Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
iPhone 15 Plus. Newphoria. Get it on us with select Unlimited plans. New line req'd. No trade-in req'd. Online only. Ends 3.31. Buy  |  Details.
end of navigation menu
3.2M Members 5,189 Members online 268K Discussions 44K Solutions
Re: Security & Privacy identified Shell 4.4.4-5 as a medium threat risk.
GARFRE28

I've got the same problem with this shell warning & cannot delete it!

Come on Verizon I've been a paying customer for over 20 years how about some answers here!  Smiley Sad

0 Likes
Afcl0701

I'm having the same problem with Shell 4.4.4-5 critical threat. Come on Verizon fix this. We pay to much $ to have issues like this .

0 Likes
bqCathy
Enthusiast - Level 2

To Verizon: I don't do Twitter so you have to respond here.

To others having this issue: my phone works perfectly fine with the Shell forced stop. I don't know what it does but not using it is better than a virus. Read my prior posts to see what I did to handle the issue. McAfee gave me no option for removal because it is a factory installed app. If any issues appear with the app stopped I promise to post ASAP. It seems that for now we are on our own. Good Luck and have a great holiday.

Cathy

0 Likes
GTYYUP

I'm getting the same notification re Shell Version 4.4.4-5 Detection name: Artemis!b706fc298ffe

I have disabled it...via Force Stop. My phone seems to be running fine. But, I am still getting the notifications.

Verizon, please advise if this is an actual threat and how to proceed.

0 Likes
TEPS78
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm having the same issue!  Let's go Verizon!  Get this cleared up immediately!!!

BPSGROUP
Enthusiast - Level 1

Warm greetings good people. I too have received the same threat notifications...first while on the East coast earlier in June (then they ceased for several days) and now again in Texas. I say this because I am out of town and thought I truly had picked up a real threat via some unsecure wifi connection.

After spending 2 hours speaking with 1st level Verizon tech support and tier 2 tech expert, Brian in Little Rock, Brian's conclusion is there was probably a software glitch which went undetected at the time of testing for the most recent Security & Privacy update. Verizon rolled out the update and we are very probably now seeing this glitch in the form of a false positive threat detection notification. Again...the medium threat notification following malware scans may show a false positive resulting from a recent software update glitch.

Brian has notified the appropriate Verizon evaluation team requesting further testing. After identifying the bad code, they should be able to rectify the problem relatively soon. He did mention that we have our Independence Day holiday coming up, so patience may be required.

Rest assured, Brian ranrthe gauntlet on this with me and I am confident that I am going to do Nothing to my Droid Maxx for now. You may choose to do what you wish... although there is really nothing one can do until the glitch is located and solved.

Happy Forth of July to all of you Good people!

Brad ~

bqCathy
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi Brad,

Thank you so very much for all of the time and effort that you put into finding the answer about this issue. I sincerely appreciate it, talking with Verizon would try a stone's patience and I certainly don't have the patience! I figured it was nothing important which was why I posted how to stop the notifications and force stop the app. Thanks again and have a Happy 4th!

Cathy Ann

MrsB2001

Thanks for the tip but for me, oddly enough, neither force stop nor disable are highlighted, so to speak, neither are clickable.  For now all I can do is ignore the notifications.

0 Likes
bqCathy
Enthusiast - Level 2

Choose KEEP it will stop the notifications mine were coming from McAfee. Read my previous posts to see how to force stop. I have a Droid Maxx if that makes a difference for you.

Cathy Ann

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I'm sorry to hear that you're having this issue as well, RADIOHEADMEL. When did you notice this notification popping up?

CecileC_VZW

0 Likes