Is it wise to have a virus protection on our tablet? If so, what works best for the Xoom?
breeze1ss9

The title has my full inquiry.

Thank you, in advance, for your suggestions. 

0 Likes
Re: Is it wise to have a virus protection on our tablet? If so, what works best for the Xoom?
Wildman
Legend

There are mixed views on antivirus apps, after investigating the risk fact for Android device I have came to the conclusion that a virus protection application is a good item to use because more and more methods has been coming to light that hackers has been attempting to exploit...   I use Lookout or Kaspersky but Lookout is the better of the two if you want minimal resource being free and I believe it has a supported version for the Xoom.

Check the Market and give Lookout a try, there is a free version that you can experiment with to see if it works for you..

0 Likes
Re: Is it wise to have a virus protection on our tablet? If so, what works best for the Xoom?
breeze1ss9

Thanks so much Wildman. I will definitely check them out. I also read here

that Norton was good too.

Sabrina

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

Norton is also a option, some prefer it over others but it wasn't for me..  Hope one of them works wel for you..

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Lookout, Norton, AVG, and there are a few others. I don't use them. I don't blindly install apps or even side load apps unless I know where they are from.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

That is a good habit but lately hackers has became a little more tricky under some situations, they have been able to release a app with the popular names of apps that has been know to be trusted, when the user accidentally downloaded the wrong app a AV can help you protect your device.  Extra security isn't a bad ideal sometimes...

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

I am in a unique position that the apps I install are either from the market(I know the developers, or company like Gameloft. EA, RockStar games), I write them for myself, or handed to me by the developers themselves.  You are correct though sometimes it's better to be cautious.

Another thing to look at...  Sometimes if you pay attention to the company name...  At one point there were apps made by Google Inc. and apps made by Goole Inc or Googgle Inc.  Icons and names were the same...  SO make sure you don't just go by icons alone.

0 Likes