Re: Security & Privacy identified Shell 4.4.4-5 as a medium threat risk.
bqCathy
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hey Verizon guys,

I would suggest that you read the ENTIRE thread before posting. If you did you would find out that we customers have figured out what to do to stop the alerts and stop the app. One very wise and patient customer spent over 2 hours on the phone with your tech support and posted their answer. This app runs on only 36k so it can't be that important, I don't know what it does but it's been shut off on my Droid Maxx for about a week and it has not effected my phone. No virus people, just a false positive. It's not like a computer virus that sets your hair on fire. FYI I read my newspapers on my phone, shop on Amazon, eBay and Etsy. I listen to the radio and podcasts and I watch tv on Optimum. None of these have been effected.

I don't do Facebook or social media which is much worse than this issue for invading your devices. Calm down, shut it off and wait for a patch. Now I'm off to see Ant Man, have a good weekend.

Cathy

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I see, thank you for verifying those details for us Rwood91306. The factory reset is the highest step that we can take to determine if your device is defective, and if you are still having issues after that then the next step for us would be to get you a replacement for your phone. To confirm, for how long have you had your device, and also has there ever been any physical or liquid damage done to your phone?

David_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
bqCathy
Enthusiast - Level 2

Please read all the pages of this thread. Resetting doesn't work. Stop reading the go to remedies off your Verizon computer screen. From this posting you have confirmed what I suspected all along- this problem came up on older Droid phone perhaps to scare us into purchasing a new phone. Forget it bub, it's not happening. This app does nothing, force stop it and move on. Read all of my posts, I am not repeating myself for those too lazy to read. Don't fall for Verizon's trick. Let them fix this issue that they manufactured. Threats of viruses scare people. Now I have to see if they mess with my phone because of this post.

Cathy

0 Likes
ALLHUS50
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am following 4 different threads discussing this issue including one I started. Respectfully, you folks at Verizon need to address this issue instead of telling everyone to reset their phone, which does not resolve the issue. Or a better one on another stream, asking if the phone had water damage? Please either indicate if you are truly trying to resolve the issue or you really don't care about your customers issues and just want them to purchase a new phone.

Regards

Rwood91306
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have owned the phone 4 or 5 years, and there is no water damage. However, considering how many other people are having the same problem, (as much as I appreciate the offer), I do not feel a replacement is in order, and will certainly not help the others. and there is no guaranty a replacement will not eventually have the same issue. Better to figure out what is happening, why, and how to fix it for all.

bqCathy
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am still waiting for my response from you Verizon guys. I am sure that others who have been jollyed along by Verizon on this thread have even stronger words for you guys. Bottom line just tell the truth that this is a glitch and not a virus. Not a ploy to get us to upgrade our phones. Is it so difficult to answer the customers who are actually responsible for your pay check?

Cathy

Content modified as required by Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

bqCathy, I understand the concern seeing an alert like that. Verizon is aware of Security and Privacy calling out Android Shell as a "Medium Threat Risk" and are actively engaged with the developers for a resolution. We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused. I've sent you a private message, to gather additional details to help our engineers with working on the issue.

John_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
chuspin

So far there was not fix for me.  The phone rebooted and after burping DROID it stays there and does not turn off, the battery is exhausted now.  I am going to need to replace the phone and or get a better service than Verizon.

I am very tired with this situation and I need phone service because my communications are a right in this country, but this open market is a mess.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We understand the need to have a working phone, chuspin. I only have a cell phone and heavily rely on it. To confirm the phone only shows the Droid symbol? Were you able to get a replacement device?

Tionna_VZW

0 Likes