robmalegia
Enthusiast - Level 2

Will we be getting Lollipop or no?

0 Likes
Re: Lollipop?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Motorola is planning to update the Moto X 2013 model. They were still working on it last I read.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
robmalegia
Enthusiast - Level 2

Last I read it was already out and that we need to wait for carrier support. Verizon isn't gonna give us Lollipop at this rate

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

That's incorrect. The Moto X 2014 has received Lollipop 5.1. The Moto X 2013 was in development and close to entering the testing labs. Then the AT&T version had an issue and was pulled. After that the Stagefright issue happened. Last I read, some updates were pulled back to add the Stagefright fix. Odds are, the Moto X 2013 model for Verizon was one of those updates.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
robmalegia
Enthusiast - Level 2

I kinda doubt it because my friend has it right now on his 2013

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Your friend either modified/hacked his phone or has a model running on a different carrier. He doesn't have the Verizon Wireless model. The Moto X 2013 model was last updated 5/28/2015 for a bug fix and stayed on KitKat for that update.

0 Likes
robmalegia
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well. Either way. I don't think Verizon is going to give us Lollipop because it's all about the money. Why update something they're gonna stop selling when the new models come out

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

It isn't up to Verizon Wireless whether or not the device is upgraded to Lollipop 5.1. Motorola writes the code. Motorola decided it was worth the effort to write the update. Only thing Verizon Wireless does is certify it works on their network without breaking the network. Verizon Wireless doesn't touch the code.

Personally I have the Moto X 2013 model and I'm in no hurry for the Lollipop 5.1 update on that phone after experiencing Lollipop 5.1 on other devices. I found in many ways I prefer the UI look of KitKat and the functionality of the phone doesn't change all that much between KitKat and Lollipop. I am certainly not pressuring Verizon Wireless where the update is. I follow Motorola to learn of the update's status.

0 Likes
robmalegia
Enthusiast - Level 2

It is up to Verizon

Motorola's update site says that the X1 will receive the update pending partner support

Verizon is the partner and it looks like they're not supporting

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

That's a general message. There was a soak test that was pulled so it was never submitted to Verizon due to stage fright fixes being implemented. So there is a wait time until next soak test and submission.