Enable Xoom browser desktop mode (not mobile web access mode)
rive0108

For  those using the Xoom, you may have noticed that while using the browser you get mobile webpages. some web content is not accessable or viewable in this mode.

There is a way to set the Xoom to browse in desktop mode, and access content the same as for a notebook/desktop. This enables you to fully access Facebook apps/games (like Cityville), etc. This will not work for sites such as hulu, but for most other sites- especially those that deliever seperate content for mobile devices, this will allow you to surf the net as if you were on a desktop pc, and overall will provide a much better viewing experience for Xoom users.

here is how to set your Xoom for desktop brower mode:

Open up your browser, in address bar type

about:debug

go to, then click the box in upper right hand corner, select settings, select debug, select UAString, select desktop, close out settings, close all brower windows, reopen browser. Done.

To reset back to default config, simply restart the Xoom.

0 Likes
Re: Enable Xoom browser desktop mode (not mobile web access mode)
Wildman
Legend

If you have to do this with stock browser to get full version until reboot, why dont you just try a 3rd party browser like Opera or Dolphin Browse HD

0 Likes
Re: Enable Xoom browser desktop mode (not mobile web access mode)
rive0108

Because I like the Droid stock browser, and it is very easy to enable. You also have the option to enable webOS  and froyo, Iphone/Ipad modes.

The main benefit is I can use the default Droid mode which is excellent for data use, if say i am using verizon data. if i am on wifi, desktop mode is preferred because data use/bandwidth is no longer a concern and i can enjoy the full browser experience and for those sites I want to browse in desktop mode either because there is no support for Droid, or the website mobile version is subpar, I.e., lacking in feature/functionality, I can switch browser modes in less than 5 seconds. I can alse switch it back to Droid mode just as easy without rebooting.

Its very convienent

0 Likes