Anyone having issues upgrading their Moto X to lollipop?
dgoff

The update is failing after the restart for me. Any solutions?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Anyone having issues upgrading their Moto X to lollipop?
BuckeyeChris
Enthusiast - Level 2

Unfortunately, clearing my cache did fully resolve the battery temperature and rapid drain issues.  Sunday morning, my phone was extremely warm from charging overnight.  Hoping to avoid a factory reset, I turned it off until it had cooled.  Then, I cleared the cache again, and connected my phone up the Software Repair Assistant (SRA).  Since running the SRA, my phone no longer overheats from charging, and the battery life is more normal.  To see how long the battery would last, I did not charge my phone last night.  When I awoke this morning, the battery level was a 52%.  A link to a PDF that explains how to download and use the SRA is as follows: 

http://www.verizonwireless.com/dam/support/pdf/system_update/BPOD-H9888-SRA-moto-V10.pdf

View solution in original post

0 Likes
BuckeyeChris
Enthusiast - Level 2

It depends on what you mean by issues.  I have noticed that the back of my Moto X (1st gen) heats up more while surfing the web or checking emails and that the battery life has been dramatically reduced.  Anyone else experiencing these phenomena?

0 Likes
dgoff

My phone won't even update. I thought it might be due to not having enough free storage space, so I cleaned out a bunch of stuff, but it still doesn't work.

0 Likes
BuckeyeChris
Enthusiast - Level 2

For me, it was a two-step process.  Total elapsed time for both parts was an hour.

0 Likes
MichiganMomx2

So mad at myself for starting this update.  I've spent roughly 4 hours dealing with problems with this since I started the procedure last night. 

This morning I thought the worst was over and then my text messaging stopped working.  Add another hour troubleshooting that.  GRRRR

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Most people back up and reset the device after a major update.

0 Likes
BuckeyeChris
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have not experience that problem.  However, my web research suggests that battery life problems are common following an upgrade to Lollipop.  As indicated by Snn5, the recommended solution to the problem on most of the forums (and Verizon's own tech support) seems to be a factory reset.  Because that's such a PITA, I did come across a post on Android Central yesterday that suggested to clear the partition cache on the phone as a possible solution.  Apparently, Android L needs to more room to get itself established.  Clearing the cache requires accessing the Motorola boot logger, and apparently instructions can be obtained directly from Motorola.  In the 12-hours since I wiped the cached, the battery doesn't appear to be draining as fast.  Of course, I need more time to test it.  A link to the post referenced above follows:http://forums.androidcentral.com/moto-x-2014/465537-i-can-t-get-my-moto-x-into-recovery-so-i-can-wip...  The procedure outlined in the post only works with phones running Lollipop.  Since I am not a technician, I cannot warrant that following those procedures won't damage your phone and your results may vary.  Nevertheless, should I experience battery life resembling that which I experience with Kit Kat, I will update my posts accordingly on this thread.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

It should also be noted that when coming from KitKat (any phone) to Lollipop that the runtime formats changed and thus, old apps without ART running Dalvik runtime will not run properly, causing crashes and drains.  The best solution in this case is a factory data reset WITHOUT auto restore of apps nor app data.  This way they can re-download fresh and compatible.

0 Likes
MichiganMomx2

Well I guess my good news is I haven't noticed any power issues related with the update.  I had backed up prior to starting this whole process so other than downloaded music factory reset won't be a hardship.  Still not able to send or receive texts.  Although when I power down and back up again some come through then.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Danell Duff,

I am truly sorry to hear that you have had such a hard time after updating your device. Updates should improve the function of your phone, not cause issues. I would like to provide a helping hand in getting your phone back in action. What text messaging application do you use on your device? Have you tried clearing out some text message in your inbox? Have you tried clearing the cache and data of your text messaging app? http://vz.to/1OnodLs

LindseyT_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes