Communication Client Access Issue
CmartelMA

Hello,

I moved from a Motorola Droid Bionic to a Moto X after my Bionic started shutting off with a claim of 0% battery only to be at 80% once plugged in.

I spoke with some of the staff at the local VZW store (an "Actual" store, not a authorized reseller) and was assured that basically all the functionality I had with my Bionic would be pretty much the same on the current Moto X....Only better.

I purchased my X off-contract (paid full price) and I have one critical issue that needs to be addressed somehow.

In order to have my company contact list on my new phone (which they just updated for 4.4) the security suite needs root access (this is due to a proprietary security feature built into the overall communication suite my company developed)

Funny thing is despite being assured by the folks at the store that I would be able to unlock my phone if I paid full price for it.....there is no means or method to do this.

I am now beyond the time period where I can return my new phone to Motorola since I have had it longer than 14 days, and it does not function in the manner I was told it would.

Is there any resolution here, or do I have a $500 paperweight?

0 Likes
Re: Communication Client Access Issue
billhong
Enthusiast - Level 3

Sorry for the delayed response, but a couple of questions--did you get the phone via Verizon, or directly from Motorola?

Have you asked Motorola if there's any recourse to your situation?

Frankly, I would not have relied 100% on something told to me verbally in the VZW store (why do I know this?)--would want to check online to verify, places like xda-developers.com will always have good info.  Bottom line is that workaday VZW Moto Xs cannot be rooted, except for the Developer Edition, which is only available from Motorola directly.  If you contact them, perhaps there's a way to exchange your phone for a Developers model.  Otherwise, my suggestion (if you like the phone well enough to keep using one) is to buy a Developers model from Motorola so you can root it, then sell your current phone on Ebay or swappa to someone who wants a stock model to just use.  HTH.

0 Likes
CmartelMA

I like it, but I cannot justify spending another 450 dollars on a phone.

I purchased it directly from Motorola, since going through the Verizon site did not include all the customization options.

I find it rather funny that VZW is the only carrier that does not allow for root level access or unlocking of the bootloader.

There is no rational reason to have this restriction.  I was told I could do it by a representative of the company, they need to honor it.

I will check with Motorola, and failing that, I will simply walk away from Verizon.  This is the latest in a long line of broken promises.

0 Likes
billhong
Enthusiast - Level 3

I understand...I had to get mine through Motorola as well because of limited options available from VZW directly (and they suppressed my review of the phone, I think because I elaborated on why getting it off contract gave you more options).  I just wish that we had the availability of getting a Developers model with the Motomaker custumizations as well, but I'm happy enough with mine without the need to unlock the bootloader.  Since your situation is different I hope you can get a resolution directly from Motorola.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon isn't the only carrier locking the bootloaders.  AT&T is known to do it too.  Root access also creates a potential security issue along with voiding the phone's warranty.  So I am really surprised your company would design their app is such a manner.

If such deep level access is needed on the phone there are other sites much more geared towards that endeavor.  However discussing rooting and hacking of device isn't allowed on this forum because of the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service here.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes