Moto z2 play oreo upgrade anytime soon?
hipaula8
Enthusiast - Level 2

is there any word on the Oreo update for the z2 play?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
49 Replies
mr_kludge
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have read this entire thread. What evidence do you have that the Z2 Play in Verizon stores has Oreo 8.x on them? Personally I stay out of Verizon stores if at all possible so I haven't checked it out. I do know however that very shortly after I purchased mine in mid-August that Verizon discontinued the phone. I had ordered one from both Verizon and Moto (the Verizon version) and when I was processing my return of the one to Moto (long story) I noted that they had also discontinued the phone. Perhaps there was still stock in stores at some point. This BTW is a bad sign for this phone since there is no real reason to stop selling it unless support is no longer. Verizon passed on the z3 play stating that there was no real advantage to the z3 over the z2. I was a bit in panic mode when they stopped selling it online but...I also had ordered z Z3 Play from Amazon but returned that one also when I found out that it was compatible but lacked essential services for me, namely; VoWiFi and HD Voice and a few other things.

I love the phone and have little issues with it except for an odd demise of IPv6 at times that I understand was fixed in a recent security update and of course Oreo 8.x. This only happens when I am connected to my WiFi mesh system at home (no other devices are affected and it's fine on all other networks aFaIK).

I'm more looking forward to 9.x Pie on this phone as long as Moto and Verizon do not renege like they have with most of the other Moto's I have had and my last phone that was a Blackberry PRIV. I've become accustomed to getting only one or maybe 2 updates on any cheep phone I purchase for Verizon. For the most part it has not affected me, but it is annoying. This phone is just a stop gap until the Pixel 3 comes down in price and/or is offered on other carriers.

0 Likes
hipaula8
Enthusiast - Level 2

The evidence is the phone in the store.  Yes, I do check with them because of this aggravating loop of blame.  They haven't stopped selling it & are selling the z3 as well.  I'm well aware of the reneging as it has gotten me twice.  It's truly annoying to ask questions & get nothing answered by customer service.

0 Likes
fodjab

[removed] Anyhow, I am dubious in your claim. perhaps next time you are in the store take a pic or scan of the Verizon Z2 Play phone that has Oreo 8.x on it. You could then post it to all the Verizon social media sites to shame them into releasing Oreo to all of the existing VZW Z2 Play phones out in the wild? I no longer have a store even remotely close to where I live, work or normally hang out. There is one a a far away town where my mother lives but I rarely go near it.

You sure the it is a Z2 Play and not a Z Play or Z3 or an unlocked Z2 Play? Is it an actual VZW Corporate store you are visiting or is it a reseller (authorized or not). Reason why I am dubious is that if they are not selling it online they won't be selling it in stores unless they are trying to get rid of stock that way. The phone is no longer available online or via phone. Also there is NOTHING posted online that ANY VZW Z2 Play phone in the wild (new or otherwise) has had an update. All the forums (developer and support) indicate that nobody has received it yet. There is a root you can do to get it, but you will loose functionality. Furthermore official VZW sites and information and other tracking sites have not reported ANY activity surrounding O for VZW Z2 Play yet. Only empty promises from Moto that it will be done. Same case with P-9.x

Folks are upset stating that it is bloatware that is being developed/tested/loaded but those are trivial. I suspect that there are issues with advanced features like VoWiFi, HD Voice and other things that are holding this up and they just don't have this as a priority. There are few Z2s out there compared to other phones plus they have stopped selling the phone and as I said that is ALWAYS a bad sign. It could be that since P might be around the corner that the phone will jump to there.

I am in no hurry for any update. I own a number of Moto 360 watches and my guess is that I will have to erase and restore each one of them each time a major update is loaded. That has been the case several times in the past and even with some security and interim updates (even with the Wear OS software itself). It takes me a couple days solid to re-do all the watched and then issues for day/weeks after.

Anyhow if you can grab a pic of the phone AND the update screen showing 8.x running on a VZW Z2 Play in a store that would be way cool.

​Content modified as required by Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

0 Likes
mr_kludge
Enthusiast - Level 2

Still dubious. Can you grab a pic of the phone and update screen. Then you could post it on all the VZW SM sites and maybe get some acton. I would love to see those pics if you can come up with them. You are the ONLY person on the net claiming this.

