Battery life is horrible after 9.18.94 update
WalterGR

After the required 9.18.94 update that was rolled out recently, the battery on my DROID RAZR MAXX HD has been draining twice as fast as before the update.

My phone was last charged 1.5 days ago.  Usually this would mean that I have about 50% battery life left.  Now, since this update, I have half of that.  I have not changed my usage of the phone in any way.

Mediaserver has used 6%

Android OS has used 5%

Android System has used 4%

Android Keyboard (AOSP) has used 2%

On what system ever has the keyboard used a full 2% of the battery?

3 questions:

• Is this a known issue?
  • When does Verizon plan to provide a fixed update?
  • Is this what happens when Verizon wants us to buy new phones?
Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: Battery life is horrible after 9.18.94 update
tacoman1287

I too am having the same issue, but with much more drastic effects.  I work in a building that might as well be a missile silo with the signal as bad as it is (which is saying something when talking about Verizon LTE).  That has never helped, but lately I have been having trouble making it through a business day without having to plug my phone in around halfway through my shift whereas before I could have, under dire circumstances, made it through the next day if I accidentally forgot to plug my phone in one night.  I think the problem is that the phone is staying "awake" in the sense that the processor is still operating at full clip and the data syncing is still actively happening as if I was on it, but with the screen off (see photo below, note awake vs. screen on discrepancy).  Also, I am currently testing a theory that seems like it might be at least partially true...my battery has been at 1% for at least an hour or two, and it still hasn't died.  I think that the phone needs to "relearn" its battery capacity.  I have done a cache wipe, as I usually do just after updates, but that hasn't seemed to help.  The next step for me is the dreaded factory reset, which will require a couple hours of prep beforehand since almost everything is in the internal memory.  I hope this helps, and I hope that the powers that be at Motorola and Verizon see this and do something about it.  I didn't buy a phone with industry leading battery life to have issues like this;  if I wanted a phone that died in four hours I would have bought an iPhone.

Screenshot_2013-11-17-00-19-55.png

0 Likes
Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

I don't know. I installed the update as well and my battery is just the same as it was prior to installing the Optional Update.  I put my phone to bed tonight with 93% battery life left. Have you tried a Cache Wipe (not an FDR)?

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Jake was this just released to the Razr Maxx not to Long ago I haven't seen anything on it till now..

0 Likes
Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

I just installed it on Monday. It was one of those (at least for me) that I had to look for it.  It did not pop up like it was ready but when I did the Software Update check it popped up. It was a very small update and consisted of a handful of fixes to other issues.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Well I kind of Overlooked something to in the Op's opening thread he mentioned it was the HD model and I don't have one of those, Jake.  it's sometime's can be a mess trying to keep up which units are which on here and missed on all accounts on this one. b

0 Likes
Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

I hear ya. I have the Maxx HD so it was just looking for it.

B33
Legend

Ha.!  I'v been looking at the phone you have and the Moto X.. It suppose to have a update out or one coming soon.. I'll send a DM on my more in depth thoughts soon.. On this update it may be a good idea to clear the system cache's or Reset the device if battery life is pretty bad..

0 Likes
Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

I would agree. I installed my update but did not do a cache wipe on my phone and it is working great. My sons I installed it on as well but did the cache wipe on it for other reasons, and his is still working great.  Way back after one of the Bionic updates I was getting terrible battery life and did the cache wipe and it cleared the issue right up.

If that does not work I would look at disabling some Bloatware to see if that helps at all.

WalterGR

I was given the option to either install the update or install the update in 12 hours.  I'm assuming that's a required update?

Screenshot_2013-11-12-17-02-14b.png

It was a very small update and consisted of a handful of fixes to other issues.

How were you able to check the size of the update?

Are all the changes listed here: http://support.verizonwireless.com/dam/support/pdf/system_update/droidrazrhd.pdf ?

Thanks,

Walter

0 Likes