Motorola XOOM 4G Upgrade - Update
srajam
Enthusiast - Level 3

As per my source within Verizon, i heard this morning that Motorola XOOM is likely to get the 4G upgrade sometime this Sept. A mailer to this effect is likely to go out in the next few days to XOOM owners / individuals who have registered for XOOM alerts with either Motorola and/or Verizon. I am hoping this info is true. Honestly, given the amount of rumors that has been floating around I have no faith in Motorola & Verizon; however, any official update from either of these folks could be the 1st step in rebuilding its customers confidence in their products & services.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Motorola XOOM 4G Upgrade - Update
KinquanaH_VZW
VZ Employee Emeritus

I'm happy everyone is excited about new enhancements to the Motorola Xoom because we are as well. At this time the Motorola Xoom is still a 3G tablet and we don't have information regarding the upgrade to 4G but it did receive a OS update recently. Some of the enhancements include Screen Scaling Compatibility Mode, Adaptive Streaming Support for Movies, and New EAS policy. Listed below is a link to additional information about the update and all of the enhancements.

http://support.vzw.com/system_update/xoom.html

Additionally, I encourage everyone to sign up for email alerts regarding new products and services that become available. You can use the link below:

http://content.atomz.com/pb00002ce4/publish/emailoptinsearch.html

View solution in original post

0 Likes
dave_flagg
Enthusiast - Level 3

By now most of us have gotten the email instructing us to wait for an email. Total garbage. My belief is that it was sent to try to stave off hundreds of posts and inquiries about why verizon is ignoring the very people who helped get their tablet market get going. I suspect we may not see this happen until the very end of Sept at the ealiest. And what about our "coming soon" sd support?

0 Likes
rive0108
Spoiler
I talked to Motorola a few days ago and the 4G update is scheduled to be available in about 2 weeks. Also i currently have and use a 16GB sdcard in my Xoom [sdhc class 10]. At first i was going to buy the 32GB sdcard, but it is only a class 4, and since I wanted to be able to load/play avi/other format movies/content on my Xoom, i went with the faster 16GB.
Spoiler
For easy access to the external1 sdcard, be sure to download the file manager hd app, and the rockplayer if you want to enable video movie/file playback
0 Likes
KinquanaH_VZW
VZ Employee Emeritus

I'm happy everyone is excited about new enhancements to the Motorola Xoom because we are as well. At this time the Motorola Xoom is still a 3G tablet and we don't have information regarding the upgrade to 4G but it did receive a OS update recently. Some of the enhancements include Screen Scaling Compatibility Mode, Adaptive Streaming Support for Movies, and New EAS policy. Listed below is a link to additional information about the update and all of the enhancements.

http://support.vzw.com/system_update/xoom.html

Additionally, I encourage everyone to sign up for email alerts regarding new products and services that become available. You can use the link below:

http://content.atomz.com/pb00002ce4/publish/emailoptinsearch.html

0 Likes
mgerbasio
Enthusiast - Level 3
0 Likes
JoeBobHarris
Enthusiast - Level 3

hahahahahahahahahahahaha

That is hilarious. Serioulsy you made my day. :smileyvery-happy:

0 Likes
dave_flagg
Enthusiast - Level 3

So, now my local vzw store has the 4g xooms for sale? I am going in there today and let them have a piece of my mind! This is rediculous. I love my xoom. but it really ticks me off that I could have waited 6 months and gotten the same thing with everything included that was promissed to ME for a lot less money. I feel like vzw owes me somthing for all of this. Dont bother posting back to me about how stupid i am for buying something that wasn't finished, etc. I have always bought things as an early adopter and have NEVER gotten this burned by a dealer. NEVER!! I love debugging, troubleshooting and helping to get things made better for future releases. It is actually part of my job to do this sort of thing as well. I enjoy it. But there has always been some sort of benifit for doing this. This is probably the first time I have had this much grief while helping a company out. And paid full price for the pleasure. Come on VZW. cough up the fix for those of us who helped get this product recognized by the masses as having the potential to be a great product. You've screwed this up enough.

0 Likes
Spiral
Master - Level 1

dave_flagg wrote:

So, now my local vzw store has the 4g xooms for sale? I am going in there today and let them have a piece of my mind! This is rediculous. I love my xoom. but it really ticks me off that I could have waited 6 months and gotten the same thing with everything included that was promissed to ME for a lot less money. I feel like vzw owes me somthing for all of this. Dont bother posting back to me about how stupid i am for buying something that wasn't finished, etc. I have always bought things as an early adopter and have NEVER gotten this burned by a dealer. NEVER!! I love debugging, troubleshooting and helping to get things made better for future releases. It is actually part of my job to do this sort of thing as well. I enjoy it. But there has always been some sort of benifit for doing this. This is probably the first time I have had this much grief while helping a company out. And paid full price for the pleasure. Come on VZW. cough up the fix for those of us who helped get this product recognized by the masses as having the potential to be a great product. You've screwed this up enough.

I won't tell you what you don't want to hear, what I will tell you is that you got 6 months use of the ZOOM without waiting.  If you truly love playing with newly released models of electronic equipment then you got what you wanted and should be very happy.

You deserve nothing extra from Verizon or Motorola (IMO).

0 Likes
dave_flagg
Enthusiast - Level 3

I can almost accept that except for the fact that I paid for 4g, it is now available and I still cant get what I paid for. And vzw is not telling us when we will get it. the last email said to wait for another email that would have further instructions. total garbage! You took my money and have not yet delivered what I paid for. So either fix it or give me my money back

0 Likes
mickydeenyc

It is true that we got to "play" with the Xoom for months! So why do I feel like a part of some giant Beta Test?  I have to agree with Dave here... I was told by a VZW rep that the "4G upgrade will be available sometime in late Spring or Summer." 

I've been a loyal VZW customer for a long time.  I've dragged my family and friends to VZW. 

It feels a bit like when Apple came out with their SECOND version of the iPhone so quickly on the heels of the first version.  At least Apple gave all the early adopters decent rebate allowances to use at the Apple store.  Granted it was only good at the Apple stores, but still, NOBODY HAD TO EVEN ASK!  Apple just did the right thing.

As a long-time customer, I do feel a bit burned.  When I bought my Xoom, I imagined using my laptop much less.  I use it a little less.  I was trying to check the NFL website's scoreboard Sunday on my Xoom.  The page was awful!  It didn't format correctly, I couldn't scroll the scores.  And since I was relying on 3G, it took forever. 

Oh well.  My Xoom works great as a Kindle reader, albeit a very heavy one.

Peace, y'all...

Mick

0 Likes