Re: After Android update I can no longer connect to PC with USB
etgidley

Thanks for the response.

I do not have a USB item in the notification area.

The latest update indicates my System Version to be –

24.81.5 quark_verizon.verizon.en.US

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Unplug the phone and plug it back in again; try a different USB port; try a different USB cable.  Once the phone and computer are connected, you should see a notification as shown in the link in the earlier post.

0 Likes
etgidley

Here’s what the guy at the Verizon store told me to do –

Go to Settings, “About Phone” -

Scroll down to “Build Number” and tap it 7 times – this puts the phone in Developer mode.

Now on the “Settings” menu there is a menu item {}Developer Options –

Tap that and scroll down to “Select USB Configuration, MTP (Media Transfer Protocol) –

On this screen you see the options for configuring USB. There are 6 Options. He had me select MTP, and it works.

However, even though the bullet next to MTP, I have to select this option every time I want to transfer files between Phone and PC.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

The VzW rep gave you an alternative approach that isn't really necessary if you pull down the notification shade once you connect the phone and computer.  As noted earlier, with the Marshmallow update, the default USB mode is charging only so yes, each time you connect the phone and computer with the USB cable, you'll need to change the USB mode from charging to file transfer.

0 Likes
etgidley

I was not seeing USB in the notification window. I have a gazillion items in there and apparently when you plug the phone in it becomes the second item on the bottom on my phone. Guess I wasn’t scrolling down far enough. Sure enough there it is.

Thanks, Ed

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Good to hear that you found it. 

0 Likes