Droid Maxx won't connect to WiFi
Tsalagiman

I have Motorola Droid Maxx that has recently stopped connecting to WiFi. It will sometimes connect momentarily, then loses it. The WiFi will sometimes show neighboring WiFi's and sometimes not. I've tried rebooting the router and no change. I didn't think it was the router since other phones and computers connect to the same router with no problem. Turning the Data off to disable 4G doesn't change anything. Turning the WiFi off and then on changes nothing. Rebooting the phone may get the WiFi back for a while, but then it drops it again. I checked the system updates, and the last time the phone updated was May 11, 2016. That seemed to be a long time, so I  checked for system updates and it says the device's software is up to date. The version is 24.21.7.en.US.

This seems to be a widespread problem going back several years judging from entries in the forum here. Are there any fixes?

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: Droid Maxx won't connect to WiFi
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi, Tsalagiman. I know that Wi-Fi is an important part of how many  people manage their data usage, so I'm sorry you're running into these  issues. Thank you for the details you provided, and the troubleshooting  you've already completed. You are on the most current software. Have you  tried connecting while in Safe Mode?  https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-83030/ When you  reference 'rebooting' the device, do you mean power cycling, or a full  factory reset?  https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-83492/

KarolineD_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Tsalagiman

Verizon Wireless Customer Support wrote:

Hi, Tsalagiman. I know that Wi-Fi is an important part of how many people manage their data usage, so I'm sorry you're running into these issues. Thank you for the details you provided, and the troubleshooting you've already completed. You are on the most current software. Have you tried connecting while in Safe Mode? https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-83030/ When you reference 'rebooting' the device, do you mean power cycling, or a full factory reset? https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-83492/

KarolineD_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

I took the phone to the local Verizon store, and one of the associates worked with it for about a half hour. He did everything except a factory reset and couldn't get it to connect. He power cycled it, cleared the cache, tried Safe Mode, etc. He didn't do a factory reset because he didn't want to wipe out everything on my phone and he was checking forums (including this one) while working with it and saw a factory reset didn't solve anything in a number of other cases. Nothing he did got the WiFi to come up even for a few minutes. Since my posting, the Bluetooth has since gone down. That's not as big a deal as a non-functional Wifi, but nice to have. 

0 Likes
Tsalagiman

I think I may have found the solution in another forum. Another user reported that a Motorola software update caused the problem. Motorola pushed out another update which appeared to have fixed the WiFi connection problem for this user. I checked my phone, and Android 4.4.4 KitKat is the latest I have. Whatever the update was that fixed this problem, I would like to know how to get it. http://vz.to/2lPGRQX

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We always want to see you have the very best device experience. I can confirm the software version 24.21.7 is the latest version for the Droid Maxx. As you have tested the device in Safe Mode the final step would be a factory reset using these instructions to back up and complete the steps: https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-103915/ YaleK_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
RICAND98
Enthusiast - Level 1

This problem seems to be related to the "Verizon Security & Privacy App". I  fought with this WI-FI issue for the past week. I used the online tech support, the local Verizon store, and Android sites. A lot of ideas, however none worked. I was thinking back if I changed any Apps, and I remembered, on one of the sites, someone mentioned something about a security app. The "Verizon Security & Privacy App" seemed to just to show up on my start page, or I never saw it in the first place. Any way, I opened settings and clicked on apps  and clicked on "Disable" and a window came up and asked if I want to reset to the original version of the app. I clicked yes and then went backed to reconnect with my wi-fi. I entered the pass code and, much to my surprise, the wi-fi icon came on and stayed on. I repeated the process on my wife's phone and, like magic,our wi-fi was back!

As an after thought, if the app updates in the future we may need to redo the process. Good luck.

NANBRE26

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you! After hours of troubleshooting using  lots of advice from forums and turning off , turning on my phone and router, yours was the very solution. I have shared this with other frustrated people. I hope Verizon sees this and does something about it.

0 Likes
Menno

I had the same problem...I see that this thread is old, but thought someone else might be having the problem.

I couldn't disable the Privacy and Security app by going to apps via the settings shortcut route (the little squares surrounded by a circle)  i found no disable option there,  but then I pulled up the apps by tapping tools>setttings>apps, the format was different and I then had the disable option. I removed the app and everything is working nicely now.

0 Likes