I don't have a store anymore near me or where I hang out. I assumed since they are not online or via phone anymore that the stores were not selling them either. Thought they had been discontinued which spells the end of support.

Anyhow not looking forward to the update anyhow since I have a number of Moto 360 watches that may need to be factory reset and synced to a new major OS, possibly twice in the near future...if...

0 Likes
oscarh
Enthusiast - Level 3

And here we go again - "contact Motorola, it's up to them."  Motorola has already updated the unlocked Z2 Play to Oreo (and, I suspect, security updates later than 04/2018), they will tell you the upgrade is "pending partner support."  In other words, VZW is making sure their bloatware works with the new OS version - I would suspect the Z2 Play gets updated to Oreo around 08/2019 (two years after release) or never, and updated to Pie sometime around 2021/2022.  I am saving my pennies for an unlocked phone that will receive updates from the manufacturer or Google in a timely manner.

hipaula8
Enthusiast - Level 2

VictorC, your attempt at an honest answer is appreciated.  I feel like I'm argueing with a politician.  I've stated the FACTS plainly- the Moto z2 Play in stores now HAS Oreo!!  WHY don't the other Moto z2 Play phones?  Motorola has obviously put a working version of Oreo out on the Moto z2 Play which means Google sent it to them.  If it's IN YOUR STORE, it should be ON EVERYBODY'S PHONE!!  This should have already been resolved or elevated to another level!!  I'm ready for some credit on my account or mods or free phone upgrade.

0 Likes
Smash591
Enthusiast - Level 2

For once, I wish a Verizon Customer Support professional would behave in a professional manner and actually read the thread first, then NOT keep posting the same cut and paste responses. It is offensive!

Those of us who have the Z2 play are fed up with the game and I, for one, am preparing to take my $3k per year subscription and give it to a carrier that gives a damn about their customers.

It would be nice if VZW could get their act together and give this community the honest answer we, your customers, deserve.

oscarh
Enthusiast - Level 3

To be fair, I have done my time on first level Hell Desk (which is now mostly online.)  We were not really kept in the loop as far as what the engineers were up to, and we certainly were not apprised of larger company strategy, nor of how the company interfaced with manufacturers and suppliers.  That said, it is apparent that VZW has no plans to update the Z2 Play any time soon - which is why I'm glad it was cheap - I plan to pay mine off as soon as possible, then get an unlocked phone based on reviews/reports of which manufacturer is quickest with OS *AND* security updates.  Just have to make sure it works with VZW, but there are a few that do CDMA.

0 Likes
joey2007ua64
Contributor - Level 3

oscarh wrote:

I plan to pay mine off as soon as possible, then get an unlocked phone based on reviews/reports of which manufacturer is quickest with OS *AND* security updates.

Verizon Certified Open Market Android Smartphones

Here is the current list of unlocked Android phones that are certified on Verizon's network.  Most of them will not support features like Wi-Fi Calling.  The Essential PH1 received Android 9.0 Pie on the same day as the Pixel line.

I have the Verizon Pixel 2 XL.  I took advantage of Best Buy and Verizon promotions that will reduce the cost of the phone to $350 over the device payment agreement.  It has a 2 year manufacturer's warranty and will receive 2 more OS updates.  Right now Best Buy is offering $300 off the 64GB model and $350 off the 128GB model when purchased with a Verizon device payment agreement.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/conditional-offers/pixel-offer/pcmcat1535723357816.c?id=pcmcat153572335...

Screenshot_20181002-164740.png

EDDYHJR71
Enthusiast - Level 2

Paula, the responsea we've received are a complete joke.  We're getting the same canned copy and paste Customer Service replies but no real specific answers to questions.

mr_kludge
Enthusiast - Level 2

Oreo has been released for the Moto Z2 Play Verizon version. My phone just notified me of the update. I'm going to take the plunge, but I bet I will be spending a couple days redoing my 8 Moto 360 watches. Fingers crossed.

oscarh
Enthusiast - Level 3

yep, saw the notification (see the other thread.)  Must be coincidence that the update is coming down now, after all the griping and moaning here and in other threads.  Maybe VZW *does* listen.

mr_kludge
Enthusiast - Level 2

I believe that this was always coming. My guess is that advanced features like HD Voice and VoWiFi probably delayed the release? We will never know for sure. Now I wonder how log 3.14159 will take?

