MOTO X Support in Japan?
ViperMeat

I have the Moto X™ - Designed by You (32GB) edition and I'm trying to find out if i's compatible with wireless networks in Japan (specifically b-mobile). I'm a phone rookie and there doesn't appear to be any clear information. Any help would be appreciated, thanks Smiley Happy

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: MOTO X Support in Japan?
jimmmah
Enthusiast - Level 1

A bit late so I don't know if this information is still useful for you or not.  My moto x (XT1060) works fine on b-mobile here in Japan.  The compatible band is W-CDMA 2100MHz.  No LTE, but it is better than nothing.  On the phone it says it is connected to NTT DoCoMo.

View solution in original post

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi there, ViperMeat! Thanks for asking about the global capabilities of the Moto X. Our records indicate that the device will not be compatible with network technologies of Japanese providers. You may, if you wish, contact the provider of your choice to discuss your device options!

I'm curious about your service. Are you currently a VZW customer that plans to leave for Japan on a temporary or permanent basis, or did you just by the device for use abroad?

DionM_VZW
Follow us on Twitter www.twitter.com/vzwsupport

0 Likes
jimmmah
Enthusiast - Level 1

A bit late so I don't know if this information is still useful for you or not.  My moto x (XT1060) works fine on b-mobile here in Japan.  The compatible band is W-CDMA 2100MHz.  No LTE, but it is better than nothing.  On the phone it says it is connected to NTT DoCoMo.

Aumsung
Enthusiast - Level 1

This information is very useful for me, however.  I look to be moving to Japan for a while and am really interested in getting the Moto X so for use over there and have something worthwhile to use when I return.

Was it a difficult setup?  Extra fees? Did you buy and individual SIM card?

I'd be very grateful for any information you could share on using this phone on a Japanese network.

Thank you.

0 Likes
jimmmah
Enthusiast - Level 1

It was not difficult to set up.  Had to put in the APN info as per the instructions on the package.  The only thing is you need a landline in Japan to activate the sim card, which I purchased from a BIC Camera shop.  No extra fees.  I got the 1GB card that was good for 30 days for just under $30.

Also note that the B-mobile sim card only provides data access, not voice.  So you can access mobile internet but cannot make calls (except VOIP).