Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
iPhone 15. Newphoria. Get it on us. Online Only. No trade-in req'd. Limited time offer. Buy  |  Details.
end of navigation menu
3.2M Members 10.6K Members online 268K Discussions 43.9K Solutions
Re: Moto Z Force Droid extreme battery drain since Oreo update
KDJMAX
Enthusiast - Level 2

I notice in the battery usage more apps using than prior to the Oreo update (I'm constantly forcing stop in hopes it helps save the battery life), so I'm sure that contributes battery draining quickly. It's pretty pathetic that I sit at work and wonder, will my phone die today at 50% or 5%. Another issue since the update is not receiving voicemail notifications until hours or days later. Very disappointed with VZW and Motorola for still no solution.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

DAVMCC44,

We want to ensure your phone is working properly. We would love to look into this issue further with you. For clarification, do you also have the Moto Z Force? Is there any physical or water damage to your device?

0 Likes
jdkcpa
Enthusiast - Level 2

I found this solution on another thread and it seams to have helped with the drain.

I am a bit concerned that Verizon is not aware of this as a probable cause of the drain.

1. In settings, "Apps & notifications">"App info"

a. Find AppFlash. This is a Verizon addon to the Oreo Upgrade. (Odd they did not tell us this!!) Clear data, clear cache then disable

b. Find Google Play Services. "Storage">Clear Cache. Then "Data Usage" Disable Background data.

c. You might also want to look at some other apps and also disable "background data"

It took me a day and a lot of time on the charger before the battery life came back to a more normal drain. I am still not sure it is as good as it used to be.

Hope this helps and if so spread the word to the Moto Community.

Regards

0 Likes
DAVMCC44
Enthusiast - Level 1

Yes, I have a Moto Z Force Droid phone.  There is no physical or water damage to it.  

0 Likes
A_GARCI2310

I just did a Motorola update today and I no longer have appflash installed.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I do appreciate all that you have done Msbneb. I understand that having a battery that drains quickly can be annoying. We want to do everything we can to help. Since you have tested the device on safe mode then the next step would be to factory reset your phone. http://spr.ly/6588EEAW0 Please make sure that you back up all your information which is stated in "media" in the article.  When your phone comes back on do not add you Gmail or install your apps for the day. This will help us better determine if it was an app that was giving you the issue. Please let us know your results. 

Amber_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
SOFTWIND14

I tried this and no luck.  I have done all the resets, all the battery calibrations, everything..   My phone is now shutting down when it hits 70%.  This is not what I paid for.  My phone still has a couple months to be paid off so unless I pay to upgrade, I am out of luck with a phone that basically has to be plugged in all the time.

0 Likes
johntr_vzw
Verizon Employee

SOFTWIND14, I would be feeling the same way if my phone wasn't performing as it should. We do want to assist and find a resolution for you. You did a lot of troubleshooting there, but there's one more thing we would want to check. Did you run your phone in Safe Mode as well? If so, what happened with the battery life while in Safe Mode?

JohnTr_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question, please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
lorenb_vzw
Verizon Employee

We are glad to hear the phone is in good physical shape and do want it working smoothly again. When going to your Apps, Settings, Apps & Notifications, App Info, do you find App Flash? If so, please select this to clear the cache and data. When going to Google Play, have you ensured that your apps are all up to date?

LorenB_VZW

Follow us TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response registry . This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!! 

0 Likes
SOFTWIND14

i uninstalled appflash a few days ago.  Battery actually got worse (from shutting down at 50% to now shutting down at 70%).  Safe mode doesn't change anything, still runs down super quick. 

0 Likes