Is the Moto X really a Droid Maxx Lite?
Quartz22

I had a look at the new Moto X today and compared with the Droid Maxx. I'll own one of them in the near future. Apparently the Moto X will only be sold with 32GB in the Developer Edition. I have been comparing these two phones and it seems to me that the Moto X is really just a lite version of the Droid Maxx. They have mostly the same capabilities, just the Maxx has 32GB instead of 16GB and more battery power and the Maxx can charge wirelessly. Apart from that, the specs are pretty much the same, same CPU, screen resolution, etc. So I wouldn't expect to see a 32GB version of the Moto X. Did I miss something, or are these two phones really that much different?

Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: Is the Moto X really a Droid Maxx Lite?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The DROID Ultra would be a closer version of a DROID Maxx "Lite". The Moto X has on screen buttons where the DROID Maxx doesn't.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Plus+ to add as I seen it for my self  Moto X has a Slot on the side of it like the first Gen. Razr And Razr Maxx for it's Nano Sim Card good design,  On the new Ultra's the sim cards holder doubles as a Volume Rocker and when Looking at the way it's maid and how it holds the Sim Card in the phone I think if not installed properly and if the Volume rocker is used heavily I see allot of issues.. b33

0 Likes
scarshapedstar
Contributor - Level 1

The X has their nifty interface tricks like active notifications and gesture controls, but all told I would take the Maxx just because Dat Battery. That said I'd try to check out the feel of the X before deciding because I really like where they're going with this stuff.

The Ultra is more like a boring version of the X and will probably go over about as well as the Kin...

0 Likes
tomw3141
Enthusiast - Level 3

Blogosphere generally agrees that VZW will be getting the Moto Maker (just like ATT has now) sometime in October or November. When that happens, you will get to choose color AND 32 GBytes. Before that, (and still not yet) the only way to get 32 on the Moto X is to buy a Developer's Edition - and what's unknown is whether you can or must get it for full price (probably $649) or if VZW will sell it discounted like the majority of phones on contract. Many unknowns, hard to know when to pull trigger. I'm waiting for Moto X with 32 too.

0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

Verizon does not sell Dev Edition phones on contract, you have to get them direct from the manufacturer.

0 Likes
tomw3141
Enthusiast - Level 3

Let me see if I have this logic correct.

Unfortunately, right now (Sept 5, 2013) we can't get the DE from the manufacturer for any carrier (Moto site says "Coming Soon"). So, hopefully "soon".

To get the DE on VZW, it will have to be purchased in the VZW version XT1060 because there are different versions of the Moto X for each carrier. So, is there information that shows that Verizon won't be selling the Dev Edition - and that it can only be purchased from Motorola? I can believe it, but have not seen it suggested by a VZW informant or confirmed. Maybe you [demmo86rt] have/are a reliable source. Right now the Motorola page that shows (teases) the DE also has links to VZW and the Moto-Maker.

If  (as you say) we can only get DE from Motorola, that means full price - no subsidy - about $649. And therefore, the only way to get 32 GB soon on VZW is very expensive, and stays that way until VZW offers 32  directly, or when VZW Moto-Maker goes on line.

Of course, we also don't know when "soon" is. Don't know when the DE on VZW will be available (various rumors), or when Moto-Maker will be ready for VZW (rumors are November)

This waiting is a bummer.....

0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

Previous phones that have had a DE have only been available through the manufacturer.  My guess is that, due to the unlockability, Verizon isn't willing to warranty them, so they aren't willing to sell them.

0 Likes
tomw3141
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks demmo86rt. I dug and finally found a synopsis of a press release from Motorola, which supports what you have stated.

The consumer versions of the Sprint, T-Mobile, and U.S. Cellular Moto X variants will ship with unlockable bootloaders. Motorola will offer two developer variants, a Verizon Wireless Developer Edition and a general North American Developer Edition. Developers will need to purchase the developer editions directly from Motorola via its developer web site. The devices will need to be manually unlocked.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

This Unit hasn't Came out Yet but will Soon.!  Here's a couple Places to Look for it when it Does (( http://goo.gl/Q4I6rt (( http://goo.gl/iPRFWN  Hope this Helps Smiley Happy b33

0 Likes