Re: Moto z2 play oreo upgrade anytime soon?
DJMAudio
Enthusiast - Level 2

VERY IMPORTANT!

Confirmed on multiple phones......

The October 26th 2018 Oreo release to the Z2 Play CAN/WILL Cause a boot loop if you have a Verizon Phone and you update the Security and Privacy App.

IF.... you get stuck in a boot loop on your Z2 after updating to oreo or updating your Security and Privacy app you unfortunately have to factory reset your phone, then disable/force quit the security and privacy app that defaultly is installed on the Verizon phone. 

To factory reset:

- Press and hold the power and volume down button at the same time to enter the boot loader.

- Select Recovery Mode

- You'll then get the android symbol with "no command" on the screen.

- Hold down the power button and tap the volume up button to get to the android recovery screen.

- On that screen select "wipe data/factory reset".

- Be sure to select "userdata + personalized content" to start fresh.

- After the wipe, select "Reboot system now".

Now that you're starting fresh go through your normal Google Login to get to the main screen.

VERY IMPORTANT... On all Verizon phones the Security and Privacy app comes installed and turned on by default.  DO NOT UPDATE IT, or you'll run into the same boot loop issue after a restart/power cycle.

Be sure to disable/force quit the Security and Privacy app before updating anything, either OS or other applications.  With the Security and Privacy app disabled the phone is running as it should on Oreo and I can update all of the other apps.

COME ON VERIZON... STEP IT UP... 3 DAYS OF FIGURING OUT THE EXACT ISSUE... VERIZON SHIPPED ME A 2ND PHONE BECAUSE THEY THOUGHT IT WAS HARDWARE AND THE IDENTICAL ISSUE HAPPENED.  WHAT DID THEY DO NEXT?  VERIZON SENT ME A 3RD PHONE WHICH IS PRESENTLY ON IT'S WAY TO ME.

EITHER STOP THE OREO UPDATE ON THE Z2 OR FIX THE SECURITY AND PRIVACY APP (WHICH WHO EVEN USES ANYWAY?)

I HOPE THIS HELPS PEOPLE.  GOOD LUCK!!!

0 Likes
mr_kludge
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the heads up. Do you have any detail of version S&P was at before and after updates. I haven't had any issues like that and the version on my phone is 5.0.49 which was last updated on Aug. 9. So anyhow not updates before or after the update to 8.x. I've been using S&P religiously howeverI don't use for Web security or allow it to scan all of my files. I have found both of those features problematic.

0 Likes
DJMAudio
Enthusiast - Level 2

There was a new version released on 10/25 (one day before the oreo release on the Z2) that appears to be doing the breaking...... S&P Version 5.0.54.

I'm honestly not sure what version was on the phone prior to the update.  All I know is it was replicatable for me on two Z2's everytime running oreo 8.0 and updating S&P to version 5.0.54.  The next time you restart your phone will start the boot loop.

I just have S&P completely disabled now.

I just don't want others to rack their head against the wall like I did for a few days.

0 Likes
mr_kludge
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks again. Sounds like a case of bad timing. The update actually released on the 23rd. My guess is that VZW pulled the new update based on issues or does not load to Oreo? Mine has not called for an update for S&P but if it does and it is the version you mention I will be careful to to update to it.

0 Likes
mr_kludge
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just checked and the officially released version of VZW S&P is 5.0.49. Phone says it was released on 8/8 but the online web play store says 10/25. So my guess is that the newer one was released then pulled and the old put in it's place. It's the only thing that makes sense. I have set my phone to not auto update apps. until it tries to update in case the bad version comes around. I suggest that you all do also, or disable the app if you don't use it.

0 Likes
DJMAudio
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just looked.  5.0.54 is still listed as an available update on mine.

Screenshot_20181028-205407.png

0 Likes
mr_kludge
Enthusiast - Level 2

That is rather interesting. I can only guess that since you downloaded it at one time it's still there. Mine still shows the older version and was updated 8/8 which just happens to be the day that I activated my phone. The Boss's ZPlay still has the older also but was updated 8/18 which I assume is the day either her or I got around to updating it (or when it just happened to be pushed/available to her?). I have has auto updates turned off since you posted the alert and if I ever see THAT version come up I will not install it. I will chance a later update. Perhaps you get presented with the new under certain circumstances but if I go to the Play Store online (not on the phone) not signed in the version I have on my phone shows as the latest, not the one you are being presented with.

Posting this since yesterday I was alerted to install the October 1st security update which seemed to go well. Only issue I have had is yesterday my phone did not want to stay connected to my JetPack/MiFi. I'm pretty sure that is more a problem with the MiFi and not the phone (or at least I hope so). I was on the go and traveling all day and I have found that I often have to reset the MiFi to get it going again after traveling long distances or to have it re-do it's Po wireless survey and avoid interference from other WiFi networks. It seems to be ok today. Anyhow no issues with my home and work networks so far and in fact seems better in many respects than before the update. I will know better later as I have a car trip where I will need the pack to stream the whole way.

Still loving this phone despite the looooooong wait for 'O'. Not too worried about Pie. It should come EVENTUALLY. Nice to see regular monthly security updates hitting since release of Oreo. Hope it keeps up.

0 Likes
mr_kludge
Enthusiast - Level 2

One last note. I just checked the Play store online not logged in and it states 5.0.49 is the latest released on 10/30 so I assume that they pulled the new and are working on it. We can hope that is the case. I'm usually very quick to update (probably should not be) but not until I get the push/notify which for some reason can sometimes be days or weeks for me. More so on my previous Blackberry PRIV. This phone has been pretty speedy with update notifications esp. after a reboot (since it does a checkin). I'm glad mine did not prompt me for that one.

0 Likes
TamaraH_VZW
Verizon Employee

mr.kludge-

Thanks for keeping us updated. There was a recent software update for the moto z2 play that was released on 11/12/2018. We don't have any updates on Oreo, however, this update will give you the latest security patches while also optimizing the device performance.

https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/motorola-moto-z2-play-update/

You can stay on top of software update information here Advanced Devices Software Updates | Verizon Wireless

TamaraH_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
mr_kludge
Enthusiast - Level 2

Not pertinent. We were/are discussing a recent update to Verizon Privacy and Security that boot looped one of the members Z2 Play's. And it's PIE that we are waiting on and you do have updates to Oreo. There has been THE update to Oreo and at least one Monthly security update so far.

Anyhow I forgot to mention before that a while back I got silly and decided to clean up the cache on my Z2. I know that Oreo+ takes care of things on it's own and cache cleaners and even Verizons own My Account app with it's device check can't really deal with that as easy as before Oreo. Anyhow after clearing cache (not data) on almost every app the next day I got a rash of updates that had already happened. One of them was VZW S&P and I panicked a bit until I saw it is still the currently released version and not the one that boot looped a poster a while back. These updated happened automatically and I have auto updates turned off hence my panic. Anyhow I guess some apps that are written for Oreo+ don't like their cache cleared by manual means (some but not all--there were probably only 10-12 if that that updated--not).

Anyhow no ill effects...just in case others experience this. And let's hope for an update to PIE way before a year from now 😉

0 Likes