Bluetooth disconnects randomly
RPfenning
Enthusiast - Level 1

We have two Motorola Droid RAZR MAXX (one is an HD).  We use our phones with Bluetooth ear pieces every night 2 - 2.5 hours each night.  Recently, past month or so, when using the our phones with Bluetooth devices, the Bluetooth will suddenly drop and the phone kicks over to Speaker (but when you look at the phone, the in-call display shows it is still using BT).  Most often, we can use the in-call display to switch from BT to Speaker and then back to BT.  However, this is not always successful - tonight for example, the BT was dropped and I can't get it to reconnect.  There has also been instances where the phone (Droid RAZR MAXX HD) has disconnected with Dodge U-Connect.

Phone ype connected to BT type

Droid RAZR MAXX - Plantronic Voyager

Droid RAZR MAXX HD - Plantronic Voyager Legend Pro

As a matter of troubleshooting:

1.  BT Cache has been cleared

2.  Phones have been Powered Off and back on (daily)

3.  BT are fully charged

4.  One BT is brand new (Plantronic Voyager Legend Pro)

5.  BT devices are current on Firmware

6.  It's clearly not the BT devices

7.  Both phones are current with software provided by Verizon:

Android 4.1.2

System version 9.18.94.XT926.Verizon.en.US

8.  Phones are well cared for, no damage and look new.  No drops, no abuse - just responsible users.

Yes I have looked at forums and other help pages. 

Labels (2)
0 Likes
54 Replies
Narkdrop

I have been having the same issues with my 3 different Droid Maxx.  This has all started after the last update.  I am unable to connect to either of our 2 vehicles.  My husband is able to connect to both vehicles not problem with his iphone.  I have tried to delete all bluetooth connections from the phones and the cars, tried to reconnect them & no success.  This is clearly a Verizon problem and not a phone/bluetooth/user issue.  Verizon please fix the update and push new (working) software out to all users.

0 Likes
floridafishing

I am having exact problem with Galaxy s3.  Just started last week.  I see this has been a problem for over a year!    Can anyone at Verizon resolve this problem? 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Let's look into this floridafishing, I know how important using bluetooth is with your phone these days. I understand you have a Galaxy S3, are you connecting a bluetooth headset with your phone? Are there any updates available for your phone? Are you getting an error message when you try to connec to bluetooth. Please kep me posted.

GersonG_VZW Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
nfc_south

I am not getting my hopes up but, after reading through post about third party apps and the one about uninstalling Google chrome updates I just listed what I thought were the last apps I downloaded in the past 6 months and focused more on the apps in the last three months that I may or may not downloaded and there were 7 apps I listed in no particular order and (some I've downloaded before but didn't use and uninstalled for more space). I also ran my phone in safe mode and there were no calls that switched from handset to speaker phone. One by one I will be installing these apps over time and try to possible narrow down this annoying issue.

0 Likes
nfc_south

Also ran a test with music/ news talk on a computer and used a another phone (landline) to send the audio to my cell phone via phone call and I ran it about 5 minutes a little more and no switching. So on the app reinstalls that I ranked for the causing of this potential issue.

0 Likes
nfc_south

So while it has been all quiet for now with the uninstalling of the apps I have installed in the past 3 to 4 months and of course I can not find my list of apps I uninstalled but I did reinstall a compass, level, and Xbox live app and no problems with handset phone conversations and I did not reinstall the waze map app. I will find my list hopefully and list the other apps I haven't reinstalled. Next I will test my Bluetooth in my car and my ear piece again and give an update.

0 Likes
nfc_south

I don't have any hard evidence but my Bluetooth has been functioning properly since I uninstalled the recent apps on my phone within the last 3 to 4 months. Maybe the apps I installed had some connection to those permissions on your phone that you have to agree with so again I can't make a solid connection that it does. If someone else who follows this post would try the same testing I completed to see if there is a connection between the Bluetooth/handset and apps in there permissions to the functions on your cell phone.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Should be able to find your list by logging into the Play Store online and going to My Apps.

0 Likes
nfc_south

So an updated it seem this Bluetooth issue just got worst, without even having a Bluetooth connected to the phone when on a normal call with the handset the audio switches back and forth for SPEAKER PHONE to HANDSET.....

