After Update, Switch to ART.
Dorkmaster
Contributor - Level 2

After getting the most recent update, I tried switching to ART. I found alot of my games did not work and Apps actually seemed to start slower. Anybody else haivng problems with compatibility?

Re: After Update, Switch to ART.
Tidbits
Legend

ART is still in beta.  It's not ready yet.  What you are getting is normal as most apps are not optimized for it as ART runs a lot differently than Dalvik.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

HeySmiley Happy Tidbits what is ART not sure I've heard of it what is it, what does it consist of.. is it something part of the OS something like that..hmm guess I better G search it. see what it is..

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Still don't know what,  it is but in doing some searching I found this, Maybe it's what ya call raising the Bar in Kit Kat..

https://forums.motorola.com/posts/a02a69fa21

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Hey Doc. since you on here this Morning and you have a Moto X what do you think about this with ART or Dalvic I'm still puzzled at what it really is call me old fashion I guess..

0 Likes
billhong
Enthusiast - Level 3

I don't recall what Dalvik stands for, but ART is Android Run Time.  What it basically does is pre-compile all the programming for your apps and stores it so that when you call up the app, it doesn't have to compile the coding each time you start it.  When optimized, it usually means that your apps will start up faster and run more efficiently.   Theoretically it should help with things like battery drain/life.  The pre-compiling does mean that the storage used for each app is a little larger, but it shouldn't be a big problem unless your SD card is already maxed out and you have no more storage (another reason why I'm baffled that VZW makes it so difficult to get a Moto X in 32 GB flavor). 

But as Tidbits says, it's not fully optimized and not all apps have re-coded for it, so some won't run under ART until they do.  Until that happens, it's perfectly fine to keep running in Dalvik mode.  I've changed over to ART, but haven't seen any problems with the apps I run so far.   

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Yea it looks to be interesting, to me on the Stores having the 32's I think they should of had them available)  actually as very little storage as you seem to have with a 16GB unit Motorola would've made all of units 32's in favor of the 16 and in some ways since the 64GB card's are getting to be the norm that the 32's use be they would offered that size through if wanted to order it. It would really been neat that way and a great way to stretch the Storage of the X..

0 Likes
billhong
Enthusiast - Level 3

Here is a handy little device that I got for the times when I want to temporarily expand the space available on the phone:

http://www.meenova.com/

It is compatible with the Moto X.  I recycled an old microSD card from a blackberry to install into this reader.  It enables me for example to play music files stored on it if I don't want to download to the internal SD.  And it allows file swapping back and forth from the phone without hooking up to a pc. But since it uses the microSD port you can't charge the phone at the same time you have this reader plugged in. 

Added:  this is also a plug-and-play device on the MotoX with the latest kitkat update--no need to download a third party app to recognize the device. 

Message was edited by: billhong

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

That's a cool idea.  I use one of these:

SanDisk Ultra Dual USB Drive - Android Phone File Transfer to PC

0 Likes
B33
Legend

hmm pretty Cool, just wondering though if cloud storage or Google's storage could be used in the same manner what your thoughts on that but what you got there is pretty Cool b   I forgot to add were can you buy them at   are they available in stores Like BestBuy.. I want one 

0 Likes