Moto X (2014) VoLTE
jshin312
Enthusiast - Level 1

I bought the Moto X at least in part because I was told it get VoLTE within a few months of launch. It has now been 10 months and I still can't use voice and data at the same time--a feature that has been widely available in smartphones for over half a decade. Verizon refuses to answer even basic questions about why this feature has not been made available or when we can expect it to arrive. What's worse Verizon refuses to even acknowledge that this is a problem. The whole situation is just absurd. I've been with Verizon for quite a while now, but I'm seriously thinking about taking T-Mobile up on its offer to pay my family's ETF fees to switch carriers. Or hopefully my Google Fi invitation is coming soon.

Re: Moto X (2014) VoLTE
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Sorry for the trouble jshin312. We are here to help. We should always set the proper expectation for you. I would just like to clarify. It this with VoLTE, the ability for voice and data, or both?

BobbyN_VZW Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
4ringsnbr
Enthusiast - Level 3

I agree.  Now that the phones have the 5.1 Android version, which includes VoLTE native support, there is absolutely no excuse for Verizon not allowing advanced calling on these phones.  They would work identically to the Nexus 6-- may not have video calling option, but would have all other HD voice features.  This is the newest phone on Verizon that doesn't have advanced calling and was one of the first to be designed expressly for the feature.  They should at least tell us something.  If I'm stuck on Verizon, I'll probably look to swap for a 1st generation X so I won't continue to suffer with a crippled phone.

4ringsnbr
Enthusiast - Level 3

VoLTE is the only way this phone can do voice & data simultaneously.  It was designed to use VoLTE for this purpose, and Verizon has repeatedly told users that the upcoming software update would enable this feature to turn on advanced calling.  Well, now we have that update and still nothing from Verizon.

jshin312
Enthusiast - Level 1

This is exactly the problem. You either have no idea what's going on or you are deliberately obfuscating to avoid providing answers to my very simple questions. Your request for "clarification" doesn't make any sense--the only way to get simultaneous voice and data on the Moto X (2014) is to enable VoLTE. My very simple questions are (1) why hasn't Verizon enabled VoLTE on the Moto X (2014) when it is available on 15 other devices with similar hardware and software including the Nexus 6 and Droid Turbo? (2) when will Verizon enable VoLTE on the Moto X (2014)?

While I'm asking questions that will never be answered, I might as well ask some more complicated questions:

Did Verizon induce its customers into purchasing the Moto X (2014) based on the promise that VoLTE would be provided via software update within a few months knowing that Verizon couldn't actually deliver on that promise?

Even assuming Verizon initially intended to provide a VoLTE update within a few months, has Verizon since abandoned its commitment to providing such an update?

Has Verizon been lying to its customers about its intention to provide a VoLTE update so as to prevent or mitigate any financial losses or harm to the goodwill of its brand?

Is a Moto X (2014) fit for its intended purpose without simultaneous voice and data?

Even assuming a VoLTE update is arriving soon, is it reasonable to provide an essential and promised feature of a product halfway through its expected life cycle?

PGlennon
Enthusiast - Level 1

I want my VOICE AND DATA!!!!  What is the problem here?  I've been waiting and waiting and waiting... I originally bought the Moto X on the Edge plan - just as Verizon wants - back in late October.  There was NO MENTION IN ANY SALES OR MARKETING MATERIAL that this phone COULD NOT do simultaneous voice and data - pretty much a standard for the last 5-6 years.  I was told by some idiot manager at Verizon support that I should have checked the capabilities of this flagship phone and it was MY FAULT I didn't research this better!!  It's like buying a new car and not asking if it can go in reverse!!!  MY FAULT!  I actually had to go and buy an LG from Walmart to get simultaneous voice and data while I waited for the 5.1 update.  Now it's here, I activated my Moto X 2014, AND STILL NO SIMULTANEOUS VOICE AND DATA!!!  WTF????

jojar
Enthusiast - Level 1

You are spot on. I will say that when I upgraded to 5.1 there was an option for Advanced Calling 1.0 which I hurriedly clicked. It asked for permission to enable. I agreed. The phone then rebooted and that option was gone. Meaning, as we all know, Moto included the support in the update and VZW removed it from the upgrade. This is unacceptable.

PGlennon
Enthusiast - Level 1

So where is Verizon's response to this? We are all - anyone who bought this flagship phone on Verizon - waiting... And waiting... And waiting.

michelle0843
Enthusiast - Level 2

This is ridiculous.  Been with Verizon 5 years and have no voice over data with this Moto x 2014. Should have stayed with my cracked Droid razr which has the capability.

geoffw
Enthusiast - Level 2

Add another disappointed Moto X (2014) owner to the list.  My previous Verizon phone, the Galaxy Nexus, supported simultaneous voice and data, but my newer phone doesn't. Even though Verizon announced Advanced Calling "soon" with the phone when it was launched. My wife switched from AT&T to Verizon because of Advanced Calling so she could use voice and data at the same time, but the service was so mediocre she switched back to AT&T after a few weeks.  She's much happier now.  I'm just waiting until my Google Fi invite comes through and more phones are qualified to work on Fi.  This is pretty ridiculous that it's 2015 and our phones can't do voice and data at the same time.  In terms of metrics Verizon may have the best network, but in terms of capabilities it's mediocre compared to AT&T or T-Mobile