If You Had it to do Over
wgragg1

I'm considering a Xoom and trying to get honest opinions from people.  If you had it to do over again, would you still get the Xoom or wait for the Galaxy Tab 10.1 (or another Android)?  What about the Ipad2?  Would it be an option for you now?

I'd like to know what you like and dislike about the Xoom and why.

One thing that I am worried about with the Xoom is its long term prospects, consideering how few have actually sold.  I would hate to buy one to have Motorola stop developing it due to poor sales.

Thanks.

0 Likes
Re: If You Had it to do Over
Not applicable
I sent my Zoom back after 24 hours. It was too heavy and too big.
0 Likes
dave_flagg
Enthusiast - Level 3
Well, i have had a few different thoughts about it. But overall i am glad i kept it. But i can tell you if you put it next to a ipad2 and view the same web page or picture the ipad wins no question. Somehow they need to increase the color saturation. But as far as the utility i am glad i have the xoom. The Galaxy and the ipad don't have the sd slot but so far on an unrooted xoom neither do we. But hopefully that gets fixed soon. And we dont have to go to the itunes store for EVERYTHING and can even get apps from other developers. I guess it is much like the comparison between apple and a pc with the xoom being more pc like. Yes it is slightly heavier but that really hasnt been an issue for me.
0 Likes
21stNow
Master - Level 1

I'll give this a shot, as it can be hard for me to put into words why I like the XOOM. The iPad 2 was not a consideration because I like choices, namely keyboard. I also am an Android fan who was looking forward to Honeycomb. I have not been disappointed. The only other tablet that I was trying to hold out for was a ten inch HTC tablet. I grew tired of waiting for that. I hear that it may have Sense on it, as well. I like Sense for phones, but don't want it on a tablet. If I were into the waiting game now, the ASUS Padfone has piqued my interest. However, that is rumored to be out this Christmas, which would probably be too long. I need more details about it anyway. My only regret with the XOOM is that I waited as long as I did to get it, which was about three weeks after launch. I wanted at least a ten inch tablet, a cellular radio, and at least Android 3.0. The frequent updates have been a plus. HTH.

0 Likes
reallyniceguy
Contributor - Level 3
The zoom is cool. There are alot of things you can do. That being said, its NOT a netbook or a computer. It will not work as a replacement, more like a big android phone. You can pair a ps3 control and play emulators, I use mine to streat video via ustream. I rarely use it now. I think the samsung galaxy tab may be better until the xoom gets the so called update.
0 Likes
vayapues
Enthusiast - Level 2

in a heart beat.  

I had an iPad, which I loved.  It was a great basic tablet.  But it does not compare to my xoom.  I had hoped that my iPad would replace my laptop, but it never quite could.  Since purchasing my xoom, my laptop has remained on my desk at work.

It is just an all around better, more powerful device.  When the xoom and the iPad 2 were both announced but not yet released, I had hoped that the iPad 2 would be more powerful, so that I didn't have to repurchase all my apps by switching to the xoom.  I was of course disappointed.

Still no real multi-tasking, no flash support, no widgets, no control over settings, no choice in how I mod the device for my needs, lower rez screen, lower rez cameras, slower processor, no tabbed browsing, smaller screen, and on and on...

In the end, I could see no choice but upgrading to a xoom, and there is no looking back.  Not only has it managed to replace my laptop effectivly, (which my iPad could never quite do) but it has also begun to replace my smartphone.  I am seriously considering downgrading my phone to a simple flip phone, since I hardly use the smart features anymore.  Something that never crossed my mind when I was using the iPad.

Don't get me wrong.  I like the iPad.  I would not hesitate to recommend it to people looking for a more basic tablet.  But to anyone who wants a more powerful device the Xoom, as well as a few other top tier android tablets are your better option... with any luck, Apple will come out stronger with the iPad 3.

0 Likes
dave_flagg
Enthusiast - Level 3
As someone who typically buys new devices when they first come out I expect problems/issues as well as putting up with frequent updates to fix and stabilize those issues. I expected a similar experience with the Xoom based on research and discussions with the vzw reps. I have gotten only about 75% of that. The missing sd and 4g updares have been a real letdown. And one expectation as an early adopter is that you get the 'cool' stuff before everyone else. I expected the price to come down on the unit eventually but had hoped as an early adopter I would get that cool stuff as a reward for paying full price. But nothing happened. No word from vzw or motorola to confirm we would get it and now the price has dropped so no benefit for being an early adopter. Yes they did give us flash pretty much on time but that was a pretty small reward in my opinion. I originally replied to this thread saying I would do it again. Hindsight is 20/20 for sure. If vzw had said it might be a while instead of 'soon' I might have waited a bit. I still like the xoom better than the others that have come out sinc but feel like vzw ripped me off with the price. But I am realistic and know that was a risk, i just expected more from a company like vzw.
0 Likes
21stNow
Master - Level 1

I agreed with everything that you said, except the last two sentences.  I think that the pricing was set by Motorola, rather than VZW.  The Wi-fi only XOOM was $200 cheaper than the cellular XOOM at launch.  Since VZW did not affect the pricing on the Wi-fi XOOM and that pricing is in line with the cellular version, I doubt VZW influenced the price of the cellular model.

Sadly, I should have known better than to expect Motorola to actually update this product.  They still have a chance to prove me wrong in September, though.

0 Likes