen-gets-approval-on-android-5-1-update-rea...

BringTheRain403
Enthusiast - Level 2

This might push me to get rid of this phone.  Seriously?!

Content removed as required by the

Message was edited by Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
4ringsnbr
Enthusiast - Level 3

I agree... If they continue to block VoLTE on this phone, I'm dumping it.

They had to remove or block it from the Android 5.1 native support.  There

is no excuse for this since both the nexus 6 and droid turbo have it with

the same radio configuration and the galaxy S5 and LG G3 have it with the

same processor. This is the newest phone on Verizon without the feature!

The problem is that all the other phones are even bigger! Maybe someone

with a 1st gen X will swap with me...

webrobby1327
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have installed the new update from Verizon for Moto X (2nd gen.) version 23.16.3 and I think Verizon is definately still blocking access to this "feature" of VoLTE.  I can't activate it on my verizon.com or on the phone after it rebooted into the new version.

WadeTheFade
Enthusiast - Level 1

Disappointing. Not only where we promised at sign up that they were just going to patch in the VoLTE capabilities, but now Verizon just dodges the question.

At least tell us that we were lied to. Its better then holding onto hope...

GT61
Enthusiast - Level 2

When is Verizon going to respond to this?  I have had this phone for almost a year and thought that today's update would finally bring advanced calling to the 2nd gen Moto X.  Will Verizon give me a free upgrade to a phone that actually works as advertised?

GT61
Enthusiast - Level 2

I emailed Motorola about the VoLTE availability and they said it's a Verizon issue, but at least they had the decency to respond.

webrobby1327
Enthusiast - Level 2

I talked to Verizon level two support this week. The engineer tried hard to see why it would not let him add HD Voice/VoLTE to my Moto X second gen line.  His notes said this feature launches spring 2015!!!? It's summer and not a peep from Verizon.  Shameful.  Update your Internal notes to show when you intend to give us a feature every other Moto phone has.