Recent maintenance 212.166.3 update broke WiFi/Bluetooth
Beausoleil

Ever since Verizon pushed the 212.166.3 update (to fix emergency dialing?), my 2013 Moto X cannot properly run WiFi and Bluetooth simultaneously anymore. For WiFi to be able to see nearby access points, I have to turn Bluetooth off. With Bluetooth on, it may "see" a single AP - and shows very low signal strength, but cannot successfully establish a session with it. Right now I'm at work, and besides our private 802.1x authenticated WiFi net, we have a public one which uses WPA2. If I turn on both Bluetooth and WiFi, I can only see the WPA2 net, but can't authenticate to it. If I turn off Bluetooth, I can see our WPA2 net, our 802.1x net and some other nearby WPA2 nets as well.

If Bluetooth is on, when I try to connect to the WPA2 net, I get no response. If Bluetooth is off, I can successfully connect to the the WPA2 net (and probably the 802.1x net, but since it's my personal phone my company won't issue me a cert to authenticate with it).

I've tried everything short of a factory reset: I've power-cycled the phone, cleared the cache, even cleared the cache partition via recovery mode. Clearing the cache partition works for a short time, but within a few hours I have to turn off Bluetooth.

Has anyone seen a similar problem?

Tags (3)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Recent maintenance 212.166.3 update broke WiFi/Bluetooth
pa2k4p
Contributor - Level 1

I had same issue on Kit Kat after update, did a factory reset while still Kit Kat, and problem did not go away.

I went through the Lollipop update *without* a reset and problem persisted.

I did a factory reset *after* the Lollipop update and it's been working fine. A lot of trouble but it worked for me.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

A glitchy phone is never a good thing, Beausoleil. Let's work together to get those connections back on track again. I see that you have taken several steps already in hopes of getting back on track. Have you deleted the wi-fi connection and re added this from scratch? As clearing the cache partition does the trick for the short term, it does sound like something on the phone is not working well with this connection. Other than this software update, do you recall and new apps or games that recently installed?
LorenB_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Beausoleil

No new software, no games.

And it's not just problems connecting with a single SSID/access point. With bluetooth active, I can't see any wifi access points, whether they're 802.11a/b/g/n/ac, in the 2.5 or 5 GHz band. If I fire up my handy wifi analyzer app on the phone (WiFi Analyzer 3.9.5 by Kevin Yuan), it can't see anything - whether I'm at home or at work. Turn off bluetooth, and everything's fine.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
Beausoleil

I appreciate all your efforts so far. What bluetooth device are you connecting to? Is this true with multiple bluetooth devices? Lets also look at the reverse situation. If your bluetooth is off & you connect to wifi. Does wifi hold? If so, when you turn bluetooth on does your wifi then disconnect?
BryanS_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Beausoleil

Bryan,

Bluetooth itself normally works flawlessly - my 2013 Ford Escape with Microsoft Sync, my JBL BT headphones, and a Channel Vision in-home wireless music system... I don't normally use WiFi in the car, so no problems there.

The problem is in general use of bluetooth. and WiFi simultaneously. So, yes - if BT is off and I connect to a WiFI AP, WiFi will work fine. If I enable BT, the first thing I notice is that WiFi can no longer see any AP's nearby - except for the one I'm connected to. WiFi signal strength still shows a strong signal, but I can no longer communicate via TCP/IP with anything. If I toggle WiFi, I can't see any AP's at all. If I turn off BT, then the local WiFi AP's suddenly become visible again. Every now and then, WiFi will suddenly "work" for a few minutes if I have BT enabled, but then inevitably fails...

I assume that the IP default route learned by WiFi still has a higher metric than the IP route over the 4G LTE modem link, and always gets precedence as long as WiFi is enabled, even though there isn't a layer 2 link established over WiFi. Otherwise, traffic would fail over to the 4G connection. Seems like the link error handling logic is broken in the new S/W patch...  Can you run this info by 3rd-tier support and see if anyone else has had this problem with a Moto X 1st-gen phone?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
Beausoleil

I appreciate all the detailed information. You seem very familiar with your phone and the wifi connections you are working with. It would make sense that established wifi connections of that caliber would have precedence over say a public wifi point at a restaurant or cafe (just for example). Have you tried to delete the wifi network in question then re-add it to see if by re-adding it your connection will be reconfigured as well to remain available even when bluetooth is engaged? Also, just to cover all our bases, what version of software are you running on your phone?
BryanS_VZW

0 Likes
Beausoleil

Bryan,

Are you seriously asking what version of software I'm running? Hint: it's the title of my posting, and in the first sentence... In case you need the full version because you, for some reason, can't see my original posting, it's 212.166.3.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US.

More info: Android version is 4.4.4 from July 2014 (which is two releases behind the latest Android update - version 5.1, which AT&T and T-Mobile pushed out the their subscribers in June - the same time you released this "patch" version to 4.4.4.

Baseband version is MSM8960PRO_BP_2323.038.123.00R

Linux kernel is 3.4.42-ga0b19b9

Build # is KXA21.12-L.1.26-3

My IMEI is [removed]

My LTE IPv4 address at the moment is [removed]

My LTE IPv6 address is [removed]

My WiFi MAC address is [removed]

My WiFi IPv4 address is [removed]

WiFi security is WPA2-PSK-CCMP[ESS]

Signal strength is pretty good - -57dBm (at work, with bluetooth disabled). 11 SSID's visible (on 13 different AP's)

And yes, I've tried deleting and re-adding my WiFi SSID/passphrase for the affected network. My work SSID passphrase changes weekly.

And yes, I seem to be familiar with my phone and WiFi because I've been a network engineer in the telecom and IT space since way before there was a public Internet. I started in telephony back when AMPS was king and SONET was the next big thing. I've worked with ATM networking and IP networking since Cisco was a garage operation. I've designed airborne networks for the Air Force, and terrestrial networks for the Marine Corps. I worked for Ericsson in the past, on their AXE switching platform for wireline and wireless voice. A software patch that breaks a working phone just upsets me a tiny little bit...

Personal information removed as required by the

Message edited by Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi Bryan,

Thanks for additional info! We know that software updates should improve the device. My apologies that this did not occur. I have reviewed feedback from this update and this issue has not been reported as a known issue on this make/model. What happens when you place the device in Safe Mode http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-83017/  then attempt to connect with Bluetooth on?

Thanks,
PamelaF_VZW

0 Likes
Beausoleil

Ok. Now we're making some progress. With the phone in safe mode, and my wireless JBL headphones connected via BlueTooth, I can stream Google Play music stations via WiFi.

So it appears that an app update soon after the 212.166.3 update introduced the problem. I found an app (Addons Detector) that shows application update history in Android. I'll dig thru and try to find and remove apps updated since the Verizon push update...

0 Likes
tenesejedd

I just recently started encountering the exact same problem. Have you had any luck identifying what app may be causing this issue?

0 Likes