Moto X Brightness Problem after update
joshcsmith

I have a Moto X (2nd Generation). I recently received the ota update to Android 5.1 (from Android 5.0). I'm now running system version 23.16.3.victara_verizon.verizon.en.US

Immediately following the update, the phone's screen brightness isn't working properly. Before, I could turn down the brightness nearly all the way. Now, it stops getting darker at about the 50%. It is way too bright to look at in the dark. Additionally, even when the phone goes into "battery saver mode" and the screen dims as far as it can go now, I notice that the backlight for the softkeys is still super bright. And, probably because of this brightness, "battery saver mode" no longer seems to extend the battery life quite as much.

This update has really taken a phone that I thought was perfect and added an almost intolerable bug. I honestly can not comfortably use my phone at night anymore. Is there anyway to roll back the update or fix this? Please help!!!

PS: I've tried restarting the phone, and I've tried using 3rd party apps (Lux Lite) to control the brightness - they only seem to put a filter over the screen and they do nothing to dim the incredible brightness of the softkeys. Also, even when it's set to fully dim, the pixels never go off, even in the apps that offer that option - I thought one of the benefits of the type of screen on the Moto X was that a black pixel could actually be "off".

0 Likes
Re: Moto X Brightness Problem after update
Katieoutside

Yes! This is so annoying! I hate when an update makes something worse. It's way too bright at night now.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Joshcsmith, glad you brought this to our attention and I'll be glad to assist you with this brightness issue you are experiencing with your Moto X.

Just to clarify, the phone does not go past 50% brightness after the update? Have you tested the brightness in safe mode? http://vz.to/1DhKqBn Also, please try and clear the App Cache on the device and test the brightness. http://vz.to/1RA4UB0

GersonG_VZW Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

XX

0 Likes
joshcsmith

Hi.

The phone is too bright after update - it will not go darker than what seems like 50% of it's pre-update max brightness. This makes the phone too bright to use at night and when battery-saver comes on, the screen doesn't dim sufficiently to save battery very effectively.

After reading your post, I tested the brightness in safemode. It is still overly bright - so it is not a 3rd party app.  I also cleared the app cache on the device and tested the brightness again. This did not affect the brightness. It's still too bright.

I noticed this immediately after update. I'm pretty sure that is the cause. I really hope you can fix this problem or release another update.  There must be multiple people having this problem.

0 Likes
joshcsmith
0 Likes