Droid Maxx will not make or receive calls with a full signal
j_spence
Enthusiast - Level 1

My Droid Maxx has been doing this for the last week or two. It seems to only happen at night though. I have a full 4g LTE signal, however it changes from grey to blue constantly. I am able to text, search the web, or plain just do anything else...other than call out or receive a phone call.

When I try and call it just says dialing or retrying.

Has anyone else had this same issue? I have searched my phone for any time settings that may be keeping me from making or receiving calls during certain hours since this only happens at night when I am at work but have not found anything.

Labels (2)
37 Replies
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Let's get you connected again j_spence. I appreciate all the information provided to us regarding your calling concerns. I want to ensure there is not a reported issue in your home area. What zip code are you in? Have you tried removing and reinserting the SIM card to reset the network? To learn how to do this click, http://vz.to/1bU6rg9 then test your calls. Keep us updated.

Thank You,
MichelleL_VZW
VZW Support
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSUPPORT

SSMITTY
Enthusiast - Level 2

I received a replacement phone and I have duplicated the problem on it. The call problems occur only when Wifi is turned on AND this began AFTER the KitKat release was installed on the phone(s). I noticed a similar complaint in the forum and his timeline suggests that he might be having the same problem. How can I get this investigated?

Thanks

>>Personal information removed to comply with the <<

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

Sheli2
Enthusiast - Level 2

When the dropped calls occur, does the phone beep right after the call is connected and then some time after your voice just echos back at you and the call is dropped?  That is what keeps happening to me, and only the last couple of months, not when I first purchased the phone in March.  I have never had this problem before.

0 Likes
Sheli2
Enthusiast - Level 2

And it could be only since I have had the wifi turned on all the time.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Sheli2,

Thanks for the update! When turning off wifi, do you power your phone off, then on? I would like to see if it is possible that the phone is freezing on you. Test it out and please let us know.

SandyS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Sheli2
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm not sure what I am supposed to be testing.  I don't normally turn off and on my phone when I turn off WiFi, that would be very inconvenient if I had to do that.  But, just now, I turned off my WiFi, received 4g again and then powered off and on my phone.  I am still getting 4g but haven't tried to make a call.  I don't think my phone is freezing up on me.  When on a call and my voice starts echoing back, the call is dropped and I end the call.  Everything else works fine on the phone except I only get 4g coverage when the WiFi is turned off.

0 Likes
Sheli2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Again, even if my wifi is turned off, and it shows 4g coverage, I get the beep when calling out and then usually the call is dropped sometime during the call.   After restarting my phone, and not on wifi, I tried to make a call and still got the beep.  My phone did not do that prior to a couple of months ago.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

What OS do you currently have on your Droid Maxx)  do you have 21.11.21 .?   Go to your settings scroll up to about phone tap there and look under Legal Information.. the OS build is right under that..

0 Likes
Sheli2
Enthusiast - Level 2

0 Likes
B33
Legend

O boy.!  I was hoping you had the OS I posted.. The one you currently have is causing issues, customers are reporting on it here and on other forums as well, there's no going back to the old OS so you might try running a system cache clear or a F.D.R. but even then I don't know if it help.. 

Hopefully something will be done to fix it soon...

0 Likes
Sheli2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for trying to help.  One of the reasons I bought the Maxx is because of the extended battery life.  I have not installed very many apps and have not installed any recently, but about the time I started getting the dropped calls, my battery started draining faster. ( But right now, it shows the android system and android OS combined uses 13% battery life and no particular app is using more than 5%.  It's the screen using the most now at 59% and I try to dim when possible.) This could be about the time the OS was updated.  For the dropped call issue, I'm thinking I need to get disconnected from a network extender in my area, which apparently uses someone's internet connection, from what I read.  There was no problem with dropped calls or clarity before so I don't know why someone would need a network extender in my area.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Well it's this new OS that is causing all the Issues Sheli2 not the phone.. My Droid Maxx is still on the old 21.11.21 and it is doing fine making & receiving calls and using Wi-Fi  to me the OS should of been stopped or pulled after the Soak Test that was ran an testers of it were having issues with there Maxx's  go figure why it was not..

But I would do this and soon.!  if the issues continue on your Maxx  try & see if a store in your area will replace your Maxx.. with one they have or have one sent to you and when you get it,  Hopefully it'll have the 21.11.21 OS still on it if it does and the phone ask to update hold off as long as you can with it.. Check back here on the Forum or other forums to see if the issues have cleared up on it  hopefully after a couple months have passed this update will be fixed.. 

Or something will be done cross our fingers. b

Sheli2
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've had Verizon for 10 years or so and have never had a problem.  I hope this gets resolved soon!  If they can't issue an update soon to fix the issues, I will not be happy because this is not what I am paying for.  I will see if I can get my phone replaced.  Thanks again!!

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Let me know what happens..

0 Likes
Sheli2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Update:  It still does the same thing when the WiFi is turned off.  But, by turning off WiFi, I get 4g again.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for all the extra details, Sheli2. A short beep right after the call connects is an indication the device is picking up a Network Extender, but may be close to being out of range (possibly a neighbor has the device but needs to manage their Network Extender whitelist at www.vzw.com). To verify that a device is connected to a Network Extender, dial #48.

JenniferH_VZW

Follow us on Twitter www.twitter.com/vzwsupport

0 Likes
Sheli2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Jennifer, I called #48 and verified that I am connected to a network extender.  Why am I recently receiving a problem when I never have before?  And what can be done to fix this problem?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Let's figure this out, Sheli2! Do you own a network extender? If not, a neighbor may have installed one that you are on the edge of range for. This may explain why the issues started recently.

Thanks,
MichelleH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Sheli2
Enthusiast - Level 2

No, I do not have a network extender nor have I needed one in the past. As I explained before, I dialed #48 and got a message that I was connected to one. How do I get disconnected? Someone else's network should not be interfering with my service!

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE DROID

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Hey Sheli2 don't know if this will work or not Try Dialing the #48 I think it was)  see if that Disconnects you unless you've already have tried that.. I'm searching as well how to Disconnect.. from one..

0 Likes