Is the Moto X unlocked for international use?
androidadventures

I'm studying in the UK this semester and I want to trade in my iPhone 4 (unlockable) for the Moto X. I would then call and have it unlocked, and then suspend my service and just put a SIM card in it (probably Tesco) when I get to the UK. I should be able to do this, right? I keep running into problems with each Verizon rep I speak with, but I don't see why this won't work. Once the phone is unlocked, it's unlocked for good, yes? And then I'm free to suspend my service and put a SIM card in it, and once I get back to the states I can reactivate my service? Can anyone tell me why this won't work? I wouldn't want to pay for the service if I won't be in the states to use it...

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Unlockable/Sim Cards - International Use
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We'd love to help you with options, androidadventures. The great news is that all the 4G LTE Global-capable Android devices, like the Moto X, come already unlocked to be able to use with international SIMs while you're out of the country. We can't guarantee the service from another carrier while you're using a device intended for VZW, and you may need to reach out to the local carrier for help with activating the SIM. You can suspend your line at www.vzw.com/suspend for up to 90 days at a time for a total of 180 days in any 12 month period while you're away, then reactivate it at that same site when you're ready to use the line back in the states. 

Thank you
JenniferH_VZW

Please follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The Moto X is already SIM unlocked from the factory.

The iPhone 4 on Verizon Wireless isn't global ready and can never be unlocked.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We'd love to help you with options, androidadventures. The great news is that all the 4G LTE Global-capable Android devices, like the Moto X, come already unlocked to be able to use with international SIMs while you're out of the country. We can't guarantee the service from another carrier while you're using a device intended for VZW, and you may need to reach out to the local carrier for help with activating the SIM. You can suspend your line at www.vzw.com/suspend for up to 90 days at a time for a total of 180 days in any 12 month period while you're away, then reactivate it at that same site when you're ready to use the line back in the states. 

Thank you
JenniferH_VZW

Please follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes