Re: Moto Z Force Droid extreme battery drain since Oreo update
lorenzop_vzw
Verizon Employee

KevinARigney, I can certainly understand your sentiment about your phone's quality of life being impacted in regard to battery performance. Let's work together towards a resolution. Please check your inbox for a Private Message.

LorenzoP_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
alans_vzw
Verizon Employee

orjhawk, I do regret to hear about your negative battery life experience after the recent Oreo software update. I'll do my best to help and can imagine your level of frustration. I couldn't live off of 2 to 4 hours on one charge either. The software is developed in partnership by Google and Motorola. Verizon Wireless has no say in the user interface layout or the changes made. We only test the software to ensure it doesn't impact your overall Verizon service for calls, text and data.

I appreciate the feedback and the steps taken thus far. I apologize your last statement didn't receive a response. When issues like this arise, we simply take the feedback from customers and make the manufacturer aware of the situation so they can patch any known issues. No carrier can prevent negative impacts like this from taking place. The best recommendation I can provide is to attempt a Software Repair via our Software Repair Assistant at the link attached. I would strongly recommend simply setting up the phone as new and not restoring any type of backup to the phone for testing purposes. https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-209216/

If the battery issues still persist, please let us know and we'll be sure to provide you with our utmost attention so you get some type of resolution. What we guarantee is our network, Verizon Wireless can't prevent software updates from impacting all devices in a negative way. In our Disclaimer of Warranties, we do not warrant that your wireless device will work perfectly or will not need occasional upgrades or modifications, or that it will not be negatively affected by network-related modifications, upgrades or similar activity. Our goal will always be to help you troubleshoot the issue, submit the necessary feedback to Motorola and replace the phone under warranty if needed. This is the reasonable and expected practice of any major wireless carrier. I hope this information clears up the details and helps going forward.

Alan_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
gstallings5119
Enthusiast - Level 1

My husband and I also have the Moto z force and are experiencing these issues!

MSBNEB
Enthusiast - Level 2

So I got an update this morning and decided to install it right away (couldn't get much worse than what I already had). I was pretty hopeful at first that it was at least a slight improvement. My battery life after the update showed an estimate of 4 hours - before this update, the estimates had been more in the one hour range. I was able to take it off the charger and use it for a while and battery life seemed to be dropping quite a bit slower than it was yesterday (but still nothing close to what it was before Oreo). Then my phone hit around 65% and shut down saying it had no battery. Plugged it back in to the (original) charger and within a few seconds it showed 64%. So... slightly better but still pretty bad and still randomly shutting down. Looking forward to black friday deals on phones.

0 Likes
FREEKCJ
Enthusiast - Level 1

283 comments and several threads started years ago about battery draining and yet ZERO solution? I've had my Moto Z Droid for just about 2 years and have had trouble since a year in with it draining the battery quickly. Today, after I just installed a "security update" last night it went from 43% to shutting down in seconds. It's on the charger now and I can see the battery usage status and it looks like the Cliffs of Dover - slowing going down then WHOOSH right to the bottom. How? Why? No answers.

Iv'e done everything they say to do to try and fix the problem to no avail. I want to get a new (or used) phone and stay with Android, but I'm afraid of this same thing happening to my next phone.

No help from support, just the same stupid answers. They don't really care, just want your $$.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

As a consumer myself I understand how important it is to have a reliable device. I am happy to provide assistance. Based on feedback, these steps have been the most effective:

Please complete a Factory Data Reset, without restoring any apps, content or inserting any SD Cards into the device; followed by the re-calibrating process (see below). Once both are completed test the device for 72 hours and confirm battery life with MVD.

Re-calibrate the battery
Press and hold the power button until the phone reboots (10secs)
Plug phone into the OEM Turbo charger
Allow phone to charge to 100% (leave on the charger overnight).

If the behavior persists please provide screenshots of the entire Battery screen. (Settings > Battery > Usage Details)

Please let us know if this resolves your concern.

Melissa_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
lorenb_vzw
Verizon Employee

We are glad to hear there was some improvement with this latest update. However, like you we do want you to be able to enjoy your phone without the cord. After an update, the best way to ensure that your battery is working normally is to re-calibrate. Simply follow these steps:

Press and hold the power button until the phone reboots (10secs)

Plug phone into the OEM Turbo charger

Allow phone to charge to 100% (leave on the charger overnight).

With holiday deals around the corner I know that customers are anxious to see what will be available. Be one of the first to know by watching for updates at 2018 Black Friday Deals, Sales, Promos, & Offers | Verizon Wireless.

LorenB_VZW

Follow us TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response registry . This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!! 

0 Likes
palomad_vzw
Verizon Employee

We know having a working device is important, and we want to address this issue properly. We want to gather more details. What specific issues is the phone experiencing? When did this problem start?

palomad_vzw

0 Likes
alicias_vzw
Verizon Employee

FREEKCJ,

Help is here! A draining battery is definitely not the experience we want for anyone to have. The ongoing troubleshooting that you have done is greatly appreciated. I want to look into every aspect of getting this resolved for you as quickly as possible. I've sent you a Private Message so that I can gather much-needed information to assist you further. Please respond to me in the Private Message to continue. Thanks!

AliciaS_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
posies
Enthusiast - Level 3

Are you kidding me? After 30 pages of the same problem that happened right after Oreo, all on the same phone, same symptoms, sometimes multiple phone in the same family, you are still telling people to recalibrate and wipe it and start fresh?! It doesn't work!!! Verizon and Motorola broke our phones and won't fix it! Stop patronizing us and get a fix. We were told months ago that you were aware of the problem and working on it but still not fixing it! My phone works great to play games on, as long as it's in airplane mode! So basically it's a game brick. Shuts down randomly, no mater ter hmany times I reset, recalibrate or wipe it. Fix the phone or find a way for us to roll it back to nugget!