0 Likes
mr_kludge
Enthusiast - Level 2

It's early on and I have only had this running for less than 2 days but I am noticing a marked increase in battery use and a decrease in battery life. This could be due to a number of things like a bunch of updates, my using the phone a lot more since update checking things and new apps on phone that have had to sync and install on watches. wondering if anyone else here is seeing that?

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

oscarh wrote:

yep, saw the notification (see the other thread.) Must be coincidence that the update is coming down now, after all the griping and moaning here and in other threads. Maybe VZW *does* listen.

VZW apparently released security updates for 7 phones on same day including this phone model.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
mr_kludge
Enthusiast - Level 2

No ill affects, so far. Everything seemed to come back just fine. However the phone is MUCH more responsive launching and running, most, apps. WiFi is much better and faster. I don't have the IPv6 issue with my WiFi mesh system at home (but I haven't had issues with that for about a week now). I am liking, some, of the new features.

One negative is that I have a few gig less space than before, but still have plenty free.

hipaula8
Enthusiast - Level 2

Finally, downloaded & installed with ease.  Phone is running better.  I enjoy some of the features they brought back (green dot on app with new) & screen brighten with notification.  Of course, that does drain battery so you have to work out that in your settings.  All apps had to go through updates & I found that I reset phone a couple times to refresh system.  It'll be easier from here until 9.0 gets released next year.

0 Likes
NICKH83
Enthusiast - Level 1

You should be able to download the update, now.

Smash591
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you. My Moto Z2 Play just received Oreo this morning. I'm still learning all of the new features. So far my phone is behaving like it did when it was new.

0 Likes
DJMAudio
Enthusiast - Level 1

VERY IMPORTANT!

Confirmed on multiple phones......

The October 26th 2018 Oreo release to the Z2 Play CAN/WILL Cause a boot loop if you have a Verizon Phone and you update the Security and Privacy App.

IF.... you get stuck in a boot loop on your Z2 after updating to oreo or updating your Security and Privacy app you unfortunately have to factory reset your phone, then disable/force quit the security and privacy app that defaultly is installed on the Verizon phone. 

To factory reset:

- Press and hold the power and volume down button at the same time to enter the boot loader.

- Select Recovery Mode

- You'll then get the android symbol with "no command" on the screen.

- Hold down the power button and tap the volume up button to get to the android recovery screen.

- On that screen select "wipe data/factory reset".

- Be sure to select "userdata + personalized content" to start fresh.

- After the wipe, select "Reboot system now".

Now that you're starting fresh go through your normal Google Login to get to the main screen.

VERY IMPORTANT... On all Verizon phones the Security and Privacy app comes installed and turned on by default.  DO NOT UPDATE IT, or you'll run into the same boot loop issue after a restart/power cycle.

Be sure to disable/force quit the Security and Privacy app before updating anything, either OS or other applications.  With the Security and Privacy app disabled the phone is running as it should on Oreo and I can update all of the other apps.

COME ON VERIZON... STEP IT UP... 3 DAYS OF FIGURING OUT THE EXACT ISSUE... VERIZON SHIPPED ME A 2ND PHONE BECAUSE THEY THOUGHT IT WAS HARDWARE AND THE IDENTICAL ISSUE HAPPENED.  WHAT DID THEY DO NEXT?  VERIZON SENT ME A 3RD PHONE WHICH IS PRESENTLY ON IT'S WAY TO ME.

EITHER STOP THE OREO UPDATE ON THE Z2 OR FIX THE SECURITY AND PRIVACY APP (WHICH WHO EVEN USES ANYWAY?)

I HOPE THIS HELPS PEOPLE.  GOOD LUCK!!!

0 Likes
mr_kludge
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the heads up. Do you have any detail of version S&P was at before and after updates. I haven't had any issues like that and the version on my phone is 5.0.49 which was last updated on Aug. 9. So anyhow not updates before or after the update to 8.x. I've been using S&P religiously howeverI don't use for Web security or allow it to scan all of my files. I have found both of those features problematic.

0 Likes