Defective product received from Motorola-Verizon wont assist
MetalBenderToo

I ordered a new Turbo 2 on the Verizon web site in early November.  Because it was ‘customized’ it came from the MotoStore in China.  About a week after receipt, I noticed the metal strip that covers the camera on the rear of the phone was not securely attached.  I expected this to be a simple matter of reporting to Verizon to have the phone replaced.  Instead it has turned into a multi week marathon of pointed fingers and no resolution.

My first call to Verizon customer service, after several minutes of hold time while the agent searched for information, resulted in a direction to call Motorola for assistance.  My first subsequent call to Motorola I was told ‘you bought this from Verizon, call them’.  On the second call to Verizon, after several transfers, I was given a different Motorola number to contact and the vague instruction ’if they tell you to call Verzion back, tell them to call Verizon and we will have a three way call to straighten this out.’. 

My next contact with Motorola, again after speaking to several agents, resulted in my supplying photos of the defect to Motorola and them assigning an incident number.  Then things got REALLY messy.

Motorola informed me that I could send the phone to them and they would replace it at no charge, but I would be without a phone for the time it took to reach their processing center, be processed, and a new phone ordered and shipped.  I explained that it was unacceptable to be without a phone for an extended, indeterminate period.  Eventually after several calls and email exchanges Motorola offered to send me a new phone ‘up front’ if I paid a $25 expedite fee (I believe called the Advance Exchange Program).  I explained this was a new phone, the defect was due to a manufacturing defect by Motorola and not due to misuse on my part, and I did not feel I should have to pay this expedite fee after having spent $700 on the phone itself.  The various (apparently offshore) Motorola agents I spoke to informed me there was no other option and no one in Motorola was authorized to waive this charge.

So on November 30 I visited my local Verizon store.  The manager on duty acknowledged my issue, and after making some calls and online inquires again repeated this was an issue between me and Motorola EVEN THOUGH I BOUGHT THE PHONE FROM VERIZON.  The most he could ‘do’ was note in my account to give me a credit for the estimated time period I would be without the phone.  In addition, apparently the first Verizon call center contact put a note to issue me a credit for the accessory ‘glass’ cover which would need to be replaced if the phone was replaced.

So on December 1 I called Motorola once again. I repeated my issue and the call center person (again offshore) reviewed the incident notes and repeated that he could not waive the Advance Exchange Program fees.  In frustration I agreed to pay the fees, at which time he took down much of my information, then placed me on a long hold.  On his return he informed me that instead of processing the order he would forward the incident to ‘headquarters’ in the US where someone would contact me in 48-72 hours.

This has not happened as yet.

My position:  Verizon should be responsible for getting me a new phone set without having to be without a phone during the interim period.  Verizon and Motorola should figure out the charges and logistics between the two of you and TAKE CDARE OF YOUR CUSTOMER.

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: Defective product received from Motorola-Verizon wont assist
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Could you not borrow a phone from a family member or friend during the exchange process? Did you have another Verizon Wireless phone before the Turbo 2?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Re: Defective product received from Motorola-Verizon wont assist
MetalBenderToo

I sent my old phone back for their trade in deal.  And having new and old phones side by side allows using NFC to transfer from one to the other.  And it is the principle...this burden should not fall on me for a Motorola/Verizon defect.

0 Likes