How do I block text messages using message+?
BigBaldy
Enthusiast - Level 1

HELP,

I've searched everywhere yet I'm sure it's right under my nose! I like the program and don't want to switch yet I'm sick of the "erectile dysfunction" tests etc!

Thanks in advance

Labels (1)
  • Droid

31 Replies
JediSQL
Enthusiast - Level 1

It took me a while, but I found something somewhat useful.
If you long press the offending message, one of the choices is "Report Spam."
I tried that, and it said it was reported and deleted the message.
Much easier than trying to forward it to a number not in your contacts.

Orf411
Enthusiast - Level 1

Can't do it from Message+. However, switch to the Google Messages app, (temporarily set as default) open to the offending message, click on the 3 dots, and select "report spam". Verizon, if you're reading this, please add this feature to Message+.

Ilikebells
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks for the reminder. I have always used Verizon Messages+ but since it doesn't offer a basic blocking feature I've moved to Google Messages. Our info is always for sale and our security is for sale with Verizon. I'm not going to buy a different package, only live with only being able to block 5 numbers nor am I going to sign on to my Verizon account to block a number. All are UNACCEPTABLE. 
It should be easy. As a matter of fact Verizon should have software finding, reporting and stopping SPAM callers. Just another way consumers are taken advantage of  for $$.

altoflyer
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, I agree. In the same way that ISP's with email service detect and block spam, so should the cell carriers. You all at Verizon could consult with the ISPs to see what their procedures are. The fast-fluxing phone numbers make it impossible for us, as consumers, to block every number. Ergo, it is something you should be looking into doing as part of the service provided to us.

altoflyer
Enthusiast - Level 2

Oh, and when I say "You all at Verizon ..." I don't mean you, ilikebells, but the Verizon staff who monitor these threads. 🙂

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for your valuavle feedback. This has been lifted to the proper team. Any updates will be posted, and availible. I hope this helps. -AlbertP_VZW

surfdog1996

Samsung Galaxy Phone. I added the message number to my contacts and named it spam (you can name it anything). I then went into contacts and blocked the number. It said calls and messages will be blocked.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

surfdog1996, we appreciate your assistance. Here's another option to block unwanted text messages from certain phone numbers: 

https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/block-numbers/

LasinaJ_VZW

0 Likes
Tsavo01

Call Filter not a viable option. I had it for about a year then dropped it. It was great for about two months then it let over 75% of spam thru and blocked NO text spam. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Unwanted calls and texts are frustrating. Thank you for the feedback, Orf411, and the suggestion for Google Messages. One additional suggestion if to use our free call and message blocking feature: https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-200867/

GinaU_VZW

0 Likes
altoflyer
Enthusiast - Level 2

Okay, but the problem with that is you have to type in the numbers by hand in order to block them. You should have an option available in message+ that allows us to just block them right then and there.

EricFromPoz
Enthusiast - Level 1

agreed.  can't up-vote this enough.  Does Verizon eat their own dog food?  I hate message+ because it's so dam SPAM friendly.  And every comment from a VZW person keep going on and on about how they are sorry for this and that they care, bla, bla, bla.  

Please just shut up and fix these very annoying issues.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We want to help and fix any issues that are preventing you from getting the most from your wireless service, EricFromPoz. What issues are specifically happening in your case? ChrisM_VZW

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

@altoflyer It's important to us that you know what options you have for reporting any spam text messages. You can forward spam texts to 7726 (SPAM) to help identify and prevent future occurrences.

JesusG_VZW

0 Likes
punalei
Enthusiast - Level 1

My phone will not forward to SPAM. It is looking for a 10 digit number.

KH-OrnEsh
Moderator Emeritus
Due to the age of this thread, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.
0 Likes
Nuro
Enthusiast - Level 2

I would use your free call and message blocking if it allowed me to block an infinite amount of numbers.  Your list is like 5 and they are not permanent.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

@Nuro ,

It's great to know that you've checked out some of our blocking options, but the 5 numbers that we will block for 90 days is not the only option. Your own device can block hundreds of numbers already, while our Call Filter and Smart Family programs offer blocking services among many other features: https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/block-numbers/ . The free version of Call Filter will let you block spam calls automatically, but specific numbers (if you did not want to use the device's block options) can be blocked using Call Filter Plus. 

RussellM_VZW

Annie31
Enthusiast - Level 2

For what it's worth, the link you sent for blocking messages states "You can block calls and messages from up to 5 numbers in My Verizon for no charge. These blocks will expire after 90 days." If that's not the case, Verizon should clarify.

There's no reason that your customers should be forced to spend their time figuring out how your complicated blocking process works.

The solution is obvious and simple: Add a "Block" option to the three dots menu.

I want to block numbers fairly often (your spam filters are mediocre at best), but I've never wanted to customize, schedule a new message, or send an invite. Why are these cutesy, infrequently useful options available but BLOCK isn't? Does that really make sense to you?

mkolber
Enthusiast - Level 3

Kind of sounds like Verizon doesn't really care about spam unless it's to sell us a subcription-based  product.