IM done VERIZON your brand is going down hill, if this is not fixed soon I switching carriers and not using another Motorola device mind you I am not under contract.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Nfc_south,

We definitely feel your concerns with this. I have a phone that is nearly as old as your Razr Maxx HD is. There can be many different reasons for a phone to start acting up like this. What kind of troubleshooting have you tried so far? I have noticed that master resets are needed more often when a device starts to get long in years. I would definitely recommend factory resetting it and NOT installing any apps at first. Go ahead and test the phone and see if the issue is still ongoing. Do you know if you have purchased the extended warranty for the device? That could be another option we can look into.

Please keep us informed!

ChristopherM_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
nfc_south

It's already said and done went to a Verizon store today and the experience tech already knew about the issue with these series of driod maxx and it being a hardware issue. Now Im on the fence to switch phones or switch services or both because obviously there is now priority fort this growing issue from both Motorola and Verizon so I guess thanks, as things like this is what get big corporations rolling down hill and trust me my experience in seeing this happen is first hand.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I definitely understand your concerns. The phone you have is fairly old that this point. The manufacturer eventually stops support for devices once they reach their end-of-life cycle. The last update Motorola released for the Droid Razr Maxx HD was in September of 2014. That device originally came out in October of 2012 and will be approaching its 3rd birthday soon. Please let us know if we can help you pick out a new device.

ChristopherM_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
nfc_south

So two to three years is a average phone life cycle, all the money to get a phone before this edge plan and all and a phone CPU/mother board just stops working incorrectly sounds suspicious to me even if there were no more updates seem like this is just to get consumers to get another phone. Also my phone just upruptly stop working correctly in the past two weeks and it was just fine making and receiveing calls in the beginning of the month of May, I'm not buying it and with all this technology you mean all the money to squeeze circuits on a small board only last 2 to 3 years when PC last at least 5 to 7 with proper maintenance. For a phone that's about 3.5 phones in 10 years I'm not sold. I will be sure to document my next phone when I decide to get one the day I get it and its uprupt time it just stops functioning correctly.

EET

Rm

0 Likes
Chas1347

Had issue like yours on droid mini. Took it in 3 times, even bought new headset. Had to replace phone. Now all is OK.

0 Likes
nfc_south

Was it the OS/software that crashed in the droid mini that no software update can fix. Or what was the reason given to you by the reps

0 Likes
Chas1347

No reason was given. They were going to send phone in for repairs. I believe it was the hardware. I too use Bluetooth about 75 % of the time for communication while driving.

0 Likes
nfc_south

Well I guess I'm next on the list, my Motorola droid razr maxx hd is having the same issue now with this Bluetooth drooping during phone calls and connecting back to the head set. After reading this thread I still see there is no solution to this. This issue just started for me about a week ago and I have unpaired and paired, cycled Bluetooth settings on and off and for my car removed and re registered my phone probably about 4 times now soooooo, VERIZON what is the ISSUE!!!! and more importantly when will this be SOLVED!!!!.

Yours truly a fellow Electronic Engineer

0 Likes
kshaw75

Right there with you.  This problem started for me about a week ago.  Bluetooth was working perfectly, and literally a day later kept failing.  I've unpaired/re-paired more times than I can count.  It will connect with other devices, but fails when I actually attempt to make a call or transfer a file.

Just to avoid issues - Droid Maxx, ver. 4.4.4, build #SU6-7.2

I thought perhaps with the system update that went through yesterday the problem would be resolved, but apparently that was wishful thinking!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I'm sorry your bluetooth is not staying connected kshaw75. We know the importance of having this work properly and we will do all we can to help. Are you having issues with any applications on your device? Have you tried a factory reset after the update?

KinquanaH_VZW Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
redneck65674
Enthusiast - Level 3

Which Android version are you currently using?  This problem popped up on my Droid Razr M when it first updated from Ice Cream Sandwich to Jelly Bean.  I suffered through it for a couple months, then a new update to Android 4.4.2 solved the problem.  It also resolved some issues with poor battery life as well.  Hope this will help or at least give you some hope!
Regards,
Jeff

0 Likes