Got info for LOLLIPOP 5.1
Don3680
Enthusiast - Level 3

I spoke to a Verizon employee regarding LOLLIPOP 5.1 & he said all the Motorola's have to receive the update but the Droid Turbo is the last phone in line to receive the update. All the Motorola phones INCLUDING the Droid Turbo HAVE TO receive the update before Motorola begins working on the M which is Muffin after LOLLIPOP.

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: Got info for LOLLIPOP 5.1
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The Moto X 2014 hasn't received 5.1 yet. Neither has the Moto X 2013 model. I doubt every single carrier model for the Moto X 2014 has received it.

What's your big hurry anyway? I really can't tell the difference between KitKat on one of my devices vs the Lollipop 5.1 on another in terms of their functionality.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
D1fz
Contributor - Level 1

LOL - By now I don't think anything about the Droid Turbo Lollipop update can be called "big hurry".

Why not just scrap the Lollipop plans and start on M for the Turbo? Lollipop on the Turbo is so long overdue that its past the point of mattering anymore. I'm already thinking about my next phone and carrier. From the information released, they worked on then scrapped 5.0.x, and maybe Verizon recently bumped Turbo's 5.1 back to Motorola for more changes. Just scrap 5.1 and move on to better things. Atleast M will allow more control over app permissions, to go with Material design and the ART Java runtime that we've been waiting on. Actually, you can already use ART on the Turbo, but IMO it is in a buggy beta state.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I believe the last thing I read was Motorola is still working on it and hasn't ever sent 5.1 to Verizon for testing. Verizon Wireless doesn't touch the code. All complaining should be directed at Motorola not Verizon Wireless.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
D1fz
Contributor - Level 1

Never said Verizon wrote any code. I'd read Motorola had submitted Turbo's 5.1 and it was declined. I cannot recall if that was one of the few legitimate sources that said it or one of the many misinformation clickbait sites.

0 Likes
Don3680
Enthusiast - Level 3

Motorola web site said "waiting for carrier permission." Its not Motorola, its Verizon. I have the Droid Turbo and I think it's a great phone, there is nothing wrong with the phone other then I should calibrate the battery, its all VERIZON.

0 Likes
Don3680
Enthusiast - Level 3

That's why I'm furious, I've been taunting Verizon by making posts about the LOLLIPOP about being left out in the dark and I will continue taunting them until they treat us like humans again.

0 Likes
D1fz
Contributor - Level 1

I tried to edit (add to) my previous post and it didn't work. This is what I intended to add to it.

Verizon does put theirself in the software process by requiring manufacturers to customize the software for them. An example would be the requirement of baking in Verizon apps and other customizations. They also put theirself in the update process by approving/declining updates. Also, their store employees don't mind using the "soon to be updated" tactic to make sales - which ends up making profit for Verizon.

If the manufacturers made software updates and pushed them out, then i'd never consider Verizon responsible. Also, their sales employees work for them. Verizon is responsble for the tactics their sales employees use in selling merchandise. The "we didn't tell them to say it" statement doesn't excuse responsibility.

Don3680
Enthusiast - Level 3

Still, why a perfectly good and reliable phone with almost 3 gigs of rom get declined the LOLLIPOP Update? I look at it this way even though it has nothing to do with Android: Remember Windows Vista? If LOLLIPOP was or IS indeed buggy why was it distributed to other phones or carriers? I hope Android learns from the mistakes of LOLLIPOP and does not go down like Microsoft did and the update M for Muffin is reliable and not as buggy.

0 Likes
Eddiear
Contributor - Level 1

Ann154 wrote:

What's your big hurry anyway?

Was hoping 5.X would fix a few bugs. Beginning to think the fix may be via AT&T. Definitely my last Motorola. Hands down the worst phone I've ever owned.

- Battery last 16 - 18 hours one day, 8 - 10 hours the next (consistent usage)

- Ninety percent of the apps I've tried cause cause the phone to bat crap crazy (most worked on my S4)

- Press the home screen button and app drawer disappears (screen slides down)

- Cannot open some emails (including the ones from this site)

- One in two incoming calls disconnect after one ring

- Apps take from five to 15 seconds to open

- Camera takes five to 10 seconds to activate shutter

- Arbitrarily powers down (no, not pressing the wrong button; happens sitting on my desk)

- Yada, yada, yada...

0 Likes